Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I'm in the market, but with YT and teh GF driving an old rig I bought for $1200, theoretically at some point in the hopefully not-too-soon future, I will be.

This got me to thinking:

If I bought a late-model used car from a private party, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do better than a dealer. But, this would be a pretty significant chunk of change, of course.

How does one... carry out this transaction? I bought my last car off of Craiglist and just showed up at the seller's house with $1,200.

But, if it were $10,000? I don't think I'd feel comfortable with that. This was in my area:
http://www.komonews.com/news/92816714.html

And, yet, money orders and such aren't safe for the buyer.

What do you do, offer to meet the person at your bank, do the test drive, and walk in together with the title to get the cashier's check?

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Well are you getting a loan or paying cash?

Getting a loan, talk to several banks first. see if you can get pre-approved for a certain amount. Or, open a line of credit at a fixed rate (probably higher interest than a car load with the car as collateral).

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Argentius said:
What do you do, offer to meet the person at your bank, do the test drive, and walk in together with the title to get the cashier's check?
Sure, that would work. Assuming you can do the test drive during banking hours.

I would do the test first, because if you meet at the bank the owner is out the travel time if you don't buy. Then set up the meet at the bank to do the money/title swap.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paying...

I got a loan to buy my house recently.

It'll be the last money I borrow -- Lord willing and the creek don't rise, as they say.

Creakyknees said:
Well are you getting a loan or paying cash?

Getting a loan, talk to several banks first. see if you can get pre-approved for a certain amount. Or, open a line of credit at a fixed rate (probably higher interest than a car load with the car as collateral).

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
If you are getting a loan, best to do it in person at your bank. I don't think most sellers should have a problem with that.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
I thought you were anti car and just bought one to have around "just in case"?

I thought this was cool.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I've been lucky enough to not get into a bad craigslist situation with largeish amounts of cash

when it gets to be time to do the deal, maybe having the seller/buyer meet at the bank to do the exchange wouldn't be a bad idea, the buyer should know the cashier's check is good if he is there to watch you get it

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True enough

That's exactly what I did do.

At some point, though, it'll break. I won't replace it until something blows up that ain't worth repairing.

I read BMX's thread and just got hypothetical.

q_and_a said:
I thought you were anti car and just bought one to have around "just in case"?

I thought this was cool.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Oh, so this was truly just hypothetical.

In that case, bring cash and pack heat. You are less likely to get ripped off while toting a gun.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
q_and_a said:
Oh, so this was truly just hypothetical.

In that case, bring cash and pack heat. You are less likely to get ripped off while toting a gun.
I don't have a gun, but I pack a mean stabbin' in the livarz.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Get me one of your 2011 29ers and I'll get you one helluva car loan. I know people.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sylint said:
Get me one of your 2011 29ers and I'll get you one helluva car loan. I know people.
I don' wanna borra yer money, but, I'll get ya the two-niner and any other bike we make, for a new Jazz, even if we call it a Fit. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts