Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5NM is wayyy up there, if this thing is calibrated correctly. I'm surprised. Took the wrench out of the retail packaging and proceeded to check all the 4mm bolts amongst the flock, and never felt the thing release. Used it for weeks, started to wonder if it was broken. Finally got it to >Ker-CHUNK< release when bolting in a new pair of pedal cleats.

Either I haven't been bolting to 5NM with my wrenching to date, or this tool isn't calibrated correctly. Anybody test one?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I've used one for several years as I have Ritchey stems on all my bikes. It may seem like a lot of force, but part of that could be the fact that you don't have much leverage on the tool with the way it is designed so it gives the impression of requiring more force than is being applied. Regardless, it works and I have stripped a bolt or broken a set of carbon bars since I got it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used a Ritchey key to tighten my Ritchey stem. I was using FSA K-Force compacts. Ended up putting some indents in the bars. Boo.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Haven't had any problems with the Easton or Ritchey carbon bars on my bikes. Maybe it was the bars, not the wrench?

·
Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"could be the fact that you don't have much leverage on the tool with the way it is designed so it gives the impression of requiring more force than is being applied"

That's very true.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just got one and thought the exact same thing. Seems like more torque than I would use for most 4mm bolts. You don't HAVE to torque it until it clicks...5nm I assume is the maximum recommended torque value.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Haven't had any problems with the Easton or Ritchey carbon bars on my bikes. Maybe it was the bars, not the wrench?
Could also be the how. If one bolt was tightened all the way, then the other, you'd end up with a whole bunch of force at one end, and likely would ruin a set of bars.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Its not the tool. Alot of people don't have the "feel" of what certain torque specs are supposed to feel like because they are not doing it for a living and tightening stems/seat posts everyday.

You'd be surprised how much 5Nm is.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Makes me wonder how someone would ever exceed 5nm when installing stem bolts...you'd really have to torque them pretty hard. If nothing else, the Ritchey key has been an assurance that I haven't been over torquing bolts for the last 20 years.

Changing subjects...anyone know a way to get that 4mm hex bit out of there?

·
Registered
283 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
Makes me wonder how someone would ever exceed 5nm when installing stem bolts...you'd really have to torque them pretty hard. If nothing else, the Ritchey key has been an assurance that I haven't been over torquing bolts for the last 20 years.

Changing subjects...anyone know a way to get that 4mm hex bit out of there?
it pulls out. the torque key feels like a lot of torque because it has a short lever arm.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Funny this thread comes up. I just bought a Pedro's Demi torque wrench and set up a test station with a cut-off piece of carbon steerer and a Thomson X2 stem. I torqued the bolts to my "normal" torque using my trusty 4mm Bondhus allen wrench. Then I used the torque wrench set to 5 N-m and both bolts required more, like half a turn. I was so surprised that I borrowed my friends Ritchey Torque key to compare with the Pedro's Demi and lo and behold the two agree quite well. Which means for years I have consistently fallen below the 5 N-m mark for bar clamps and steerer clamps. But I have not had any problems with parts slipping so I think I'll mostly continue using my self-calibrated torque setting and only using the torque wrench if I have a slip problem.

But yes, I too was surprised to learn how tight 5 N-m actually is!

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
I just had a new Bontrager RXL Blade handlebar and a Bontrager XXX lite stem installed on my bike at my LBS. I tested the 4mm bolts once I got home with my Ritchey Torque Key and the Key clicked as soon as I tried to turn it. I assume my LBS torqued the bolts with the appropriate tool to the appropriate 5Nm specs.
Ritchey Torque Key: :thumbsup:

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
Shut up about the concerns of torqueing stem bolts.

Next thing anxious manufacturers will equip all stems with proprietary shaped yielding or 'stretch' bolts as on car cylinder heads, requiring new bolts every time you reassemble something !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't believe that the torque key I just received is set correctly. I can crank on it has hard as I dare and it does not click. I look at THIS VIDEO on the Internet at Competitive Cyclist. It looks like the guy is just barely turning the key before it clicks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's not broke -you've got girly girl technique :D

Push with your thumb and forefinger at the ends of the tabs, or grip it in your palm.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,443 Posts
clevewaterman said:
I can't believe that the torque key I just received is set correctly. I can crank on it has hard as I dare and it does not click. I look at THIS VIDEO on the Internet at Competitive Cyclist. It looks like the guy is just barely turning the key before it clicks.
read the previous posts...it's set correctly. you have to turn it pretty hard because it's so small. you have very little leverage on this tool, so it seems like you'd be over torqueing the bolts. go 'til it clicks, then stick a regular 4mm wrench in there and see how little force it takes to make it move.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coming to this thread as i had the same issue-i can confirm it's the leverage that's causing the concerns.

firstly, i tested the key against a high-end torque wrench; it measured up.

then i attached a vise grip to the end of the key to increase the leverage. if you are used to using a 'regular' long-handled torque wrench, the 'feel' of force required will come where you'd expect it to.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts