Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the new bike maybe a week or two, but I sold it. Why? One of Jeremyb's (maybe it was someone else's, forgive me) posts struck a nerve. Something about "don't buy it because it's a good deal.... buy it because it fits...."

So I decided the bike didn't fit me perfectly. No matter what stem swap or height I had it at, or seatpost setback, etc., the bike just didn't make me confident and happy. You know how it is. Maybe it was the head angle or fork rake. Whatever. I saw no reason to have a bike I didn't look forward to hopping on. So I sold it. "Lost" about $15 when all is said and done. A $15 lesson in taking the time to buy a bike that fits in every criteria, not just budget.

Now the fun begins: shopping around for a new cross bike!!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
bikewriter said:
Had the new bike maybe a week or two, but I sold it. Why? One of Jeremyb's (maybe it was someone else's, forgive me) posts struck a nerve. Something about "don't buy it because it's a good deal.... buy it because it fits...."
Are you the leggy guy who is shorter than average? Can't recall what you ended up buying. I hope that you can figure out what geometry you need. A custom fit with someone who knows cross might be money well spent.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gripped said:
Are you the leggy guy who is shorter than average? Can't recall what you ended up buying. I hope that you can figure out what geometry you need. A custom fit with someone who knows cross might be money well spent.
Nah, I'm pretty normal sized. 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, doesnt sound like you lost much so no big deal.

im 6'2 with a 34" inseam and i ride 56 top tube 56 seat tube c-c.

good luck with the next buy.

Also, your body will adapt to a new position. my cross bike and road bike arent the exact same size. I rode my cross bike all winter and had the road bike in pieces. About 3 months ago, i put the road bike together (exactly as i had it last year) and the bike didnt fit right, didnt feel right etc. But i knew it was fine cause it fit me last year and i havent grown/shrunk etc its just my flexibility was different and my body was a little different. now, the road bike feels fine.

but you didnt lose anything so no harm no foul.

j

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeremyb said:
Well, doesnt sound like you lost much so no big deal.

im 6'2 with a 34" inseam and i ride 56 top tube 56 seat tube c-c.

good luck with the next buy.

Also, your body will adapt to a new position. my cross bike and road bike arent the exact same size. I rode my cross bike all winter and had the road bike in pieces. About 3 months ago, i put the road bike together (exactly as i had it last year) and the bike didnt fit right, didnt feel right etc. But i knew it was fine cause it fit me last year and i havent grown/shrunk etc its just my flexibility was different and my body was a little different. now, the road bike feels fine.

but you didnt lose anything so no harm no foul.

j
Yeah, I thought about the fit "issue" between my road and the cross, and I guess deep down I didn't give it long enough. I ride a 55 or 56 c-c ST in the road and like a 56 eff TT with a 120 x 0 stem, and the cross was a 54 in the ST and eff TT, both c-c, with a 110x6 stem.
Sigh, no harm. No foul.
Wonder if deep down I knew I wanted a steel or ti bike with discs that forced me to sell??? Ha.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
bikewriter said:
Yeah, I thought about the fit "issue" between my road and the cross, and I guess deep down I didn't give it long enough. I ride a 55 or 56 c-c ST in the road and like a 56 eff TT with a 120 x 0 stem, and the cross was a 54 in the ST and eff TT, both c-c, with a 110x6 stem.
Sigh, no harm. No foul.
Wonder if deep down I knew I wanted a steel or ti bike with discs that forced me to sell??? Ha.
Personal opinon sez ride the same TT as your road bike, just bring the stem up and back slightly for more control off-road.

'Course, this is just that: my opinion... YMMV

M

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
sounds like it was just a bit short across the top. I tend to ride maybe 58 st x 58.5 TT on the road and end up with a setup that is about 1.5 cm shorter from seat nose to bars on the cross bike, which for me ends up being a 56 st and 57 tt (somewhat scarce size). I raced for a season on a size 58 st and tt and found it was a bit bigger than I liked and had grown used to. I think the whole "road size" vs "a little smaller" debate is not altogether settled.

If it makes you feel better, I once bought a brand new Ridely and rode it 5 miles, measured it again and realized it was way too short and sold it the next day as used, not a great fiscal move.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
jroden said:
If it makes you feel better, I once bought a brand new Ridely and rode it 5 miles, measured it again and realized it was way too short and sold it the next day as used, not a great fiscal move.
Did the same thing with a Teesdale frame. Duh. Measure twice, and then do it again BEFORE you buy a bike used!!

M

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fignon's Barber said:
I'm about your size ( 5' 10.5", 32 inch inseam) and bought a Fort Crossmax last year at this time, size 54. Fit is perfect. The geometry isn't overly "tall" like some cross frames. Made in czech republic, altec2 tubes, $650.
http://www.fortframes.com/html/cxmax.htm
No bottle mounts? Hmmm. That's okay for my commute since I'd wear a Camelbak Hawg, but I dunno about.... Heck, what do I know??? Thanks for the link/lead. Looks like their price went up.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
bikewriter said:
http://www.fortframes.com/html/cxmax.htm
No bottle mounts? Hmmm. That's okay for my commute since I'd wear a Camelbak Hawg, but I dunno about.... Heck, what do I know??? Thanks for the link/lead. Looks like their price went up.
if you're racing, you don't want the bottles on there anyway, so that's irrelevant. For mtn biking it, you're probably gonna use yer C-bak anyway, so again its irrelevant.

'Bout the only thing I use the cages on my Gunnar for are road/cross combo rides when I know I'm close to civilization. Oh, and to carry the bottle o' spare/levers/CO2 inflator on said rides.

HTH,

M

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.