Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm freaked there is gonna be a fire. Everything seems fine. I've got the right wires in the right spots and wrapped the contacts in electrical tape like the old one I pulled from the wall. We are headed out for dinner. Should I throw the breaker and wait till we come home or leave the power flowing while we are out?

Btw, it's a nifty lil outlet. One three prong outlet and one nightlight that is light sensitive. I have it in the 1/2 bath off the livingroom but might move into the kitchen instead. I think the nightlight might be better in there.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
weltyed said:
And I'm freaked there is gonna be a fire. Everything seems fine. I've got the right wires in the right spots and wrapped the contacts in electrical tape like the old one I pulled from the wall. We are headed out for dinner. Should I throw the breaker and wait till we come home or leave the power flowing while we are out?

Btw, it's a nifty lil outlet. One three prong outlet and one nightlight that is light sensitive. I have it in the 1/2 bath off the livingroom but might move into the kitchen instead. I think the nightlight might be better in there.
You'd have seen sparks or blown a breaker before you'd have a fire...relax.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
If you did it right, there should be no worry. And it's not a hard thing to do right. So stop worrying!

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
if you didn't hear a BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ POWWWWWW!!!!! followed by darkness when you turned the breaker back on, you're good to go.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
If we're gonna be burning houses down replacing one receptacle, I'd hate to see what happens to my place...

You're good.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
you're OK, relax.

... and go wash the dishes.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Take a fork and put it in the outlet. This is a good test to see if the breaker will shut off.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Put on a pair of rubber swim goggles and quickly cram a paperclip into the holes. You'll know if it's hooked up correctly in a hurry. Plus....when they find your body the whole town will wonder why you were wearing the swim goggles.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Don't forget that you have to also replace the matching inlet to keep your
Ying and Yang balanced.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i kept the breaker off while we were out to dinner, ad kept it off while we rode out for icecream. when we got home i threw the switch and everything is still good. in fact, i forgot all about it until i opened this thread.

the plan now is to possibly move it to the upstairs hallway. we have one of those il plug in nightlights up there, but this would be better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
if the outlet is going to cause a fire...

wouldn't it be better if you were NOT in the house?

should you shut off the breaker will you sleep?

(you'll be fine)

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know. I thought about all that earlier. this comes from a guy that needs to check his car lights and windows at work at least three times a week

Scrapr said:

(you'll be fine)

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know. I thought about all that earlier. this comes from a guy that needs to check his car lights and windows at work at least three times a week

Scrapr said:

(you'll be fine)

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
after you were done, you licked the outlet to make sure it works, right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts