Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ENVE acquired by parent company of Mavic and other sports brands;

Mavic and Enve Composites under same ownership ? what it means | CyclingTips

Except for when it's wet, I love the SES 3.4's for the lightness, stiffness and response.

I think it's a safe bet that the Mavic brand will revert to lower-priced alloy wheels, leaving the premium carbon wheels in the ENVE stable.

Not sure I'd agree with suggestion that Mavic will intro carbon stems, bars, posts etc. Alloy for sure, again following the ENVE=premium and Mavic=standard branding strategy.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Means all those Enve jobs in the USA are going bye-bye in short order. Mavic will go wherever the labor is cheaper.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
There's no reason those $3,000 Enve wheels can't continue to be made in the U.S. I think its far more likely that Mavic internally license key patents and sell a made in Asia version of the Enve under the Mavic label at a lower price point. Its a far better selling point for Mavic to say, it has Enve technology than to devalue what the market believes Enve technology represents.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
There's no reason those $3,000 Enve wheels can't continue to be made in the U.S. I think its far more likely that Mavic internally license key patents and sell a made in Asia version of the Enve under the Mavic label at a lower price point. Its a far better selling point for Mavic to say, it has Enve technology than to devalue what the market believes Enve technology represents.
You're new to this capitalism thing, aren't you?

Of course there is. What company on Earth would not turn away an opportunity to fire expensive US workers, and get rid of their expectations of the world's most expensive healthcare, overtime and work hours, and get rid of workplace safety law, and so on....all while drastically increasing profit margin? BTW after the offshoring, the prices will stay the same-because people were willing to pay them before.

Companies only have a loyalty to how their balance sheet.

Sure it won't happen overnight, odds are to keep the brand moniker from going completely to pot Mavic will deflate the balloon gradually in a manner they hope no one will notice.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts

Of course there is. What company on Earth would not turn away an opportunity to fire expensive US workers, and get rid of their expectations of the world's most expensive healthcare, overtime and work hours, and get rid of workplace safety law, and so on....all while drastically increasing profit margin? BTW after the offshoring, the prices will stay the same-because people were willing to pay them before.

Companies only have a loyalty to how their balance sheet.

Sure it won't happen overnight, odds are to keep the brand moniker from going completely to pot Mavic will deflate the balloon gradually in a manner they hope no one will notice.
inb4 the move to PO...

At any rate, I think November's wheel sales are about to experience an upward surge.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I just don't agree here. If Mavic shuts down Utah its because they blew it up or mis-managed the process. I'm thinking Parlee where the lower end bikes are made overseas and the Z1 & Z0 are made in the U.S.

Even before the buy-out, Enve decided wheels get made in Utah and everything else overseas in places like Vietnam. Besides Enve is slated to move into a new facility with more production capacity.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

Of course there is. What company on Earth would not turn away an opportunity to fire expensive US workers, and get rid of their expectations of the world's most expensive healthcare, overtime and work hours, and get rid of workplace safety law, and so on....all while drastically increasing profit margin?

While your probably correct in this case as carbon bike parts are is a ripe business for going elsewhere maybe you should be a little more concerned with facts when you make blanket statements.
The US is the second largest manufacturing country in the world. While I don't have the answer to your question I'm quite sure the list would be to big for this site to handle.

Edit. WTF. Not sure how something I typed ended up looking like it was a quote from someone else.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
I just don't agree here. If Mavic shuts down Utah its because they blew it up or mis-managed the process. I'm thinking Parlee where the lower end bikes are made overseas and the Z1 & Z0 are made in the U.S.

Even before the buy-out, Enve decided wheels get made in Utah and everything else overseas in places like Vietnam. Besides Enve is slated to move into a new facility with more production capacity.
And why on Earth would Mavic keep manufacturing here when they could 2x or 3X their profit margin by having the toys made offshore?

You don't seem to understand how vulture capitalism works in manufacturing. A couple years...and "Enve" will be a marketing term for their top tier of wheels made in China and still sold for $2,000USD because people are suckers. Mavic an ostensibly French origin company already doesn't make anything in France, with their K wheels being made in China or Romania for several years now.

Also important to the consumer, ENVE sold not only wheels but also rims for building....Mavic has all but completely pulled out of selling individual/pair rims and only wants to sell wheel "systems". If you want Enve rims to lace up with any arbitrary wheel build-buy them now.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Means all those Enve jobs in Veitnam are going bye-bye in short order. Mavic will go wherever the labor is cheaper.
There, I fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amer Sports bought Enve, not Mavic. Amer is Mavic's parent company. Also Amer has offices in Ogden UT. So I don't necessarily see production moving overseas anytime soon. One thing that nobody seems to consider (and this is 14 years of working with China manufacturing) is the cost of legal freight coming from China. yeah you can make things cheaper in China, but once you roll in the cost of logistics and dutys you are almost no better off sending products overseas to be manufactured as opposed to stateside. *edit* I should qualify that last statement by adding that this is true, only if you want a true quality item from China.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
There, I fixed it for ya.
Enve has claimed to be US made and owned for years. If you know otherwise, by all means.

Amer Sports bought Enve, not Mavic. Amer is Mavic's parent company. Also Amer has offices in Ogden UT. So I don't necessarily see production moving overseas anytime soon. One thing that nobody seems to consider (and this is 14 years of working with China manufacturing) is the cost of legal freight coming from China. yeah you can make things cheaper in China, but once you roll in the cost of logistics and dutys you are almost no better off sending products overseas to be manufactured as opposed to stateside. *edit* I should qualify that last statement by adding that this is true, only if you want a true quality item from China.
Lots of companies have "offices" in Ogden...how many actually make anything there? Enve is (for now) the only one I can think of. Hell Amer is a great example owning "Mavic" and having their products (like wheel goods) made in China and Romania.

Re: shipping....Depends on how you send it. With things like ePacket shipping via USPS it is far cheaper to import a good into the US from China than it is to send that item domestically. It is why US eBayer sellers/resellers are going bust.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
seems wheels are different than other bike parts.
Meilenstein makes wheels in Germany, not cheap either, and is successful at selling them, but when it came to make a bike, they farmed it out to Asia.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
seems wheels are different than other bike parts.
Meilenstein makes wheels in Germany, not cheap either, and is successful at selling them, but when it came to make a bike, they farmed it out to Asia.
If I had to guess...

The Bean-Counters looked at tooling cost to make frames as well as the time in training/experimentation to get employees competent in frame layup....and then looked at the offshoring/outsourcing bid from Giant or others and decided it was an economic no brainer in $$$ and time to farm it out.

Especially in a time where every major bike label farms out all or almost-all of their frame manufacture to Taiwan/China-there's zero shame in not-making-it in house, because everyone else is already doing it. And the consumer has long past gotten over the label on the frame just being a label.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: shipping....Depends on how you send it. With things like ePacket shipping via USPS it is far cheaper to import a good into the US from China than it is to send that item domestically. It is why US eBayer sellers/resellers are going bust.
Smaller individual freight, yes. Bulk shipments and container loads are much different.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Enve has claimed to be US made and owned for years. If you know otherwise, by all means.
ENVE has only claimed that their wheels are made right here in the good ol' USA. ENVE bits - and that includes forks - are made in Asia.

"ENVE proudly manufactures 100% of our carbon fiber wheel products in Ogden, Utah. When we first started, we thought we had to move our manufacturing overseas to be competitive. After a lot of sleepless nights, we made the hard decision to design and manufacture our rims in the U.S. instead of outsourcing them."

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
This sounds like a fun discussion! I like to play too.

I agree with Marc's sentiment to a large extent. Some thing will change. It's rarely that 2 big name companies merge and business stays as usual. I suspect in the future, more products of BOTH Enve and Mavic will get outsourced to Asia (Vietnam, Taiwan, China). I'm sure Mavic employees are asking some of the same questions Enve employees are asking. But chances are there will be some changes down the road. Hopefully the US workders are not affected.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Not good for Edge....I mean...Enve.....oops....I mean... Mavic. lol

Seriously, they suck. They always have and will continue to do so...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts