Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am slowly going from a tri-bike to a road bike and I recently purchased from SRAM red shifters off eBay. I received them yesterday and they aren't... quite right. I hope to get some opinions as to whether I read the ad wrong, or the seller was being purposefully vague.

Here is the ad: New SRAM RED Shifters 2x10 Double Tap Carbon Blade Non Yaw | eBay

The title is "New SRAM RED Shifters 2x10 Double Tap Carbon Blade Non Yaw" and the description is:

New SRAM RED shifter set
2x10
Non Yaw
Carbon blade
Double tap

Any international shipping will be handled through eBay's Global Shipping Program

This seemed like a pretty good deal (most used shifters were going for about this price) so I quickly snatched them up. They came in the mail yesterday and I realized that the "set" of shifters are both left sided only. Then, I realized the picture was of two left shifters, not a "set" of shifters as described.

Am I right to think the seller was being intentionally vague? Nowhere in the ad does it suggest that the shifters are identical and, in fact, it refers to them as a "set." The picture is of two left shifters, yes, but they are arranged in a way that it would be easy to assume that it is a left/right pair at first glance - or, at least, that's what I hope.

I am still waiting for the seller to get back to me, and he has not responded to my refund request, but just in case this turns into a battle I want to make sure that I am not the only one that feels this ad was deceptive. The seller does not offer refunds, so I am relying on eBay's buyer guarantee to make the return.

Thanks!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i agree the ad is deceptive even though the photo was correct. the description should have read, "two left shifters..."

if the seller doesn't respond with a refund to your request within two days, open a problem report with ebay.

your other option is to identify the cost of a single right shifter (if you can find one), and ask the seller for a refund for just that amount.

·
Registered
20,736 Posts
Am I right to think the seller was being intentionally vague? Nowhere in the ad does it suggest that the shifters are identical and, in fact, it refers to them as a "set."
You are absolutely correct. I'll give the seller the benefit of doubt and that maybe he didn't realize had two left shifters and sold them by mistake. He doesn't seem to sell that much on ebay.

Not only does the listing refer to them as a "set", it specifically identifies the set as "2x10" in several places. Well obviously, you can't shift 2x10 with "2x2".

If the seller doesn't make it right, I have no doubt ebay will. Problem is, it could take a few weeks to a month.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Yes, completely deceptive.

Seller is 100% positive feedback. I wonder if seller realizes himself that it's not a set.

If he is as honest as the feedback indicates, then you should get a prompt refund.

If not then it's formal dispute time plus negative feedback.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Going through the feedback he's been selling a bunch of MTB related stuff, hardly any road. Adding to the possibility that it's an honest mistake.

How long have you been waiting for a response?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Who knows if it was intentional but that's irrelevant.
I see it as deceptive but that's also irrelevant.
You'e at the mercy of what ever the ebay dispute process comes up with regardless. I'm not sure how that works but you might want to stress to them he said "set" and a set is left and right by anyone's definition of a set of shifters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better. It has only been 48 hours, so I am not yet worried that the seller is ignoring me; I just wanted to be sure that I am on the right side of this in case it becomes an issue. As stated above, he has good feedback, so I assume he is going to be reasonable about it.

Unfortunately the $210 is a lot of money for me right now, so I have been very selective and cannot really afford to get screwed on the sale and/or have to wait for another good deal on a right only shifter. I am also trying to save whatever money I can for a used road bike frame.

Anyway, as I said, probably worried over a simple mistake, but also a little paranoid since, to me, it seems like it would be obvious to any cyclist - road or mountain - that these would not be compatible together at all.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Shifter set to me implies a left and right so I think you have a case and it takes a pretty close look to tell they aren't a left/right pair. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It could have been unintentional. Maybe the person didn't even realize it was two left shifters. Perhaps the sent someone else two rights?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It could have been unintentional. Maybe the person didn't even realize it was two left shifters. Perhaps the sent someone else two rights?
He sold a set before but over 3 months ago. With no complaint. This does not look like a guy selling off his unwanted stuff. More like he bought a bunch of parts from a distress sale.

If @tlg is right then he may not see an eBay message. A dispute will cause eBay to notify him via his regular email I think.

·
Registered
20,736 Posts
Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better. It has only been 48 hours, so I am not yet worried that the seller is ignoring me; I just wanted to be sure that I am on the right side of this in case it becomes an issue. As stated above, he has good feedback, so I assume he is going to be reasonable about it.
If you don't hear back in 3 business days you'll get a refund.
eBay Money Back Guarantee | eBay

If @tlg is right then he may not see an eBay message. A dispute will cause eBay to notify him via his regular email I think.
I only have one email address registered with ebay. So that's the only way they can contact me. Or by phone.

I sell on ebay, but not real frequent. Maybe once a week. So sometimes, especially on a weekend, I don't see messages right away. And then it gets moved down my inbox. So I could see that being the case here.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Why speculate on the irrelevant? Intentional or not that doesn't change or excuse anything.
I dunno man,

People were 'speculating' that it was fraud or intentional deception. I just suggested to give them the benefit of doubt and give them a chance to make things right.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I dunno man,

People were 'speculating' that it was fraud or intentional deception. I just suggested to give them the benefit of doubt and give them a chance to make things right.
Amen....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi everyone, a quick update. As I suspected, I made a big deal out of nothing, but I appreciate your responses nonetheless. The seller accepted the refund and apologized, he just assumed the two shifters he had laying around were a set. He is also willing to do a partial refund for one of the shifters if I'm able to find a good deal on a right-only shifter, so that's what I'm hoping to do.

Also, I hope this didn't come across as trying to "smear" the eBay seller, because it appears to be an honest mistake and he's paying for return shipping.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
if I'm able to find a good deal on a right-only shifter, so that's what I'm hoping to do.
lets see what others say but IMO this is pretty unlikely. I'd be taking a 100% refund.

Glad things worked out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's only one in good condition in my price range, so hopefully I can snag that one. Good call on holding off on sending back until I have the right shifter in hand, tlg, thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts