Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the technique shown on Sheldon Brown's with a 2x4 and an Ice chest. (This prolly belongs in the wrenching forum, but it is a fixed gear project)
I'm leaning on it pretty good, bouncing lightly on it to "ease" the stays into their new spacing. I'm working the drive side, and I really put the weight on it pretty SOLID. As I did so It gave rather easily. In fact, too easily. After a few *choice* panicked words, My heart sank. I freaked. I paced around the garage and cursed and wrung my hands in a worrisome effort as if to will the injured stays back to the way they were before the "melted" under my weight.
After I composed myself and assessed the damage, The dropouts were about 3 inches apart, and I diligently began the process of coaxing the stays back to a usable spacing. I was very conservative and eventuallygot it to the right width, and amazingly enough it took more way more pressure and effort than I was expecting to get it back out.
Now this all begs the questions: Is this frame unsafe to ride? If it gives that easy laterally, will it give eventually vertically? It's really a cool frame, and I would hate to have to put it out of it's misery, but this just bugs me. FWIW, I did get both stays straight, and equally spaced using the string around the headset measurement method.
Advice Anyone?

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a plan

Dave Hickey said:
Without having it checked out, I'm not sure there is anyway to tell....

Next time, shove the wheel in there and ride it. Eventually, the frame will set itself.

Thanks Dave. I think I saw a thread a while back about wrenching Doh's and I think this one qualifies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts