Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding with my 12 year old Son for the past 3 months or so and I feel we have had a great bonding time as well as teaching my Son about Road Cycling an fitness. My 6 year old son is sad every time I go out because he can't go so it brings up the question of how young can you start them? And do they even make Kid's Road Bikes? I realize that I can't take a 6 year old on a Century ride but when and where do I start?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I bought my son a road bike at 8. He was just able to straddle the top tube on a little kids sized Felt (the Z25). It's a small frame with 24 in wheels. He loves the bike. Even went clipless.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
A friend of mine got his son started at 13. He bought him a nice entry level Trek1000. Of course, three years later, it collecting dust as its owner is now proudly driving. Oh well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MarshallH1987 said:
just do it? or get one of those bikes that attaches to your seat so you can go at your speed.
My son that is 6 is already riding bikes... He was off training wheels before his 3rd birthday. Both my boys were. :) We will ride together and get a Yogurt or something like that that is probably like a 4 mile round trip or so but he is on a BMX bike... He rides ramps etc on his BMX bike but is still to small for a Road bike.. I am just wondering when to introduce him to road riding... He is in that kinda in between stage where I am not sure what to do...

·
Registered
120 Posts
my son is 8
he rides a giant ocr xs w/ 700c wheels
the bike is just a tad to big for him, but it will be with him for a few yrs

he's up to 30miles on a outing ...

·
Banned
605 Posts
I would love my daughter to ride with me when she gets a little older but she just does not have a lot of interest in bikes. She just turned 6 and I just put the training wheels back on her bike because she would just giggle and flop around while I kept her upright running around the driveway with when they were off. Oh well, she loves her scooter and if I push her to ride she'll probably be even less interested

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jlandry said:
I've always wondered... If cyclists are seen as vehicles on the road, should they be of driving age (16) to ride a roadbike on the road?

No way... I totally disagree with this.. A bicycle is "WAY" different than an automobile...

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
My son and I built up his first road bike when he was 11. It was a nice 49 cm Nishiki Tri-A frame we sniped from Ebay and we scrimped together a bunch of lower-end parts from Ebay and left overs we had lying around the garage. This was great. It taught him the basics of bicycle mechanics, the virtue of patience, and the art of the Ebay Snipe:p It was also great time spent with my son.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The kids felt 24" is by far the coolest kids bike. And the moment my kid can even sorta consider the idea that he might want one/ I think hes big enough hes getting one. Its sad and I know Im an evil parent but my kid has no choice, hes going to ride with me whether he likes it or not.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
The Redline Conquest 24 is huge for junior racers around here. It is technically a cross bike, so it is built to take the abuse a kid can dish. You might be able to find some used. They are pretty indestructible, so you can re-sell and re-coup some of your costs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Its never too early to get him out there... I didn't start road biking until later, but I started using clipless pedals when I was around 8 years old

1 - 19 of 19 Posts