Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am slowly getting back into cycling I really think I would like to get me a Garmin.. Thought about mounting up my 60CSX but it's way to big and doesn't have any of the HR, Cadence etc so the benefits aren't really there.. Besides it's big and weights as much as my bike probably.. :eek: So as I look around here on the Forum I see there are really 2 to chose from.. A 500 that will set me back about $250 and the 705 which comes in at about $450. I know the 705 is color screen but what are the other advantages and do they justify the extra cost? I want to buy the right one to begin with so I don't wish I would have bought the other one a few months down the road... In your opinion is the 705 justifiably more expensive or is the 500 more than enough.. All opinions appreciated so I can make the right decision...

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
If you want mapping and directions on the bike you need the 705. If you don't want that, the 500 is the way to go. Both will record your route, including HR and cadence (if you have the sensors), so that you can download it to your PC after the ride.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
It depends on what you are doing.

Do you need mapping features on the road?
Yes=705
No=500

You'll need to get mapsets too, as the included maps on both units are crap.

FYI-The firmware on the 500 is still in a state of flux and prone to breakage depending on what you are doing-see the Edge500 Garmin forums for details.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Do you need maps and turn-by-turn directions? If so, get the 705. If not, the 500 will do just fine. There are different versions of each model (cadence, HR, etc.), so make sure that you're comparing apples to apples.

My husband and I have a 705, and it's nice to have a digital map or directions when we're riding in unfamiliar areas. That's about the only time that I use it. Otherwise, my simple Cateye just does fine for me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the only option for me is the 705. I want mapping capabilities... So where are you guys buying your 705's from? Also is there different versions of the 705 or all of them the same as far as what they come packaged with like HR, Cadence etc.... Also what should I expect to pay for one? I have now seen some on Ebay for buy it now prices at $350. This is about a hundred cheaper than I was thinking...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
lacofdfireman said:
Becky, thanks for the link... Looks like there is different versions.. So the one's I see on ebay that say HR Monitor and Cadence for $350 do you think they are legit? I know there are alot of scams out there and don't want to get screwed...
The $350 units are refurbished.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
You might consider buying from Performance Bike and waiting for their occasional "20% off any one item" coupon. You can also use their 10% members rebate, and get free shipping. This won't match that refurb price though. Another possibility is to buy from probikekit.com in the UK using a 10% coupon code (USA10 I think), though then you may have more hassles if you need to return. If you want the best returns policy, you can't beat REI though it would be hard to pay full sticker price.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
lacofdfireman said:
Looks like the only option for me is the 705. I want mapping capabilities... So where are you guys buying your 705's from? Also is there different versions of the 705 or all of them the same as far as what they come packaged with like HR, Cadence etc.... Also what should I expect to pay for one? I have now seen some on Ebay for buy it now prices at $350. This is about a hundred cheaper than I was thinking...
When you say "mapping", which one do you mean?
1. You want the device to record where you have been.
2. You want the device to tell you where to go.

Both the 500 and 705 do function (1), but if you want to have (1) and (2) you need the 705.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
Claudio14 said:
Do the cadence and herat rate monitors from a 305 unit work on the 705?
Yup..

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 500

The 500 will do mapping on a base level. If you plot a route in bikeroutetoaster or mapmyride, download it as a course to the garmin training center then transfer the course to the 500 it will give you a trail to follow with arrows left and right etc. if you put in the waypoints. I use it a lot when I'm forging out a new route. Right now I have half a dozen routes saved in my 500 that I can choose to do (once Ive done it, I pretty much know the course and don't need it, though). You can also set your speed and ride with a virtual training partner if you need to keep up your pace.
The 705 will give you a display similar to a car GPS, and the maps might be really nice. When I was deciding I couldn't justify the extra cost for a training tool, with cadence, heart rate, logs etc the 500 was all I needed. Good luck and let us know what you pick and how you like it.

I second buying from Performance or REI, 100% return policy makes it good. I returned a 305 to REI after 5 years of use (battery concerns) and upgraded to the new 500, no receipt (it was under my membership #). They refunded what I paid for it 5 years ago which was the same as the 500 is now. At the time I did feel a little guilty in returning it after such a long time and spoke with the store manager. He was only too happy to do it and touted the warranty as part of their business model. He even suggested waiting until the 705 comes down in price to the 500, and they trading again...with no questions asked. Their business model has certainly kept my loyalty.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I went to REI to buy the 500 yesterday. I could have gotten it at the lbs but how can you justify not getting it at REI? Between the 10% refund and lifetime garauntee....

Also OP, the 500 is able to read ANT+ signals. Such as powermeters. The only issue with this is I'm not sure if it "records" the data or just "displays" it. But I'm not sure that the 705 is ANT+ compatible. Not sure if your training to race or riding for pleasure....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.