Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if a lot of people ride at night. Kind of an informal poll, I guess.

I went for a ride last night, putting to use my new lights. This was the first time I've really gone for a ride at night (other than running an occasional errand on well lit city streets). Last night I rode around the city a bit, but then out into the burbs and onto some quieter roads. The headlight worked great, even on some little trails I hit. I don't have a computer on my cross bike, which is what I was riding, but according the HRM i was out for 1 hour 35 min.

I wasn't sure what to expect but it was really a lot of fun. When you ride a lot, it's not often you get a truly novel experience on the bike, but I got one last night. I look forward to making night riding a regular part of my winter training (thankfully limiting the time I spend on my trainer). I might even try to add some riding to my commute (I started a thread about this yesterday). And eventually I'll be hitting the trails at night on my mtn bike.

So who among the RBR crowd bikes regularly at night? What do you think of it?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I do. I love it. I find it's actually safer than riding during the day (with winter hours this isn't necessarily the case). It really becomes a 'you, the bike, and your surroundings that you normally take for granted" type of feeling. You just notice a lot more things and it's very peaceful in its own right. I also find that I ride more "like a kid" during the night. I have the chance to ride in a decent sized city and also in the country. This kindof enables me to ride the best of both types without experiencing to many of the downfalls of either one. For example long rides in the country may lead only to back country roads whereas here it usually means being able to stop and restock or just enjoy a quick meal or what have you. I also get to ride away from the congestion of the city if it bothers me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I love night riding. We have a small organized ride that starts in a small town, goes around a lake and back. About 20 miles. I get out early and do another 20 before joining up. After doing it a few times, I started riding at night on my own. Lots of red lights on the back, an orange hi-vis vest, and cat eye beam. It is very fun.

Ice Man

·
vulture chow
229 Posts
We do (DH and I). We can get in a quick 20-23 miles just on the bike path west of town and then the farm roads on campus. No one else is out so we see and hear a lot of wildlife. The roads are open enough we could go farther, and others do, but this makes a great afterwork spin a couple of nights a week in the winter.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,493 Posts
Evil Necessity (sp)

I ride at night due to the time change. One thing that slighty bothers me is that the majority of my ride home is a bike path that runs along a highway. Somethings the cars heading the in the other direction flick their highbeams at me. Small gripe, I know, but it can be blinding sometimes especially when it's slightly foggy.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I do an occasional evening ride in the dark. This is more because of the shorter days and the time change. I make it a point to have at least a rear blinkie light on. I just bought an LED headlight. I know, with this kind of light it's more to let people know I'm coming their way than to light my way down the road.

My nephew used to ride at 1 or 2 AM because there are almost no cars on the roads at that time (doesn't hurt that he is young and does not have any responsibilities). I made him ride with at least a rear blinkie when I found out he was doing this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy,
DLST makes it so both my A.M. and P.M. commutes are in the dark and during rush hour.
I find it real easy to focus on what I'm doing like looking for trash on the road, watching side traffic etc.
I actually like the security of 2 red blinky's in the back and a white strobe in the front, it seems people notice me quicker with all of the bright lights and clothes in the dark than they do during daylight.

M.R.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Several times a week - I try to commute 3-4 days a week and due to the shortening days, I have to ride home after dark and sometimes into work around dawn. A good HID light up front and several good rear lights make it fun and safer. I generally see ~6 other people during my commute at night.
During the summer I'll also go for some fun night rides both on the road and on my mtn bike (only in groups on the mtn bike though due to mtn lion territory).

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
This time of year, all my evening commutes are after dark. Every town is different, of course, but around here I get much more consideration from drivers after dark than I do in the daylight.

What's become my favorite group ride is our Tuesday night ride. Sixty-six riders tonight. A half-mile long line of blinkies sure is a pretty sight, and it certainly catches the attention of drivers!

I don't care for pacelines after dark though. I get mesmerized by the blinkie in front of me, which doesn't seem to happen in the other parts of that ride. Fortunately, pacelines are generally at the end of the ride, so I ride home then.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I joined an informal group ride this year that does night and winter riding, neither of which I had done before. I enjoy it but would not go out alone. IMHO night riding is for groups only. But I am conservative and cautious. I just like the extra lighting and eyes to help me. We generally socialize and have snacks afterwards. It is not something I would recommend doing alone.

·
your god hates me
1,570 Posts
I used to *really* love riding at night. Something about all the moving lights reminded me of being inside a video game. But I stopped night riding 20 years ago.

Recently I started up again, mostly unintentionally, just as a result of the seasonal time change. There's still a bit of that Missle Defender adrenaline rush, but I find I'm far more dissatisfied with ineffective bike lights (and don't do nearly enough night riding to justify an investment in effective bike lights).

One section of my commute home goes along a paved MUT lined with streetlamps, *all* of which apparently weren't working the last time I rode home! Pitch black, and my dinky LEDs didn't do squat to illuminate the road. Were it not for a cyclist ahead of me with dual xenon spotlights whose wheel I frantically got on, I never would have stayed on the path.

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
This time of year I do mtb rides about once a week at night. Sometimes solo, sometimes as many as 20+ riders snaking thru the singletrack.

I also backpack at night during the shorter winter days. Nothing like being solo in the NC mtns in Jan. at midnight. ;)

LOVE racing at night. During the 12 hours at Tsali last year, when it was hopelessly muddy. I'm trying to get the stupid baton in my jersey pocket(note my mud covered teammate just off to the right of me in pic) as I'm about to ride off in the void to do my last 12 mile lap in the rain. We got on the podium that race(4 man team-3rd overall).

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My commute home is in the dark from early Fall through late Spring. During the colder months, I usually ride to and from work 2-3 times per week.

There are street lights for the first half of my 14.5 mile commute over city streets; the last half of the commute is over country-like roads with only an occasional light. I much prefer riding on the dark roads without street lights -- the contrast is much greater and, thus, I feel that I am more visible to motorists. Also, there is very little traffic.

Because of potential crime, I take different streets at night than I do during the day when I am riding through the urban part of my commute. I stick to relatively high traffic streets when it is dark; my theory is that one is safer when there are lots of people and cars around than one is on a deserted street. The greatest hazard I have encountered on the last leg of my ride is that I go through a deer-infested wooded area. More than once, I almost have been clipped by a deer bounding across the road.

I find nighttime riding to be very relaxing. I like it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have a weekly Tuesday night crit in a parking lot at the university.

It's one of the far away lots that students park in and ride the bus about 10 minutes to campus. By 8 p.m., it's empty. There are street lights, so no one rides with lights. We use the parking medians to set up the route. I usually rack up 15 to 20 miles zig-zagging through the lot.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yes dark when i go into work

dark when i come home
and if not raining, then the roads are wet from earlier rain most days, but still, the alternative is not riding, which is not an alternative.
if i didn't need sleep i would go for a ride at 11pm or such so i could really ride hard. my commute is more about being safe--especially the late afternoon/early evening ride home.

the powerful LED or hid makes it easy

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.