I Am a Meat Popsicle
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you need another bike?

I reply, "Why do you need 75 pairs of shoes?"

She says, "But I will wear all of them eventually."

My retort, "I will ride them all more than you will wear your shoes."

Her, "But your bikes cost cost more than my shoes"

I then, trying to downplay the cost factor, I explain how I have a some Ultegra 9 laying around and all I need is a frame, wheels, brakes, and brifters to build up a killer cross bike (I was thinking Surly Cross Check FWIW)

She just gets up and leaves, probably figures it doesn't matter what she says and I'm gonna do it anyways.

Any of you haves S.O's that don't understand the new bike "itch"????
(that's sort of a rhetorical Q, i think i know the answer)

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
She is your girlfriend not your wife. Your money is your money. I suggest you look up some old girlfriends on facebook and chat with them.....trust me it works great. Oh, and please post what happens.....of to get a bag of popcorn.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
DTB.

hth

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
dump her.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Yep, the wife doesn't get the need for multiple bikes. She has one nice bike and that's all she needs, even though I have offered on numerous occasions to built her another. It confounds her even more when I start looking around. Since I already have four bikes she thinks the need for another is just ridiculous.

And you don't want to see the looks I get when I even mention another boat. :rolleyes:

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
The two happiest days of a boat owner:
The day they buy it and the day they sell it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Nope - I'm pretty lucky with my wife. She has been fairly understanding over the years about various "hobby costs" - no grief for the following:

-- constant PC upgrades in early/mid 90's to "keep current" and allow decent "gameplay"
-- repair/upgrades to my rock-crawling LandCruiser
-- lusting for a faster/better sports car (have progressed thru Trans Am's/Camero/Carerra/Corvette's/Z3/M3/Cayman S and currently pondering a 911s Cabri to get back to a ragtop)
-- constant upgrade/new purchase costs for bicycles (road and mtn)

She just reminds me not to spend my retirement savings and says I do a good job of providing for the family's wants/needs and should get a few wants of my own. Even better is that she sees bikes and parts/accessories as part of my healthy lifestyle and loves the fact that I try so hard to keep the $$/mile as low as I can. Life is good.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
My wife himms and haws over it... but she will always relent... especially when the first she's heard of a purchase is from the Fed Ex man.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Tell her to get with the program.

Or head to the door.

Money issues are in the top 5 for relationship ruiners. If she's already worried about how you spend the money you earn, you have a much bigger problem on your hands than spec'ing your Surly.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Actually, I don't complain about the shoes, bags and tops... and she lets me buy bike stuff. She knows that as soon as she starts throwing poop over a bike part is the last day she can get another bag she MUST have for the one lipstick pocket... the one that she will use for a week before she puts it in the closet because there isn't enough room for a phone and a Starbucks mug.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
you can also make an attempt to get her into cycling, but be warned... two cyclists in the household is expensive.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
#1- no one needs 75 pairs of shoes.
#2- If she's just a girlfriend, then it's not "her" money, and it shouldn't matter to her unless she's hoping that you're saving for a stupidly large engagement ring
#3- If getting a new "________" is causing financial strain in a married couple, then you've got problems.
#4- If getting a new "_____" doesn't have financial ramifications for a married couple, then get over it and be glad he/she has an enjoyable hobby.

HTH.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
The two happiest days of a boat owner:
The day they buy it and the day they sell it.
My favorite Boat quote:

A boat is nothing but a hole in the water that you constantly throw money!

Back to the topic. My G/F does not understand my addiction and will make a comment every now and then. She knows better than to try and interfere or say anything to derogatory. The new G/F thing has already been explained to her if she chooses to cross the line. She has a shiny new bike in the garage that gets regular upgrades so she sees me thinking about her. I also make sure that new biking clothing shows up every now and then to make her happy also.

·
Registered
665 Posts
rward325 said:
My favorite Boat quote:

A boat is nothing but a hole in the water that you constantly throw money!

Back to the topic. My G/F does not understand my addiction and will make a comment every now and then. She knows better than to try and interfere or say anything to derogatory. The new G/F thing has already been explained to her if she chooses to cross the line. She has a shiny new bike in the garage that gets regular upgrades so she sees me thinking about her. I also make sure that new biking clothing shows up every now and then to make her happy also.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand...

if it flies, floats, or f... it costs money. :)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Seams like a good time to revisit this;

PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT FOR THE BIKER
This agreement acknowledges that the forthcoming marriage is an arrangement that accepts the perpetual continuity of pre-existing relationship between the first two parties and that a three-way coexistence shall be created consisting of the following participants:
Spouse A (the non biking loved one) hereafter referred to as SA; Spouse B (the biker) hereafter referred to as SB, and; The Bike (the glorious one) hereafter referred to as TB.

Condition I: Acknowledgment SA shall henceforth recognize that SB and TB have forged a long standing and unbreakable relationship and shall never attempt to permanently divide, or otherwise separate the two.

Condition II: Cohabitation SA and SB shall agree upon comfortable and equal living quarters for TB, it's related service equipment and riding gear. TB shall only be exposed to the elements of nature during rides. All other times TB shall have access to warm, dry, low traffic living space. If at any time there should be conflict w/ SA, SB or furniture, TB shall have preference as to where it stays. In SA's absence TB shall be permitted bedroom space (if not already arranged).

Condition III: Exclusivity and Infidelity At no time shall SA, SB, or TB be loaned out to be ridden by anyone outside the three-way relationship. SA must request from SB permission to ride, fondle or otherwise physically contact TB and only do so in the presence of SB.

Condition IV: Equal Time SA shall be guaranteed quality time equivalent to TB unless it conflicts with TB in which case TB gets preference. Service time shall be guaranteed and considered a separate requirement. In the event of emergency, ie SA stranded, child sets hair on fire etc, SB shall complete whatever TB related activity as soon as possible and attend said emergency. In the event of a in-law visit or should for any reason, SB become depressed, or otherwise in need of stress relief, SB shall be permitted as much time w/TB or TB related activities, magazines, books, events etc as needed until such time SB feels better.

Condition V: Parts SA and SB will agree that SB be permitted and encouraged to purchase any and all TB related equipment at any and all times, weather they be repairs, replacements, upgrades, or just plain Chi-Chi. Any replaced parts shall be considered cherished spares and provided appropriate storage space equivalent to that provided for TB, preferably under the bed, favorite closet or on coffee table as a conversation item. New Items immediately installed shall require TB to be put on prominent display (ie in front of TV). Newly purchased items not immediately installed shall be put on display as a centerpiece during the day and they shall be kept under the pillow of SB at bed time, unless it is potentially dangerous to said part. This shall be for no less than 5 days or until they are installed whichever comes first.

Condition VI: Finance All household finance shall be considered separate from TB finance. If conflict should arise then TB gets preference.

Condition VII: Disposition In the event SA has a compatible bike SB can offer spare parts to be temporarily installed for use by SA until such time SB requires their use on TB. No prior notice is required. All equipment and The Bike they are installed upon or intended for, shall remain the property of SB come hell or high water, and shall not be relinquished under any circumstance including death, in which case the surviving party will be obligated to complete the upgrades (expressed, implied or dreamed of)and bury the bike with the departed, unless TB or SB requests a separate grave in which case they shall be buried side by side and SA shall not be buried between them.

Condition VIII: Protected Communications All TB related communications intended for SB, be they voice (phone messages, visitors); print (mail-order catalogues, etc.); or electronic (e-mail, buddies calling to ride, etc.) shall be forwarded and delivered to SB as expediently as possible. Furthermore, no censorship of said communications shall occur, and SA agrees to refrain from making disparaging comments about the content of these communications and/or their source(s).

Extended Conditions: TB shall never be the focus of an argument nor brought up as part of one. TB shall never be discussed w/ in-laws unless said discussion is in praise or defense of TB. No retaliation shall ever be taken against TB.

All of the above is to be considered iron-clad and in stone and non negotiable, unless of course, the nonbiker says so.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts