Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Pierre, I am a downhill biker but i can't go biking every day since its an 1h30 drive, i started riding pretty hard this year and i want to keep getting better but at the point i am at i need to be in a better shape to keep progressing.

I figured getting a road bike would be a great solution. I know a lot about downhill bikes but i am pretty clueless about road bikes.

So basically here is the deal i don't want to spend a penny more than 1000$, i will be doing a lot of uphill and sprinting laps on a formula1 track. I am open to all possible options, second hand bikes, brand new whatever you guys know a lot more about road bikes than i do so i am looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you
Pierre-Olivier

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
I would definitely try to get a used bike. Too many people buy nice bikes and don't like the sport so they ditch them for pretty cheap. For $1000 you're probably going to be getting a bike with Shimano, so try to get dura-ace, ultegra, or 105 (in that order). Carbon would be nice, but you are probably still in the price range of an aluminum-carbon mix.

Do some research in your area, test ride some bikes, and post the ones you are interested in. Look at Felt, Specialized, Giant, Trek, LeMond, and Blue. The most important thing is that it fits.

· Registered
42 Posts
EBAY EBAY EBAY and there is performance, nashbar.... ow ya did I say EBAY??? I bought A tricross frame from my local specialized dealer and got him to sell it to me for 300(listed for 699) and put full ultegra groupo on it all in all cost me right under 1000. to put it another way a bike with the same components costs around 2000. I also like the fact that I built it :). good luck to you got any questions ask no question is a stupid one especially if you only are into mountain bikes

· Where's that GPS?
3,313 Posts
Havn't been on a road bike for years, but would like to get back into it.
Want a good new (not comfortable with used) bike that won't frustrate me and fits (I'm 6'4" and 210 lbs). Not ready to dish out the big bucks until I'm sure I still love the sport.
Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.