Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right before the weld where the top tube meets seat tube. :(

I was told by some friends that where it cracked at is pretty common for the Capo... ARE YOU LISTENING CANNONDALE???

I got the frame from a friend like new for cheap back in January, used it for messenger work sjnce and I guess it decides it can't take my fatass anymore and cracks on Thursday. I rode on it Friday for most of the morning and listened to the crack get bigger as I rode. That is the scariest sound I have ever heard in my life! So i decided to take the rest of the day off and figure out what to do.

i went home with the Affinity Cycles track frame, it's really nice. Still dialing in my seat position and what not, but it sure is comfy. A hell of a lot more than the Cannondales was.

And after riding on an aluminum track bike for 6 months on the street everyday... I really think that aluminum track bikes should stay on the track or really, really smooth roads.

I love aluminum, but maybe not for a track bike on the street.

Sorry for the rant/or whatever you can call this I just wanted to share my distress/happiness.

Feel free to share any stories you have.

· Registered
499 Posts
Thats where most Cannondales crack in general. My Cadd started to crack and slowley grew untill I finialy retired it this spring. ****er held up a long time tho. It has somthing to do with how they double pass the welds and then grind them smooth.

· Potatoes
1,404 Posts
If you're friend bought that Capo 'new' then if you be a little crafty and get him to claim warranty, you may be able to get a new frame. Cannondale warranty is pretty damn good after the genuine 'crack-n-fail' era. Even though you may not want a replacement frame, why not sell it on and get some $$$ back from your new purchase.

· Registered
450 Posts
Jamieshankland said:
It has somthing to do with how they double pass the welds and then grind them smooth.
I believe they actually double pass the welds to make them smooth, has nothing or little to do with grinding them down. I believe it is called washing the weld. Supposed to be stronger with the less raised edges remaining. There may be some sanding afterward, but the traditional ridges of the weld are removed with welding not grinding.

(I read this from a Klien information pamphlet) I am just trying to pass on what I have read about those smooth welded Aluminum frames. It could be that there are welders cheating and doing the grinding down, although it would be quite time consuming I imagine.

· Potatoes
1,404 Posts
kneejerk said:
I believe they actually double pass the welds to make them smooth, has nothing or little to do with grinding them down...
Dirt Rag did a piece on it a while ago... link.

"The smooth finish is created by a two-pass, puddle welding technique that Cannondale employs. Cannondale points out that their welding technique produces better penetration than welds that exhibit the typical "stack of dimes" appearance. Better penetration results in a stronger joint. Furthermore, the high and low spots on stack of dimes weld beads may act as stress risers—a potential compromise of weld durability."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.