Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly race road all summer simply to prep for CX season but now that its here (and road season is done,for me at least), I sometimes wonder if I'm going to lose some form just when its most important to me. I'm curious what you all do to keep on form throughout CX season. I try to do at least 2-3 road rides/week at moderate pace (not race pace by any means) usually aboout 25-30 miles each. I'm on the CX bike at least 3 of the other 4 days doing a combination of gravel, a little pavement, and trail. Those rides are usually in the 15-20 mile range. This keeps my weekly mileage in the 125-150 mile range and I hope keeps me fit without flaming out.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

·
Registered
228 Posts
It depends on your age and recovery abilities from a hard weekend of racing. I'm close to 50 and recover slow so after a hard weekend of racing CX I'll do core work on Monday, an easy 1 hour ride on Tuesday, then try some V02 max intervals on Wednesday.

If racing on Saturday I'll take Thursday off and then do some openers on Friday.

If racing on Sunday, I'll do a tempo ride on Thursday, take Friday off, and do some openers on Saturday.

Everybody is different in how they recover and respond to training. If you're young and recover fast you may want to do two interval sessions during the week.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great response, thanks! I'm 49 so the days of quick and easy recovery are behind me but I still manage ok imo. The interval thing is the piece I am keying in on here. During road season, I never do intervals since I race weekly in a 1/2/3 crit that gives me more (and harder) interval training than I can shake a stick at. Now that its over, I guess that's where I should focus some time weekly. Good to hear that's part of the regimen for you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
At one time I was trying to do 2 interval sessions during the week and it didn't work for me. I didn't have any snap in my legs for the weekend race after two mid-week sessions. Since a race is all intervals, for me, just one more interval session during the middle of the week keeps my top end power trained without wearing me out for the upcoming race on the weekend. Good luck and just experiment with what works best for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
maybe a bit late for this season, and not sure if you have already incorporated it, but running and weight based strength training for both upper body and core are always huge pluses for the transition phase. I also add squats and deadlifts into my regime as cross season gets closer. May not work for everyone, but after a long road season, I ride less and work on the accessory strengths a bit more for cx season.

·
Registered
262 Posts
For sure you need to keep doing or begin doing intervals. You can do generic VO2 stuff such as 5-7x3', 3x5", 4x4" etc. Or you can mix it up with more cross specific stuff such as starts into a flying lap at VO2ish pace then an easy lap, then repeat. Still not bad to do some longer FTP efforts in those road rides too. If not threshold then SST which shouldn't kill you too much. A run with surges or short hill repeats is great too - doesn't need to be long just need the efforts.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
intervals are definitely the consensus so I'll be sure to keep those going now that I don't have the benefit of crit racing. the strength idea makes a lot of sense too since it clearly comes into play more in CX than on the road. running is a non-starter for me as I abhore it with every ounce of my being but I can certainly understand the benefit.

I'll put together my plan after tomorrow. Second race into the season on a course that suits me well and that I finished third on last season so I"m optimistic that my road work will carry me through this one like it did in the opener (managed a third there despite some first lap mechanicals that had me off the bike twice fixing something). After that though, I have to incorporate some of the great advice you guys are giving and do more than just put miles in.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts