Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total novice (which will explain alot in a minute) to bike tech and such, I picked up a Ironman Centurion today and started to tear into, being that it needed a serious cleaning, and go to the crank. I noticed it was not the normal crank thus not fitting my standard crank arm removal tool. Being the impatient/jerry rigger that I am, I decided to find something to use to try and get the crank off. I am came across my magnetic multi head screw driver and thought that one of the large phillips adapters would work well. How ever next thing I know I had shoved the little phillips tip all the way into the internally threaded axle in the bottom bracket. Needless to say I can not fathom a way that it is coming out. I guess my question is, what should I do now. Is the bike ruined? By that I mean the I dont really want to spend the money trying to remove and replace the crank and bottom brackets and have them installed. So since I cannot thread the crank arm bolt back on being that there is a foreign object in the way now :D I am assuming it is a bad idea to just ride it and hope that the crank arm doesnt fall apart. What about tack welding the crank arm the the axle since I dont ever plan on changin the biopace crank.

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
If your bottom bracket axle is hollow use a thin punch on the non-drive side to punch it out. Good luck

·
fun2none
130 Posts
Try using a magnet to extract it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check to see if its hollow, its sorta wedged in there, so a magnet or pliers wont work.

If its not hollow, what does everyone think about the welding idea?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
First, no tack welding. Right now here is what you got. Any decent shop can remove that crank and it will be fine. The worst case is that they cant get out the head of the screwdrived and you have to get a whole new bottom bracket. So right now you are looking at between 35-50 parts and labor for a new bottom bracket and getting the new crank installed. Maybe a bit more in labor depending where you live.

As mistakes go this is fairly benign. Don't beat yourself up to much. Edision, the inventor of the light bulb famously said (and i paraphrase here) When asked if he felt like a failure because it took him over 1100 attemts to build a successfull lighbulb, Edision replied "No, i just now know 1100 ways that you cant make a light bulb"

So you know never to use one of those replacable head screwdrivers again on your bike. LOL LOL LOL

Good luck and post what happens.

Bill

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Unless you hammered it in, I don't see why pliers (or vise-grip pliers as alexb618 suggests) wouldn't work. There looks to be enough room on either side to get a decent grip.

Otherwise, maybe taking a screwdriver and a mallet and gently tap around it to loosen it a bit.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
I once stripped the threads on a crank trying to get it off because I left a washer in there. A cold chisel and a hammer got the crank off and since your BB is probably toast anyhow that's the way I'd go. Option B is to ride around the block until the crank loosens up on its own, although that will ruin the crank as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
im just try to figure out why its in there in the 1st place?..put the crank puller on it and it will use that to pull the arm off, after that it will be easier to get ahold of to get out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
tac a rod on to the bit and pull it out.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
first

First, get a proper crank removal tool and get the crank off and out of the way, so you don't screw it up, too.

I'd remove the bottom bracket from the bike. If you are trying anything that isn't normal, remove the part so you don't destroy other parts, and it will be more convenient, anyway.

Probably a solid axle, so can't poke it out. Don't try drilling. Screwdriver bits are hard, and your bit will likely just wander and mess up the axle, instead.

I'd say that if you can't get it out with needle nose pliars, just get a new bottom bracket. If you don't want something top of the line, they aren't that expensive.

Definitely do not ride it without a crank bolt in place. You could screw up the crank as it loosens, and it could just fall off unexpectantly, leading to "serious bodily injury or death." Not kidding.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is the drive bit actually wedged in there? If not, can't you just turn the bike on its side and let gravity do its job? I hope this is not coming across as a smart @ss comment - just posing another possible solution.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Those 600/Ultegra cranks are still in demand, in decent shape, they can fetch $40-$65. As well, the Centurion Ironman frame is also a quality frame. Avoid "jerry rigger" work-around's...if you don't have the proper tools, it is worth it to disassemble-assemble any bike right. Otherwise, breaking parts and learning the hard way often cost an equal amount or more.

Hope you can get the bit out and the threads aren't damaged. :)

BTW. Trying to drill out a hardened bit is going to be a challenge at that size. Try using some locking pliers and see if you can pull it out. I would also think the BB spindle is also hardened so that may pose an equally challenging drilling task. If so, I'd suggest just trying to have the crank removed and considering the BB as toast. A proper crank puller should still be usable and it will remove the crank safely but it will push the bit intot he threaded spindle portion ruining the threads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts