Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Cannondale's website, the famous SL crankset is 580g (with BB), and it's the lightest on the planet !!

So I spent $800 on one of these, and am still very excited about it,until I found / saw this :

Zipp Vuma Quad
Weight: 564grams w/bb
Q-factor: 146mm
Spindle: 29.64mm
Deflection-D: 0.209
Deflection-ND: 0.308
SxW: 36
Lateral-D: ? (I didn't have this one recorded)

Likes: Weight, stiffness, q-factor, looks and even the price. While on the upper end of the cost spectrum, it's not much more than Record yet with a big savings in weight and a decent stiffness. Again with muted graphics it matches any bike. It's the closest in SxW to Thm that we've seen and at a better price which also includes rings.

Dislikes: Rings. The rings could certainly use some work on their shifting ramps and pins. That wouldn't be much of a dislike if I could put TA or Stronglight rings on it, but since I can't it becomes much more of an issue to me.

· extremely biased
874 Posts
you'll have to run the sleeve to make that one work in the BB30 since the bb is threaded and those are more like 590-600 in the standard.

The SISL is a better crank. Ask your dealer why they are not coming the Super Six Ultimate? It has nothing to do with weight.

Starnut

· Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
Myles:

Are you certain the Vuma Quad is available for a native BB30 bike? The spindle on the Vuma Quad is integrated into one of the crankarms. This would necessitate a longer spindle for an outboard bearing setup vs an inboard bearing setup (native BB30).

Had a chance to ride the Dura Ace 7800 on an 2008 Orbea Orca and my CAAD4 has the Dura Ace 7700. I definitely prefer my Hollowgram SL to either one of them. Of course, the comparison would be more accurate had I used the same frame on each test ride. Took off the standard chainrings of the SL in favor of Specialites TA Hegoa chainrings (slightly heavier) but I prefer the appearance of the Hegoas. No problems in shifting but I must admit, the standard Hollowgram SL chainrings are super light thanks to its extensive machining. They have lots of ramps and pins. I'm certain their shifting would be on par with their Shimano Dura Ace counterparts.

CHL

· Registered
136 Posts
CHL said:
Myles:

Are you certain the Vuma Quad is available for a native BB30 bike? The spindle on the Vuma Quad is integrated into one of the crankarms. This would necessitate a longer spindle for an outboard bearing setup vs an inboard bearing setup (native BB30).

Had a chance to ride the Dura Ace 7800 on an 2008 Orbea Orca and my CAAD4 has the Dura Ace 7700. I definitely prefer my Hollowgram SL to either one of them. Of course, the comparison would be more accurate had I used the same frame on each test ride. Took off the standard chainrings of the SL in favor of Specialites TA Hegoa chainrings (slightly heavier) but I prefer the appearance of the Hegoas. No problems in shifting but I must admit, the standard Hollowgram SL chainrings are super light thanks to its extensive machining. They have lots of ramps and pins. I'm certain their shifting would be on par with their Shimano Dura Ace counterparts.

CHL
Yes, yes...I understand your concern regarding the inboard or outboard bearings. Cannondale designed BB30 to the world to be the next industry standard; so far there is Cannondale and Specialized using this setup for its weight savings and increased stiffness. When Cannondale released the SuperSix this year, they released a limited run of SuperSix Ultimate's which, along with SRAM Red, came speced with a BB30 edition of the Zipp Vuma Quad crankset! Supposedly, this is the lightest and stiffest crankset on the market.

In terms of preference, I have always enjoyed the Dura-Ace 7800 for its stiffness and shift quality. By comparison to the Hollowgram SL, the shifting alone would sell me on the Dura-Ace regardless of the Hollowgram SL's 100g weight savings and 10% more stiffness. I ride a CAAD9 now with Ultegra 6600 crankset and plan to soon upgrade to the 7800 crankset. The new 7900 crankset will be 80 grams lighter and 20% stiffer...Look out Cannondale!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.