Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After hearing my BB start ticking today (FSA ISIS, no surprise there...) I've decided that it's time to stop screwing around with crappy bottom brackets and just go ahead and get a Phil Wood one. That means square taper cranks. I have no problem with that, but the choices are getting increasingly limited. My bike is a blend of Chorus and Record components, so the natural choice would be Campy cranks. The gotcha is that I've been using 50/39 chainrings (I know, non-standard) and like the combo, but I don't know of a way to get that setup with Campy cranks and rings. I'm not against using a different brand crankset, but putting Shimano cranks on a Campy bike would just seem so wrong. Are there any viable crank alternatives to get what I'm looking for that will allow me to use a Phil Wood BB? Should I just bite the bullet and hope my bum knee won't explode with a 52/39 setup? Go with a compact 50/36 and learn to shift through the gears properly?
Before anyone suggests an external bearing crankset, without launching into that debate, I'd really rather go with a Phil Wood BB and be done with it.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I think a Sugino crank might just be what you are after. They are without a doubt the most underrated crank on the market. Light, stiff and square taper with some very nice chainrings. The XD500 compact is probably exactly what you are after. It'll run you about 120 bones.
May I also suggest keeping the FSA ISIS crank and replacing your bottom bracket with an SKF. The SKF bottom brackets are expensive, but they don't seem to blow up like the cheap FSA, Truvativ or RaceFace units do.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rubber Lizard said:
May I also suggest keeping the FSA ISIS crank and replacing your bottom bracket with an SKF. The SKF bottom brackets are expensive, but they don't seem to blow up like the cheap FSA, Truvativ or RaceFace units do.
That'd certainly be a good option. Where could I get an SKF bottom bracket?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
ric426 said:
That'd certainly be a good option. Where could I get an SKF bottom bracket?
Are you sure it's the BB and not your pedals or possibly a loose chainring bolt? I've been riding the same Campy Record BB since 2000 and never had a single issue with it. Seems like people go through BBs here faster than bar tape.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Another option would be the Stronglight "Twister" ISIS. It comes in ti or steel spindle versions.

I put their square taper JP400 on my fixie conversion because all the Shimano stuff is now low-end garbage (no more UN-72's). Alloy cups and smooth as silk. To top it off, it was made in France.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.