Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years, I'm sick of commuting fixed. So I bought what I thought were some piece of crap brakes - merely functional - for $44 on eBay. (I'm a big proponent of commuters being unrecognizable pieces of - merely functioning - junk.)

They look like DA, weigh 304g, and have tight pivots and good pads. I paid $115 for Chorus brakes for my new Dean three weeks ago, and they weigh 345g!

So...I know brakes are much more than just their weight. But if these things really rock, should I sell my almost-new Chorus brakes on eBay and pocket the $150, equip these Tektros and ignore the snide comments, and get some REAL junk for my commuter? Or just leave well enough alone?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
SDizzle said:
After three years, I'm sick of commuting fixed. So I bought what I thought were some piece of crap brakes - merely functional - for $44 on eBay. (I'm a big proponent of commuters being unrecognizable pieces of - merely functioning - junk.)

They look like DA, weigh 304g, and have tight pivots and good pads. I paid $115 for Chorus brakes for my new Dean three weeks ago, and they weigh 345g!

So...I know brakes are much more than just their weight. But if these things really rock, should I sell my almost-new Chorus brakes on eBay and pocket the $150, equip these Tektros and ignore the snide comments, and get some REAL junk for my commuter? Or just leave well enough alone?
Those tektro brakes won't come close to the feel and braking modulation of your chorus brakes, but do what you will.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I HATED, HATED, HATED!!!! My Chorus brakes, yes they really sucked that much. My ZG's modulate 10 times as well.

K

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
IUbike said:
I HATED, HATED, HATED!!!! My Chorus brakes, yes they really sucked that much. My ZG's modulate 10 times as well.

K
10 TIMES! You here that folks? 10 TIMES. These completely objective and quantifiable data were brought to you by IUbike.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Tektro

SDizzle said:

I'd try them--but with new pads. Put some KoolStop Dura-type pads in there (I like the black ones) and I'd be very surprised if you could tell the difference between these brakes and anything else. And yeah, I'd ignore the remarks. I've been running Tektros for the past couple of years, and they work the same way the Ultegras did before them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
alienator said:
10 TIMES! You here that folks? 10 TIMES. These completely objective and quantifiable data were brought to you by IUbike.
Particularly since my Chorus brakes outstop my Zero G brakes. They are on different bikes, of course, but that's my opinion, just like his is an opinion. My bike with the chorus brakes weighs a full 5 lb. more than the one with the Zero G brakes. If you want the best of both worlds, the Record brakes are simply amazing. They are made of titanium like the Zero G. They are a little heavier than the Zero G brakes but there is no doubt they are better brakes. My bike with the Record brakes only weighs 1 lb. more than the Zero G equipped bike. Now that I'm on the subject, I have a bike with Dura Ace brakes and I feel like they outperform my Zero G brakes as well. Anybody want a set of lightly used Zero G brakes?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
fmw said:
Particularly since my Chorus brakes outstop my Zero G brakes. They are on different bikes, of course, but that's my opinion, just like his is an opinion. My bike with the chorus brakes weighs a full 5 lb. more than the one with the Zero G brakes. If you want the best of both worlds, the Record brakes are simply amazing. They are made of titanium like the Zero G. They are a little heavier than the Zero G brakes but there is no doubt they are better brakes. My bike with the Record brakes only weighs 1 lb. more than the Zero G equipped bike. Now that I'm on the subject, I have a bike with Dura Ace brakes and I feel like they outperform my Zero G brakes as well. Anybody want a set of lightly used Zero G brakes?
well, my zero g brakes stop just as well, if not better, than the set of Records I used to have. are yours the 2005 version? there was a significant upgrade in 2005, so if you have the 2004s, they most likely do not stop as well as DA or Campy.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm comparing all 2005 models except for the Record which are 2006. I'm not comparing them to bikes I used to have. I'm comparing them to bikes I ride interchangeably every day so I'm not relying on memory. It's easy to feel good about brakes that cost $300 but the reality is that they don't stop as well. They just don't. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...installation revealed some definite play in the arms, and the pads don't quite align no matter what I do. ...Granted, the 2500g wheelset (thank you, 36h Salsa Delgado and Suzue Basic hubs) on my commuter is never quite true or round, and that might have something to do with it. Still, they'll be perfect for my speed-cycle.

I was never really serious about tossing my Chorus brakes... And I have to agree with (almost) everyone else: Chorus-D brakes rock. They're smooth, quiet, and light enough.

Given that I considered saving some coin by selling the Chorus brakes in favor of the lighter, cheaper Tektro brakes - which is NOT going to happen - I'm a little surprised someone smartly chimed in to suggest I buy some ZG brakes instead. :confused: That's clear thinking.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
fmw said:
I'm comparing all 2005 models except for the Record which are 2006. I'm not comparing them to bikes I used to have. I'm comparing them to bikes I ride interchangeably every day so I'm not relying on memory. It's easy to feel good about brakes that cost $300 but the reality is that they don't stop as well. They just don't. Sorry.
Well, that's a load of crap. I moved from Dura Ace brakes to Mavic SSC brakes. The Mavics, IMHO, were better. They provided ample power and modulation the way I liked it (from racing motorcycles, I'm very picky about brake feel.). I then changed out the Mavics for '05 ZG brakes. The difference between the two is, at best, difficult to quantify. Modulation between the two is nearly identical, as is power. My only reason for switching was to lose some bike weight, but said switch required that I lose nothing in braking. The ZG brakes satisfied those requirements, so I ended up selling the Mavics.

The claim that "the reality is that they don't stop as well," with "they" being ZG brakes, is completely baseless. That could be your opinion, and that's fine. Just don't confuse your opinion with fact.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
alienator said:
Well, that's a load of crap. I moved from Dura Ace brakes to Mavic SSC brakes. The Mavics, IMHO, were better. They provided ample power and modulation the way I liked it (from racing motorcycles, I'm very picky about brake feel.). I then changed out the Mavics for '05 ZG brakes. The difference between the two is, at best, difficult to quantify. Modulation between the two is nearly identical, as is power. My only reason for switching was to lose some bike weight, but said switch required that I lose nothing in braking. The ZG brakes satisfied those requirements, so I ended up selling the Mavics.

The claim that "the reality is that they don't stop as well," with "they" being ZG brakes, is completely baseless. That could be your opinion, and that's fine. Just don't confuse your opinion with fact.
Probably shouldn't confuse your opinion with fact either.... The actual fact of the matter is, there's no actual hard data, just opinions. Until someone designs a test that eliminates human perceptions, your perception is no more valid than fmw's, now is it? I'm glad that you feel that they are just as powerful as the Mavic's... But lets also point out that fmw never spoke of Mavic brakes, so your comparing apples to oranges, to grapes.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
FTF said:
Probably shouldn't confuse your opinion with fact either.... The actual fact of the matter is, there's no actual hard data, just opinions. Until someone designs a test that eliminates human perceptions, your perception is no more valid than fmw's, now is it? I'm glad that you feel that they are just as powerful as the Mavic's... But lets also point out that fmw never spoke of Mavic brakes, so your comparing apples to oranges, to grapes.
You ought to be more careful with the reading comprehension thing, Beav. My statement, in which I clearly said "IMHO", was posted as an example of just how stupid a previous comment was, specifically that "It's easy to feel good about brakes that cost $300 but the reality is that they don't stop as well. They just don't. Sorry." My point was that "better" and "best" is an entirely personal view based on user needs and feel. Doesn't matter what I was comparing. Again, for the reading impared, the point was that which brakes are best is a personal opinion.

You did read the "IMHO" didn't you? And I know for a fact that no where, in my post, did you read anything that claimed my statements were facts. Nope. That was a result of your poor reading.

·
Registered
359 Posts
alienator said:
You ought to be more careful with the reading comprehension thing, Beav. My statement, in which I clearly said "IMHO", was posted as an example of just how stupid a previous comment was, specifically that "It's easy to feel good about brakes that cost $300 but the reality is that they don't stop as well. They just don't. Sorry." My point was that "better" and "best" is an entirely personal view based on user needs and feel. Doesn't matter what I was comparing. Again, for the reading impared, the point was that which brakes are best is a personal opinion.

You did read the "IMHO" didn't you? And I know for a fact that no where, in my post, did you read anything that claimed my statements were facts. Nope. That was a result of your poor reading.
And you called my opinion crap. Who needs it? The answer simple. I won't post any opinions on this board any more. You people can't even get to the facts. I've had it. I use these brakes every day. The rest of you are remembering how things were on brakes you used to have. Your opinions are actually the ones that are crap. They are meaningless. See you around.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
alienator said:

Then, did you skip this part of fmw's post?

Particularly since my Chorus brakes outstop my Zero G brakes. They are on different bikes, of course, but that's my opinion, just like his is an opinion.
Pot meet kettle AGAIN.

I would say that, saying that it was his OPINION, is pretty much the same as when you said IMHO...... Wouldn't you? So, lets think here, who really has reading comprehension poblems?

Perhaps you should just stop posting back to this one, but that's just my opinion, or incase normal english is too hard, IMHO you should stop posting back to this one.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
fmw said:
And you called my opinion crap. Who needs it? The answer simple. I won't post any opinions on this board any more. You people can't even get to the facts. I've had it. I use these brakes every day. The rest of you are remembering how things were on brakes you used to have. Your opinions are actually the ones that are crap. They are meaningless. See you around.

No where did you state yours was an opinion. You stated your views as fact. As for the rest of your tirade, how is anyone else's opinion less valid than yours? Obviously your expert testing skills put you miles above everyone else, but exactly how is it that you know that no one else knows how to compare such things for themselves.

Don't forget to close the door as you fly out of the room in a snit.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
alienator said:
No where did you state yours was an opinion. You stated your views as fact. As for the rest of your tirade, how is anyone else's opinion less valid than yours? Obviously your expert testing skills put you miles above everyone else, but exactly how is it that you know that no one else knows how to compare such things for themselves.

Don't forget to close the door as you fly out of the room in a snit.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=535401&postcount=1

Right there:

Particularly since my Chorus brakes outstop my Zero G brakes. They are on different bikes, of course, but that's my opinion, just like his is an opinion.
Or take the elevator one post down.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
FTF said:
Then, did you skip this part of fmw's post?
Before fmw started pouting and stormed out, he never stated his views were opinions. He stated them as if they were fact. And he then later went on to say that everyone ELSE'S opinion was crap and implied that he was one of the select few in the world that was qualified to compare brakes and such.

FTF said:
I would say that, saying that it was his OPINION, is pretty much the same as when you said IMHO...... Wouldn't you? So, lets think here, who really has reading comprehension poblems?
Yup, I openly said mine was an opinion as I've already stated. And as I've stated, my opinion was posted as a counterpoint to the absolute knowledge of fmw.....or what he apparently perceives as absolute knowledge.

FTF said:
Perhaps you should just stop posting back to this one, but that's just my opinion, or incase normal english is too hard, IMHO you should stop posting back to this one.
What? And leave some people to fall prey to the assinine absolute statements made here and elsewhere?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
alienator said:
Before fmw started pouting and stormed out, he never stated his views were opinions. He stated them as if they were fact. And he then later went on to say that everyone ELSE'S opinion was crap and implied that he was one of the select few in the world that was qualified to compare brakes and such.
Wrong again.

That's his FIRST post in this thread. Thanks for playing.

alienator said:
Yup, I openly said mine was an opinion as I've already stated. And as I've stated, my opinion was posted as a counterpoint to the absolute knowledge of fmw.....or what he apparently perceives as absolute knowledge.
So did he, in his FIRST POST.
alienator said:
What? And leave some people to fall prey to the assinine absolute statements made here and elsewhere?
I think they have a basic understanding of the english language, they'll be fine.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
alienator said:

I've created this as a tutorial for you. Ok, see it's a threaded discussion, which means that the oldest part of the discussion, is at the top. We have your first post, which was responding to IUbikes outragous comment, I think we can all agree on that. And then we have fmw's post in blue, the one which starts out stating that it's his opinion, see how it says 11 hours ago(that post is here incase you somehow missed it), then there is weiwentg's post 10 hours ago, in respose to fmw's stated opinion, then he responds that's red 9 hours ago, then you respond in green, one hour ago, then I respond to you in yellow 1 hour ago, and then you respond to me 29 min ago, I'm going to call that magenta, unless you object.

HTH!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
FTF said:
That's his FIRST post in this thread. Thanks for playing.
And that's the post I was referring to, Cupcake. But then he did offer the beaut about how people here couldn't even get to the facts......as if there are some facts that somehow only he knows about. Heh. Hilarious.

FTF said:
I think they have a basic understanding of the english language, they'll be fine.
Hopefully, you're right.....but even you're having issues with this, sorting wheat from chaff.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.