Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The East Coast Greenway will stretch from Calais, Maine, to Key West, Florida, a 2,900-mile distance. The project will provide non-motorized users a unique way to travel up and down the East Coast through 25 cities and 16 states. Walkers, cyclists, runners and other active-transportation users will be able to travel on a continuous, firm and paved greenway with a route specifically designed to give travelers a traffic-free experience, East Coast Greenway Alliance, the non-profit organization behind the project

Nation's Longest Bike Path Will Connect Maine to Florida - EcoWatch

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
beatles: it's getting better all the time!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
AMAZING!!!!!!!

I couldn't find any estimated completion date though. Does anyone have one?

Wow.....just....freaking.........WOW!
Sorry to seem like a wet blanket but my guess is this will never be fully completed. The logistics of this seem overwhelming. Dealing with private property, existing government property, highways, waterways, etc seem nearly impossible.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Sorry to seem like a wet blanket but my guess is this will never be fully completed. The logistics of this seem overwhelming. Dealing with private property, existing government property, highways, waterways, etc seem nearly impossible.
Hate to say I agree with you...

I was looking at the list of current paths in the NYC area and while noticing that it goes thru the Bronx, came to the conclusion that there are no paths out of NYC and about all the way thru Conn., and without on-street sections, there's no route.

Not sure how they are going to do this.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Thumbs up for a cycling Appalachian Trail but, like others, am pessimistic.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Okay let me rephrase, or rather adapt my question, given the info you guys are posting:

Is the entirety of the 2,900+ miles intact, paved, and ridable on a road bike even if not completely composed of enclosed paths? In other words, is there at least a bike lane on a trafficked street in the places that don't have an actual, discreet MUT path and can you ride from Florida to Main on a mixture of bike lanes and MUTs rather than having to take to many of the streets with nothing but traffic or some lame 6 inch shoulder in spots?

And if not, is there at least an ETA for that?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Cool. Hope it comes to full fruition.

Up until recently I thought bike paths were great and all but as far as me using them goes I didn't have any interest. That was until I got a load of the bike paths in Quebec. Just miles upon miles of remote and quiet paths though the woods but connecting urban centers. Route verte interactive map | Vélo Québec

I imagine the East Coast of the US will be a much bigger challenge than Canada because of population density and different culture re; public/private interests but still it has been demonstrated in Canada that it can be done.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Sorry to say, I am pessimistic as well. It is still severely fragmented. Are there any pieces of it that extend more than around 20 miles?

2030 sounds very optimistic. Keep in mind that the fossil fuel industry, auto manufacturers and well heeled organizations like AAA are constantly fighting alternative transportation and public transit.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Keep in mind that the fossil fuel industry, auto manufacturers and well heeled organizations like AAA are constantly fighting alternative transportation and public transit.
Even when this is completed I doubt it will put the slightest damper in the fossil fuel industry.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
AAA is anti-alternative-transport?? Dammit.........thought they just included a bike program for stranded cyclists, though I think that ends up being just as expensive as calling a cab or whatever.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Even when this is completed I doubt it will put the slightest damper in the fossil fuel industry.
No it won't. But that is not how they think. Their thought is that they would rather see the money spent on roads and highways. Same with the AAA.

Money has to come from somewhere.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
AAA is anti-alternative-transport?? Dammit.........thought they just included a bike program for stranded cyclists, though I think that ends up being just as expensive as calling a cab or whatever.
I don't know of any free cabs, so no it's not just as expensive.

But even if so, calling a cab is not an option for a lot of people in a lot of areas at a lot of times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.