Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fell for the first time today. I assume this would happen eventually. I should've guessed it would happen today because I went for more than twice my normal mileage ever done before (50 miles). I was starting my "climb" up one of two final hills and as soon as I stood up my right calf charlie horsed. Since I couldn't stay on the bike, I stopped and as I got off it got a lot worse. I basically ditched the bike and fell to the ground while I slowly stretched the muscle.

So although it wasn't a gruesome Tour De France omg the pelaton misjudged the turn type of crash and burn, it certainly wasn't fun!

:D

Ok, maybe it was.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
jsedlak said:
I fell for the first time today. I assume this would happen eventually. I should've guessed it would happen today because I went for more than twice my normal mileage ever done before (50 miles). I was starting my "climb" up one of two final hills and as soon as I stood up my right calf charlie horsed. Since I couldn't stay on the bike, I stopped and as I got off it got a lot worse. I basically ditched the bike and fell to the ground while I slowly stretched the muscle.

So although it wasn't a gruesome Tour De France omg the pelaton misjudged the turn type of crash and burn, it certainly wasn't fun!

:D

Ok, maybe it was.
I don't know if that counts as a real fall. You're going to have to try harder. :) TF

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Make sure you're drinking enough water, and have plenty of electrolyles and potassium in you. These will help a lot in preventing cramps. Electrolytes can easily be consumed/replenished from sports drinke e.g. Gatorade, Propel, or similar. Bananas are an excellent source for potassium.

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Make sure you're drinking enough water, and have plenty of electrolyles and potassium in you. These will help a lot in preventing cramps. Electrolytes can easily be consumed/replenished from sports drinke e.g. Gatorade, Propel, or similar. Bananas are an excellent source for potassium.
Definately had the water. The electrolytes.. definately not. I think I may be pedaling wrong though since no one ever taught me anything and am constantly pushing with my toes.

· Registered
124 Posts
If I am going to ride in excess of 2 hours, put Gatoraid (or the like) in my water bottles. Drink one bottle per hour or so. Have a full, cold glass of water in you, an hour before the ride. Eat before the ride. Carry a banana or energy bar with you.

I often stop about 40 miles into a weekend ride, refill my bottles and have a snack. Really like to sit on a park bench for a while and take in the sights while I'm there. Best reason to ride solo, no pressure from the pack. Second best reason, better views. :)

Sounds like you are having fun. Keep up the good work.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
jsedlak said:
Well if it didn't count yesterday then today's did!

My right side pedal broke off and I went down for the count. Scraped my leg and shoulder pretty good. Oh, and it was raining.
OK, that counts. You can quit falling now. - TF

· Registered
620 Posts
Let me just hang on this a minute...

jsedlak said:
Well if it didn't count yesterday then today's did!

My right side pedal broke off and I went down for the count. Scraped my leg and shoulder pretty good. Oh, and it was raining.
Your pedal broke off? What were you riding? I think some of us in this thread are getting seriously concerned...as in, what's your next move gonna be? Biking is a great sport, but it shouldn't involve getting maimed. There's lots of good info in the RBR forums about equipment, clothing and other gear, technique, training, and so forth. I'd seriously recommend you spend some time leafing through all the collected knowledge here, before you become an over-the-bar blood donor...

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SkiRacer55 said:
Your pedal broke off? What were you riding? I think some of us in this thread are getting seriously concerned...as in, what's your next move gonna be? Biking is a great sport, but it shouldn't involve getting maimed. There's lots of good info in the RBR forums about equipment, clothing and other gear, technique, training, and so forth. I'd seriously recommend you spend some time leafing through all the collected knowledge here, before you become an over-the-bar blood donor...
I am riding a bike that is more than 25 years old. My next move is probably get the bike repaired and keep looking for a replacement. I am sure it broke off because of a few factors including noise I was hearing since about mile nine when I realized my rear wheel was a bit wobbly. At that point I basically was in limp mode, riding no more than 14mph home and not really standing up on the pedals. I think the biggest factor is that I tend to hope when on uphill sections and standing up on the pedals. This probably puts a bit too much pressure on them.

· Registered
620 Posts
you gotta get a real bike...

jsedlak said:
I am riding a bike that is more than 25 years old. My next move is probably get the bike repaired and keep looking for a replacement. I am sure it broke off because of a few factors including noise I was hearing since about mile nine when I realized my rear wheel was a bit wobbly. At that point I basically was in limp mode, riding no more than 14mph home and not really standing up on the pedals. I think the biggest factor is that I tend to hope when on uphill sections and standing up on the pedals. This probably puts a bit too much pressure on them.
...if you're dedicated enough to do a fifty miler, you deserve a better steed than the one you're on now. If you want to do the "good, better, best" thing, you're talking 3 grand plus for best, $1000 to $2000 for better...but in the "good" category, you can't get some surprisingly good bikes for under a grand, for example:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5820&subcategory_ID=3040

· Registered
169 Posts
A few years ago when I got into road riding I had the same problem with cramping in my calves when I went above my normal 30 mile rides. I'm also far too lazy to clean my bottles and bike from the sticky Gatorade mess (so only water in my bottles) so I tried taking regular multi-vitamins once a day. It seemed to work really well.

Now I use Endurolyte tablets on long hot rides. The little sample baggies are perfect for a nice long ride if you pop one an hour you'll be good to go.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4037

mbb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.