Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly race road all summer simply to prep for CX season but now that its here (and road season is done,for me at least), I sometimes wonder if I'm going to lose some form just when its most important to me. I'm curious what you all do to keep on form throughout CX season. I try to do at least 2-3 road rides/week at moderate pace (not race pace by any means) usually aboout 25-30 miles each. I'm on the CX bike at least 3 of the other 4 days doing a combination of gravel, a little pavement, and trail. Those rides are usually in the 15-20 mile range. This keeps my weekly mileage in the 125-150 mile range and I hope keeps me fit without flaming out.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great response, thanks! I'm 49 so the days of quick and easy recovery are behind me but I still manage ok imo. The interval thing is the piece I am keying in on here. During road season, I never do intervals since I race weekly in a 1/2/3 crit that gives me more (and harder) interval training than I can shake a stick at. Now that its over, I guess that's where I should focus some time weekly. Good to hear that's part of the regimen for you.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
intervals are definitely the consensus so I'll be sure to keep those going now that I don't have the benefit of crit racing. the strength idea makes a lot of sense too since it clearly comes into play more in CX than on the road. running is a non-starter for me as I abhore it with every ounce of my being but I can certainly understand the benefit.

I'll put together my plan after tomorrow. Second race into the season on a course that suits me well and that I finished third on last season so I"m optimistic that my road work will carry me through this one like it did in the opener (managed a third there despite some first lap mechanicals that had me off the bike twice fixing something). After that though, I have to incorporate some of the great advice you guys are giving and do more than just put miles in.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts