Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...

I bought a conti trainer tire last fall and I have to say, it is singlehandedly one of the most difficult tires I've ever mounted. So bad in fact, I bought a crummy wheel and tiagra 10sp cassette just so I could permanently mount that horrible tire.

The good is that thing has taken a beating this season and is holding up like a champ. Very little wear and no rubber shedding after 50+ hrs on my Kurt Kinetic.

Anyway...Ive read so many great things about the GP4000s black chili tires I decided to get a set. Although not as bad as the trainer, the GPs are no joke either! Wow...they're frustrating to mount as well. They fit so tight I actually got my first pinch flat doing the first one.

So, any of you long time conti riders have any advice for me?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I don't remember the last time I had to use a tire lever to mount a 4000s or GP 4-season on any of my rims.

What you may need is a bit more practice. Contis are not particularly tight.

Edit to add: I missed your comment about pinching the tube. Inflate the tube slightly (I usually do it by mouth) prior to placing in the tire and mounting the tire. You need just enough pressure for the tube to maintain its shape. After completely mounting the tire, pinch the tire with both fingers and pull it away for the rim (up not sideways) so you can clearly see if the tube is pinched between rim and tire bead. Do this every 6" all around the tire. Lastly, push the tire down at the valve while pushing the valve up.
If you do the above, you are guaranteed to have experienced your last pinched tube during installation.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
My experience has been that ease of mounting tires, regardless of brand, depends somewhat on the rim size and material.

Regarding the Conti GP4000, I can hand install them on Zipp 202 and Enve Smart 3.4 rims. Most times, I can hand install them on HED Belgium rims, but I have occasionally required a tire lever.

The GP4000 have proven impossible to mount on Campagnolo Nucleon rims...even using a tire lever.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I should qualify "my rims" being Mavic (Ksyrium, aksium, cxp22, cxp33), HED C2, Fulcrum Racing 1, Enve 45, Roval SL, Velocity Deep V, DT Swiss

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
No issues mounting Conti tires. I've got a variety of wheels as well. As far as a dedicated wheel for the trainer, if you spend a lot of time on the trainer throughout the winter, it's a good idea. I've got a three year old Conti trainer tire and it's still good to go for another winter.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I can't remember the last time I used even a single tire lever on any of my many tires - removing or replacing & on various rim types. And I have two models of Continentals too. Learn the proper method.

As far as trainer tires go, I prefer to just use old road tires that are too worn for the street.
This. It's what old tires (with good casings) are for isn't it?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,670 Posts
Wow...

I bought a conti trainer tire last fall and I have to say, it is singlehandedly one of the most difficult tires I've ever mounted. So bad in fact, I bought a crummy wheel and tiagra 10sp cassette just so I could permanently mount that horrible tire.

The good is that thing has taken a beating this season and is holding up like a champ. Very little wear and no rubber shedding after 50+ hrs on my Kurt Kinetic.

Anyway...Ive read so many great things about the GP4000s black chili tires I decided to get a set. Although not as bad as the trainer, the GPs are no joke either! Wow...they're frustrating to mount as well. They fit so tight I actually got my first pinch flat doing the first one.

well, there's your problem. you're trying to mount a tire w/ one hand.

as others have said, conti's are not very hard to mount. we sell them all the time and mount them on all kinds of different wheels...no problem. learn how to mount tires correctly and you'll be fine.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Try mounting a Michelin on a neutron and you'll have a better idea of difficult. ;-).

Len

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, there's your problem. you're trying to mount a tire w/ one hand.

as others have said, conti's are not very hard to mount. we sell them all the time and mount them on all kinds of different wheels...no problem. learn how to mount tires correctly and you'll be fine.
LOL...yeah, one hand would be awful.

I got the GPs on by hand with no tools...their trainer tire? No freaking way, the last 6" of that thing is bad news bears...at least it is on my training wheel. My thumbs aren't strong enough to roll the last part of that bad boy...guess I'm a wuss.

I'll just give the contis more time I guess, hopefully I don't have many flats this season. I appreciate the tips guys, thanks!

·
15,670 Posts
LOL...yeah, one hand would be awful.

I got the GPs on by hand with no tools...their trainer tire? No freaking way, the last 6" of that thing is bad news bears...at least it is on my training wheel. My thumbs aren't strong enough to roll the last part of that bad boy...guess I'm a wuss.

I'll just give the contis more time I guess, hopefully I don't have many flats this season. I appreciate the tips guys, thanks!

like i said, learn how to install them correctly (don't use your thumbs) and it's a lot easier.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Wow...

Conti GP 4000 on Velocity Aerohead rims: never need tools to put on or take off. Never.

·
15,670 Posts
I've installed GP4000s by hand. I guess it just takes a bit of practice. Fusion 3 tubeless on the other hand...
tubeless? no problem. the only tires i can remember having major problems with are the WTB TLC mtb tires. they will pretty much only go on UST style rims...anything else, forget it. we returned over a dozen of them to WTB recently as we never really deal w/ UST stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.