Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing extraordinary about that, except that the guy who passed me was riding a hybrid or mtb with a big old comfort saddle and was wearing jeans and an aloha shirt. I was on my way home from work, and riding a decent, though not exceptionally fast, pace. We were on a MUT here in Boston.

My first thought was to laugh, b/c I had passed him a few minutes before when he was going very slowly. I figured he didn't like being passed and wanted to vent a bit of t-tone.

My second thought was, good for him. Then I noticed that his cadence was quite moderate, compared to the pace. He must be really mashing it, I thought.

Then all of a sudden he slows way down, and as I pass him again he yells out, with what sounded like a smile, "It's a battery!"

Must be an MIT guy or something :D

· Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CyclingVirtual said:
I thought battery bikes had to be limited to about 15mph, i pass one most days going to work..
I dunno. I suspect he put it together himself. Plus, would pedaling add to the speed?

I average 15 mph over the course of my entire commute (7.5 mi takes 30 minutes), including hills, stoplights, etc. So I suspect he was going faster than that on this flat stretch of MUT.

· Registered
59 Posts
I used to see this guy riding around on an old moped. He was a pretty big dude, maybe pushing 300 or so. On the flats I could pass him and I think it used to irk him immensely. On an uphill grade he'd re-pass me. I haven't seen him around in a number of years, I think maybe his moped might have seen its better days and he didn't seem like the type that could afford a new one.

· Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
Moped encounter

My brother and I were grinding up a steep switchback hill to Saluda NC one day. I was barely turning over my lowest gear. A moped comes edging past with two guys on it. The engine was smoking and whining like it was about to pop. I yelled "tow" and they yelled back the classic "*******". Sort of funny given how close they were snuggled on that little moped but we were wearing spandex so what were they supposed to think?

· MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
Chainstay said:
My brother and I were grinding up a steep switchback hill to Saluda NC one day. I was barely turning over my lowest gear. A moped comes edging past with two guys on it. The engine was smoking and whining like it was about to pop. I yelled "tow" and they yelled back the classic "*******". Sort of funny given how close they were snuggled on that little moped but we were wearing spandex so what were they supposed to think?
They weren't these guys were they?

· Banned
270 Posts
threesportsinone said:
The football players and UW Madison get an old, stinky, 2stroke moped to get around for the semester. These are huge linemen overflowing on tiny, weak mopeds. I love passing them up hills.

Yeah it must suck being a football player at a major university . I bet he lost sleep because some guy on a bike blew past him .I bet he will take his frustration out on one of the UWM hotties that night that he gets his pick of....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.