Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Norwegian!!!

So I found out that my grandfather changed our last name. It had been "Flyum" (pronounced Flimm) and he changed it to "Flynn". Holy difference, Grandpa! So for almost 30 years now, I have been under the assumption that my last name was Flynn and that certainly dictated that I had a good amount of Irish in me. I have a great interest in my family's history and this new information has my mind racing. My dad was given a binder full of info relating to his side of the family dating back to 1680! It's really, really fascinating. There is a letter written by my great grandfather detailing his journey to America....it is the coolest thing. All the stuff in the binder is beyond cool, really. Family members living in "sod huts" in Minnesota....the names are classic....."Magnus", "Ole", "Lars".

Anyways, I feel now that my last name isn't "true" to who I am. My dad only found this info out after his father had died, so never got a great explanation as to why the change was made. My dad's mother thought it was for "business reasons". I guess Flynn was easier to pronounce?

What would you do? Would you change your name back to its original? That's probably extreme, but I feel weird having most of the world think I'm Irish!

So now I've gotta book a trip to Norway! I guess this also explains my afinity for the movie Fargo..... :)

Flynn (Flyum!) or just call me Magnus.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Well, that is good. I mean, why would you want to be Irish anyway? What the h#ll have they done for civilization? And no, inventing Genuiss does not countt. :D

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Sounds like it's time to change that pickup line in bars from "Do you have any Irish in you?" to "Do you have any Norwegian in you?"

Being of Irish blood, I will hereby make you an honorary Irishman and grant you rights to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and sing "Danny Boy." By all means, keep the name so you can tell the story, because if you are going to be Irish, you have to have a story to tell!

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Danny Boy....

mohair - thanks for the honorary! of course it didn't help my confusion to have my dad dye his hair green every St. Patricks Day.

lousy - uhoh....slamming the Irish? who's our token Irishman here? kpcw? guess he's gone anyways....brilliant!

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Now I'm starting to worry I'll find out that one of my ancestors changed the family name to McMahon from McMahonevic. My trip to Ireland will have been a waste and I'll have to make reservations for Serbia. nttawwt.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could happen!

mickey-mac said:
Now I'm starting to worry I'll find out that one of my ancestors changed the family name to McMahon from McMahonevic. My trip to Ireland will have been a waste and I'll have to make reservations for Serbia. nttawwt.
On a related note.....my dad has been to Ireland a few times now. On his last visit he decided to look up his mothers maiden name which is extremely Irish - McGetrick. Well, apparently there's some "official" book that lists every Irish last name. Can you guess?? No McGetrick to be found in the book! Talk about going from thinking you're almost all Irish, to having absolutely none in your blood.

Again - brilliant! :)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day

Flynn said:
mohair - thanks for the honorary! of course it didn't help my confusion to have my dad dye his hair green every St. Patricks Day.

lousy - uhoh....slamming the Irish? who's our token Irishman here? kpcw? guess he's gone anyways....brilliant!

I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me (all of my ancestors were German or Polish). But, the Catholic elementary school I attended for nine very long years (K-8), was named for the patroness of Ireland, St. Brigid, and celebrating St. Patrick's Day was an important event. I even used to make my parents take me to the St. Patrick's Day parade in Downtown Baltimore. Your mentioning of your father's green hair brought back a favorite memory of mine: Back in the 1960s and early 1970s, the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Baltimore would end right at the beginning of "The Block," Baltimore's "adult entertainment" district. The strippers in those days often sported bleached white hair (think "Marilyn Monroe wannabees"). Lots of them would dye their hair green and stand on the sidewalk outside their places of business to greet the participants at end of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. It was about as close as I came to vice in my pre-pubescent days.

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bal-more

MarkS said:
I don't have a drop of Irish blood in me (all of my ancestors were German or Polish). But, the Catholic elementary school I attended for nine very long years (K-8), was named for the patroness of Ireland, St. Brigid, and celebrating St. Patrick's Day was an important event. I even used to make my parents take me to the St. Patrick's Day parade in Downtown Baltimore. Your mentioning of your father's green hair brought back a favorite memory of mine: Back in the 1960s and early 1970s, the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Baltimore would end right at the beginning of "The Block," Baltimore's "adult entertainment" district. The strippers in those days often sported bleached white hair (think "Marilyn Monroe wannabees"). Lots of them would dye their hair green and stand on the sidewalk outside their places of business to greet the participants at end of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. It was about as close as I came to vice in my pre-pubescent days.
Too funny....my uncle lived in Balmore for years and I used to visit him often as a kid. I know EXACTLY where "the block" is!! My uncle also took me to all the "book stores" in Fells Point where he used to get the best greeting cards you could find. I can remember walking through those stores and wondering what half of the things hanging on the walls were! So much leather!

Kind of odd - my girlfriend and I just booked a trip to Balmore for St. Patricks Day. Not for any reason - just a quick weekend away. ( in Philly now ). What bars should I be going to on the 17th??

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Bars?

Flynn said:
Too funny....my uncle lived in Balmore for years and I used to visit him often as a kid. I know EXACTLY where "the block" is!! My uncle also took me to all the "book stores" in Fells Point where he used to get the best greeting cards you could find. I can remember walking through those stores and wondering what half of the things hanging on the walls were! So much leather!

Kind of odd - my girlfriend and I just booked a trip to Balmore for St. Patricks Day. Not for any reason - just a quick weekend away. ( in Philly now ). What bars should I be going to on the 17th??
You probably should ask Zeytin and/or Arby. They're a little younger than I am and probably know a little more about the current bar scene than I do. There is an Irish bar called Mick O'Shea's up the street from my office (300 block of North Charles Street) that usually has live entertainment on St. Patrick's Day. But, I would venture to guess that a lot of the bars in Fells Point probably go all out for St. Patrick's Day.

The Block is but a shadow of its former self. I haven't been to any of the establishments there in years (like the night before my wedding 18+ years ago). But, I walked through The Block just the other day and it looked pretty sad. Since you are coming with your girlfriend, I assume that you aren't looking for strip clubs. My sources tell me that the best places are not on The Block, but a few places out by I-95 that don't have liquor licenses (and, thus, do not have to comply the the liquor board regulations regarding clothing, touching, etc.)

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Not to get too off topic...

This reminds me of the Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry thinks that he's found he that he's not Jewish. The ensuing scene contains shots of Larry doing things a Jew would never do, such as work on his car, chug beer in a bar, fix the roof, etc. Funny stuff...

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
Viking Blood & Irsih Blood......

Flynn said:
I'm Norwegian!!!

So I found out that my grandfather changed our last name. It had been "Flyum" (pronounced Flimm) and he changed it to "Flynn". Holy difference, Grandpa! So for almost 30 years now, I have been under the assumption that my last name was Flynn and that certainly dictated that I had a good amount of Irish in me. I have a great interest in my family's history and this new information has my mind racing. My dad was given a binder full of info relating to his side of the family dating back to 1680! It's really, really fascinating. There is a letter written by my great grandfather detailing his journey to America....it is the coolest thing. All the stuff in the binder is beyond cool, really. Family members living in "sod huts" in Minnesota....the names are classic....."Magnus", "Ole", "Lars".

Anyways, I feel now that my last name isn't "true" to who I am. My dad only found this info out after his father had died, so never got a great explanation as to why the change was made. My dad's mother thought it was for "business reasons". I guess Flynn was easier to pronounce?

What would you do? Would you change your name back to its original? That's probably extreme, but I feel weird having most of the world think I'm Irish!

So now I've gotta book a trip to Norway! I guess this also explains my afinity for the movie Fargo..... :)

Flynn (Flyum!) or just call me Magnus.
....are pretty well intermingled anyway, given the frequency of the Viking raids on the Irish coasts to trade stuff for Irish women ....

.... so you prolly are just as Irish as Norse anyhoo ....

But if you do decide to go by "Magnus" your gonna have to spend all your time on the 53T .... :D

JJ
Irish/Scotch/Norse Mongrel

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well most Irish anyhow

came across the pond from the North regardless.genetic markers show this as the standard route, now compare Irish and Scotch Phenotypes to their Anglo Saxon Englishmen and then to Scandinavians and you'll quickly understand from where your ancestry comes.Later you had as stated the Viking weekend Rape and Pillage trips (plus a bit of Priest killin' fer good measure) which futher pushed the Viking bloodline along.

"I come from the land of the Ice and Snow....:"

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
ah a haaaaaaa haaaaa

dun dun dah Dun dun, Da dun dun dah Dun dun, dun dun dah Dun dun, DA dun dun dah Dun dun,dun dun dah Dun dun,dun dun dah Dun dun

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Flynn said:
Have you been spying on me again?
Watch that colker. Once he sets his eye on you it's stalk, stalk, stalk.....

·
i don't know
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
moreon

haiku d'etat said:
hey, me too. and disabled. nttawwt, mind you.

;)

now let the flames begin. :rolleyes:
post a pic.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts