Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On high intensity intervals or hill repeats or sprint workouts, what is everyone doing? Anyone want to chime in on their particular training specifics? I am just getting started with seriously trying, with some intellegence, to incorporate 'speed-work" into my training and when I read the training books (just started doing that two seasons ago) I find em a bit hard to follow. All those numbers and tables and pie-shaped diagrams

I've 'sucked' forever on climbs so I want to improve. The latest plan is to work more intense intervals into my program. I've done plenty of base miles, about 250-300 miles per week all winter down in California, with an average climbing total of about 15,000' per week. So, I've not been lazy overall, just 'doggin-it' up some of the climbs at below my LT. I've encountered some 'over-training' symptoms described by Friel and the boys, so now I want to get a feel for what other riders mean when they say they're doing hill repeats or intervals. I'd like to not mess up the rest of my summer by over training and having to back way off to recover, right when the most races are on..

Since the race season started here in the Northwest, I've been getting in about 2-3 hours a day, six days a week, with two of the days being max intensity..(either a 4 or 5 hr club training ride, hanging by a thread with some of my younger teammates or doing a race) and two of the days being 'hard" days, where I am into the red zone often chasing or climbing, again, usually with a faster rider or two. I usually get two more days of moderate intensity, or one of them a day of recover/spin, but I have to be careful to not let myself train too much and too hard (I love being on the bike) I have to force myself to take a rest day each week and find it real hard to 'taper" before a race..

On my "recovery days" I've started incorporating flat out efforts up every little rise, trying to hold max effort for at least 1.5mins, then back to aerobic pace till the next hill-ette. Perhaps 6 of these each ride. Two of my Hard days, I've been going LT/LT+/LT up a few of my local 2000-3000' climbs. Ride at LT for 1.5mins, then go all out for the same, then another LT period, keeping that up for perhaps 5 cycles. Then the rest of the climb at just below LT..Does that sound even close to "right"? Should I do more, less? What do the rest of you guys and gals do? lets hear it.

Don Hanson

·
Registered
52 Posts
too much

so you're doing 4 "hard" days per week? with a "moderate" day and then some all out efforts on your recovery day?

no suprise you're seeing some symtoms of overtraining.

i keep to 2 hard days per week, or 3 in any 10 day period. (this includes races.) this ensures that i have good power on my interval days or races/hard group rides. other days are either base days or recovery days, depending how i feel. usually 3 days base and 1 day recovery. i do different stuff on my base days. 2-4 hours, mostly zone 2. low cadence strength work, or high cadence spinning, whatever. but i try to do them as steady efforts with little or no stopping if possible.

recovery days are just that. easy spinning. mostly on flats. no efforts. usually about an hour.

if you reduce your number of hard days, you'll probably start seeing higher power when you do go hard. and 2 days a week will produce improvements without making you too tired. and keeping up the base miles helps on the longer rides/races.

i'm sure this will sound tame to some folks here. but it works for me. i've seen steady improvement over the last few years.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Short pull--anyone else?

Thanks, the terms I've used to describe my perceived effort (training) are, of course, imprecise without a power meter..I'm beginning to think I may again be over-doing it slightly, training too hard, but without enough "quality" and intensity. Hence the curiosity about what others are doing.

It iwas a difficult concept to grasp (for me) that one can actually hurt their fitness by too many hours training too hard..All our lives we're told "Work harder than everyone else and you'll get ahead". Accepted knowledge now is that that's not totally true when it comes to bike training..

My typical training week isn't actually 4 "hard" days. In *my* terms, a "hard day" is one notch down from a race pace. I usually do one "max-effort" or race pace day, often two per week. Just a few hours long, but with sustained periods of maximum effort.

I do two "hard" days, where I keep very close (below and above) to my max. sustainable heart rate. I use hills, headwinds, and/or very strong training partners to motivate these hard days. Duration on these days is around 2.5 to 3.5 hours, with my recovery periods limited to downhills or when I am in the draft. My younger training partners can be on a 'moderate' pace, while I am doing a 'hard' effort to keep with them.

My "moderate" days you could call Base days, I guess. These terms are vague. But my moderate days, usually two per week, I try to keep my HR below my LT but above the areobic zone. Somewhere around 130-160, with 188 being my observed max HR, and 172 being my (guestimate) LT..These days I'll do 2-4 hours. I usually do these on my own so I'm not tempted to push too hard..My Average HR on these days seems to end up near 150.

My recovery days I try to keep the seat-time short and the routes easy. Usually just 20-30 flat miles keeping my HR at below 140. However, I've recently stuck in these "intensity" sprints, up little rollers, or to town line signs, etc. Guess I may be over-doing it again, somewhat.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Don Hanson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.