Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking to get a new bike and i wanna actually ride it before i buy... This would be my first NEW bike.

Places i know about:

Performance Bike
Jenson USA
REI
BIkeology

But none of them seem to carry the Specialized Allez and google isnt helping.

Anyone know of another LBS near Torrance, Carson, Marina Del Rey, LA Area ?

Cheers!

·
Registered
296 Posts
There's also pricepoint you can try or ebay.

CFrancisco said:
So i'm looking to get a new bike and i wanna actually ride it before i buy... This would be my first NEW bike.

Places i know about:

Performance Bike
Jenson USA
REI
BIkeology

But none of them seem to carry the Specialized Allez and google isnt helping.

Anyone know of another LBS near Torrance, Carson, Marina Del Rey, LA Area ?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Several I recommend

for higher-end bikes in the South Bay is The Old Bike Shop on Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach, Ted Ernst Bicycles on PCH in Manhattan Beach, Triathlon LAB in Redondo Beach (usually has some nice Road bikes even though they are Tri shop) and for the ultimate eye candy in road bikes, Helen's in MDR. Helen's in Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach is good too and concentrate on mainstream bikes.

For the Valley area, try Bicycle John's in Burbank, Sundance Cycles in Agoura, and Westlake Cylcery in Westlake Village. I'm sure there are other great high-end bike shops but these are the ones I have been impressed with. If you are looking only for Spesh bikes, use the link provided by the previous poster. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cynergy Cycles in Santa Monica are superb, great customer service, really know road bikes, good inventory, totally ok with you taking bikes on test rides - they let me wander off on an Intense 5.5 just to check it out.

I ended up buying the 5.5 somewhere else, but I had my Fenix built there.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Palos Verdes Bike (near Torrance) , www.pvbike.com , is another "Specialized Concept Store", as is Cynergy in Santa Monica.

Having dealt with both them of them -- purchased wife's fully built bike at PV and my frameset at Cynergy, I'd give the edge to Cynergy for being more knowledgeable about the bikes & general fitting issues.

Note that Helen's Cycle sells most brands except Specialized.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The greater Pasadena area has a whole slew of good bike shops. Here's just a partial list of my favorites:

Velo Pasadena
Incycle
Helen's Bicycles, Arcadia
Budget Bicycles, Eagle Rock
Temple City Bike Shop
Jones Bike II, San Marino

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
kyoseki said:
... they let me wander off on an Intense 5.5 just to check it out.

I ended up buying the 5.5 somewhere else, but I had my Fenix built there.
I'm sure they appreciated that.

Maybe you saved a fortune, but I would rather pay more and reward the LBS that helped me out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bill Silverman said:
The greater Pasadena area has a whole slew of good bike shops. Here's just a partial list of my favorites:

Velo Pasadena
Incycle
Helen's Bicycles, Arcadia
Budget Bicycles, Eagle Rock
Temple City Bike Shop
Jones Bike II, San Marino
Open Road Bicycle Shop pasadena IMO

·
Registered
28 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I'm sure they appreciated that.

Maybe you saved a fortune, but I would rather pay more and reward the LBS that helped me out.
Maybe I already had a good rapport with an existing LBS that had built all of my other bikes and were offering to cut me some serious deals on the hardware I was planning on putting into my new one?

Did you think of that? Or is a 5 minute test ride enough for you to switch allegiance to an entirely new store just because your regular one doesn't happen to have a bunch of $6k trail rigs sitting around waiting for someone to buy them? (or at least, if they do, they don't have the particular size you're looking at).

It's not like I had them build the ****ing bike and took it out for a 4 hour ride somewhere, it was a 5 minute test ride around the block on a bike they already had sitting in the window (a bike that was, incidentally, a particularly hideous shade of beige, seriously, who thought beige was a good color for a mountain bike?).

... at any rate, the amount of crap I've bought at Cynergy since then more than makes up for it, I once went in there for some inner tubes and left with like $600 worth of stuff. Halfway home I had to turn around and go back because I realized I'd forgotten the ****ing inner tubes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts