Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stinkin weatherman is messing with us- two weeks in a row, beautiful all week, then nasty winds pick up, blow in a bunch of clouds on Saturday, blow them back out again on Monday and we get Hawaii weather for the rest of the week. But I fooled the weatherman today. It still looked fairly nice when I got up, and I`ve been meaning to see how my bike does on unpavement, so I stuffed an extra layer of warm things in my bag and hit the road.

The pavement ends on the main road servicing my area about three blocks from home. I headed out that way first, cut across the top end of Stead Airbase (where they hold the National Air Races every September). It`s only about 3 miles of gravel, but it`s a pretty bad surface, full of washboard and has rocks scattered all over the place. The funky looking post sticking up over my bike is one of the race course marker pylons. It was kind of windy right from the start, but that doesn`t make so much difference on bad roads.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Redrock Road

On the other side of the air base, my road tees a cool paved road that winds around up and down a bunch of juniper covered hills with a few ranch houses here and there. The wind was getting progressively stronger and it actually helped me up most of the climbing. I`d heard of tailwinds, but wasn`t quite sure if they really existed. They do.

About 45 minutes later, I stopped on the "summit", spent a good half second considering riding all the way to the end of this road and back on the highway, then weenied out. There was a taqueria calling my name back the way I had come from. The same wind that had pretty much kept me out of the little ring on the way up now pretty much kept me out of the big ring on the way down, but that ain`t such a bad trade.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antelope Valley

The wind was really bad, even going downhill, so I changed my plan half way back. I headed off piste again on another gravel road that cuts over into the next valley by a much more sheltered route. This one is longer than the first gravel section, but not as washboarded and no rocks. It was a blast! Also, considerably less windy than the main road I had been on. Hit half pavement cresting the hill into Antelope Valley, hit the wind again at the same time, then hit full scale blacktop a quarter mile later. The last section has a really steep hill to get me over into my own valley and the wind was trying hard to push me back down. I was glad to have mountain bike gearing. Going down the other side into Lemon Valley was easier than going up the first side, but the wind still took the fun out of an otherwise super fun descent. Oh well. No matter how you slice it, I enjoyed myself AND managed to get in most of a nice ride before the weather came in. I`ve been home, then driven to the taqueria and back in the mean time and it`s like a gale out there now. Glad I acted early.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I can see some Lenticular clouds forming over the mountains so the wind must have been up pretty good. I got lost out in that country once. Nice pics.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Excellent pictures...... I love the second pic of the saddle and pole.... outstanding

Excellent posts and photos, especially this one above as mentioned earlier by Dave Hickey.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your post is everything that's right about cycling. Yet another "it's not about the bike" reminder...not saying your Schwinn isn't sweet...but it's a great reminder that you don't have to have a Riv/fixie/Gunnar/Waterford whatever to enjoy yourself.

What type of handlebar bag is that, btw? Looks like a decent size and a nice mount.

NTTAWW Riv/fixie/Gunnar/Waterford...but it's important to ride what you got, whenever you can, as far as you can.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Seven-11 isn`t very far, actually. I just went in the direction away from all that stuff.
Lenticular clouds? I always thought lentils came from lentil orchards.
Cervelo-er, the bag is a thrift shop find that I mounted Lone Peak pannier clips to. It was never designed to go on a bike, but it fits the bill nicely.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
I love that freakin Bike! I had the same one for years and gave it to my brother. He still has it.

I never considered using it as a drop bar tourer!?

I might just have to take it back!

If you can please post, pm or email a pic of just the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, great pictures. As a fellow photographer I'm impressed. Well Done!

Now if you just had a kickstand (which I get ribbed for) you wouldn't have to lay your bike on the ground. :wink5:

John in Long Beach, CA

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
Good stuff and thanks for letting us peak into your world.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Are you in Nevada? Nice photos and so different than the Eastern US. Wide open space here is a view across a tobacco field.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No kickstand on this one, Long Beach- you busted me! To tell the truth, when I take it on the road, I figure to swap to 1.5 or 1.75 tires and BMX pedals and probably bolt a kickstand to the BB/chain stay junction.

Yes, I live about halfway between Reno, NV and the California state line. Reno mailing address, but in unincorporated Washoe County.

Thanks, Everyday.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow Rodar, you've got more get up and go than I do. I'm finally getting to where I can ride about 20 miles without feeling like I'm going to lose my lunch but that cold morning scared me off. I got up Saturday morning thinking about riding and instead headed out of Reno for lunch in Nevada City.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, take your time Ridgetop. I`m sure you`re chomping at the bit to get out and chew up some road, but don`t push it and end up regretting it later. You`ll get there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts