Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mile from home too... Turning left, and a lady in a small white car bumped me from behind. Made me lose my balance and my right hand, ring finger knuckle got trapped between my brake hood and the top corner of one of those concrete barriers and dragged for a meter or so. Then I ended up in a pile all twisted up in my bike.

So the lady stopped, yelled something at me and then sped away. So my finger is bleeding like mad and I've got some road rash on the outside of my right quad.

Rolled over to a convenience store on one corner of the intersection, got some napkins, wrapped it up and rode home.

It was a pretty sizable hole in my finger, so I went to Urgent Care and got 4 stitches.

So how was YOUR day? :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, but glad to know it was not even more serious.

I would urge you to make a report so that it at least makes the paper and possibly local radio news. In fact, I would write a letter to the editor.

Any and all awareness gained is a positive, in my opinion.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's to report? A lady in a small white car (of which there are only three or four thousand around here, at least) hit me and drove off. Not much to go on.

Being a large, metropolitan area, this sort of thing would never get put into the paper or the local news. Maybe if I had died, it would. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
frpax said:
What's to report?
This was a hit and run, most agencies will put significant effort in to finding and prosecuting the woman who did it. On the other hand, if she'd stopped, they might have asked her if you'd hurt her in any way...

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, well I'll chalk it up to luck and move on. It could have been much worse that it was... Her driving off like that, though... maybe she didn't even realize she caused me to crash.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Sorry to hear, and the usual "glad you're safe," but, the number of people who will leave a human being a bleeding mess on the road disturbs, disgusts me.

Please, even if it's a bother and they will do nothing, report the accident and your injury.

Even if they never find her, it will be officially a statistic.

Who knows? This may help a cause someday.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There are cameras on every intersection these days. You ALWAYS report a hit and run. The next guy might be lying there dying when she speeds off.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
a good reason to be at least a little knowledgeable about cars too

you should know if that was a civic or a camry that just punted you off the road

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
roscoe said:
a good reason to be at least a little knowledgeable about cars too

you should know if that was a civic or a camry that just punted you off the road
Funny you mention this... I sell cars for a living. So yes, I do know a bit about cars! Even so, it was white w/ black bumpers. Small, sub compact. Not a Civic. Maybe some sort of Kia, or Hyundai... Maybe a Neon, too. Just did not get a good look at it, is all. Camry or that size would have been too big.

Also, we don't have cameras in our intersections here. Some intersections have red light cameras (not the one I was in, though)

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
The woman may drive by that way at about that same time every day. When one of my dogs was hit in a crosswalk (she was fine) and the driver drove off despite me hitting her car and yelling stop, I went back the next day at the same time and waited. And there she came, just like clockwork.

Definitely report it. Fleeing the scene is a serious crime.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'm glad you're ok, but this was a bodily injury accident and the driver fled the scene. No matter what you know or don't know, it should be reported.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Significant effort?

InfiniteLoop said:
This was a hit and run, most agencies will put significant effort in to finding and prosecuting the woman who did it...
What kind of CandyLand city do you live in? It was a bicycle and they could care less. I reported a hit and run one time and will never waste my time doing it again.

Gave the police the license number. Officer wrote it down wrong. I found the car a month later and gave them an exact description and the police could not even be bothered to update the report since there was no damage (to the car).

I now know where this scumbag lives and have been plotting my revenge. As someone else noted, she probably drives this same route every day at the same time. A little detective work may yield results.

Call the cops if you wont but dont hold your breath waiting for them to do anything.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
There is nothing chivalrous or macho about 'shrugging it off' and not reporting it. The primary purpose of reporting incidents like this is to prevent more and worse in the future.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Sorry to hear about this! Glad you'll be OK. It sucks she decided it would be a good time to yell at you... *sigh*.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Please call the police, right now, and report it, ask for a copy of the report when you are done.

Do this for us, the other cyclists of the world, if you won't do it for yourself.

Thanks.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
putmeinthezoo said:
Most importantly, was her car damaged?

(Just kidding... most important thing was that you're OK)
Actually, this could be important. If her car was damaged, especially if some paint from the bike was left on it, it would be evidence if they ever found her. Don't know how the cops might follow up in this city but in mine they would start checking body shops if there was damage to a vehicle in a hit and run.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts