Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dissatisfied with the quality of the lumber I have milled with the chainsaw mill I have been using for over a year now, so in May I decided to pull the trigger on a better piece of equipment. Last week it finally arrived, 3 weeks early! From now on , the tool will not be the weak link, One of my good friends needed some lumber to build a new cider press. he needed 6 4x4, 1 4x6 and some 2x4. We used maple since I had a tree that needed to come down anyhow. We also got 10 1 inch by assorted width (12 to 16 inches ) boards. That was out of ONE 6 foot log!
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Tree Wood
Plant Motor vehicle Road surface Wood Asphalt
Nature Wood Bedrock Natural landscape Plant
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Jeans Road surface Wood Asphalt Composite material

·
Opus was just napping
21,659 Posts
And if you gave me two identical pieces of that wood and put an identical mark on those two pieces and told me to cut on the line.

You would get 4 pieces of wood that are about a half inch different in lengths. It is one of my super powers.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve98501

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
That is a serious lumber mill you’re setting up there, T0G. (y)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And if you gave me two identical pieces of that wood and put an identical mark on those two pieces and told me to cut on the line.

You would get 4 pieces of wood that are about a half inch different in lengths. It is one of my super powers.
yeah, I am technical, maintenance and grunt labor, my wife points to the index mark and that is where I set the saw and cut. I am dumb labor. (that way mistakes are not my fault)

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I heard about the skyrocketing lumber price. Maybe this can be a side business (if not already) for good supplemental income...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard about the skyrocketing lumber price. Maybe this can be a side business (if not already) for good supplemental income...
I have a log on the ground now, I actually had to have someone come in and take it down, parts had hit my house twice already. The log is 24 inches in diameter at the bas, and 23 feet long. The branches have been split and stacked for firewood already and they were ALL curly maple, The hinge cut at the stump end is too, so I assume everything in-between is as well. If so, that tree is worth more than the mill cost me, I can't wait to get into it BUT I have to wait until the ground is frozen to get it out of where it is.

Reactions: Steve98501

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Wood you let us know if you find any ingrained curious creatures? To not do so wood be plane rude.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Nice setup. Does the wood have to be below a certain moisture content before you build with it?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wood you let us know if you find any ingrained curious creatures? To not do so wood be plane rude.
you know I wheel!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice setup. Does the wood have to be below a certain moisture content before you build with it?
it depends what you are doing with it, The pioneers did not have the luxury of waiting until the wood dried.... post and beam, green logs and dry pegs...the wood shrinks around the fasteners, makes a strong joint. All green, it just ends up smaller?

Reactions: upstateSC-rider

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
it depends what you are doing with it, The pioneers did not have the luxury of waiting until the wood dried.... post and beam, green logs and dry pegs...the wood shrinks around the fasteners, makes a strong joint. All green, it just ends up smaller?
Definitely have a point.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Wow--that looks like fun!

I'd love to get my hands on a nice stack of maple--not that I have any immediate use for it.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I have a log on the ground now, I actually had to have someone come in and take it down, BUT I have to wait until the ground is frozen to get it out of where it is.
That’s what, in a few weeks where you are?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s what, in a few weeks where you are?
Wisconsin..... So maybe in a few weeks, ground has to be frozen pretty hard to support the bobcat with 1000 pounds of log

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Solar kiln might be a project for you in the future. Free drying in a couple of weeks.

My buddy is getting a mill in the near future. We were hauling logs to the Amish mill before.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As it turns out, I do not have a good, sunny spot for the solar kiln, however, my good friend does. (the guy building the cider press)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts