Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I have these Crank Bros Candy Cs I can't clip into.

Mmmmkay... Bring em in and we'll look at em. Prolly an adjustment.

Nope. I know what I'm doing... I can move the spring back and forth with my fingers.

OK. We'll send em back to Crank Bros for you OR you can call em yourself which'll prolly be quicker.

[paraphrasing some for the sake of brevity]What am I gonna ride while you send the pedals back?

I don't know...

I bought em at YOUR store about a year ago, so you should replace em.

All I'm gonna do is send em back to Crank Bros.

You're missing the point: what am I gonna ride? You sold em to me. Your shop should be responsible.

All I'm gonna do is send em back to Crank Bros for you... I'm NOT gonna give you a new pair of pedals. It isn't our shop's fault, its Crank Bros.

You're missing the point...

No, I'm NOT missing the point. I'm not gonna give you a new pair of pedals.

With customer service like this, its no wonder yer getting [beaten] by other shops... (there was a bit more, but you get the tone.)

Finally ended up with the dood pissed at me 'cause I wasn't gonna take a pair of Crank Bros pedals out of the box so he had something to ride while the pedals were warrantied.

Now I ask you (going back to the 'how do I get good service at the LBS' thread) would YOU go outta yer way to help a dood that bought a pair of pedals LAST YEAR (or more?!) with unknown mileage and abuse on em that you don't know from Adam. Keep in mind, company policy is pretty much against giving him a new pair of pedals... OR would you do what I did and tell him that he's pretty much SOL?

:ear

M

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Oh, just to be a nice guy I might dig around in the scrap box and see if we had a pair of something to offer but if the customer starts with an attitude I likely wouldn't bother.

Karma, ya know.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
Oh, just to be a nice guy I might dig around in the scrap box and see if we had a pair of something to offer but if the customer starts with an attitude I likely wouldn't bother.

Karma, ya know.
I know we don't have any in our bin o fun. We're pretty lean in misc small stuff like that.

M

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Unless he started out being a total a$$hat I would have offered to put some loaners on the bike. Most shops have an old sets of pedals around and this amount of extra effort might keep a customer from the warm embrace of low cost inter-web sales. However if he started out being a total turd gurgler than I would have done as you did.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't work at an LBS I am just a customer but I agree that you did the right thing. It would have been one thing if they were less then a couple of months old and showed no signs of any abuse but to be a year old then they need to deal with the mfg.

·
Registered
960 Posts
tell him that you have a set he can borrow for the time while his Candy's are being replaced, then give him some plastic platform pedals and tell him "company policy states that we can't loan out gear worth more than $50 dollars without actually using a rental agreement, and our rental price for a pair of Crank Bros. pedals start at $55 for the weekend."

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
I wouldn't have given that joker new pedals... a buddy might have gotten better service (loaner if available, not not NIB pedals), but also prob wouldn't have been a jackass on the phone

on the flip side, I called a shop once looking for a specific tool, not brand x which I already have and I know wouldn't work. nope, we don't have it they guy sez... no problem. shopdude calls me back a few minutes later (WTF? caller ID I guess), sez they DO have the tool. ok great, I make a special trip and drive over. get there, and it is brand x tool that I know doesn't work. WTFF??? waste my time...

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
honestly, if he came into the shop i would probably throw a pair of plastic flats his way, but not a straight up replacement. maybe charge him for another pair with the stipulation that once the warranteed pedals came in you would throw the credit on his card.

i thought parts were like electronics, < 30days is the shops issue. after that, see the manufacturer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I owned and worked at a bike shop a while back. I would do just about anything for my customers including finding a new frame if necessary and delivering bikes to their homes after a service if they had a problem with collection. It often paid off in the long run.
We'd always have extra pedals and other bits and pieces for this exact scenario. Back then Crank Bros stuff wasn't available and so I probably would have offered a pair of Look or Time pedals. Hypothetically speaking, if the customer was happy to accept the compromise – great. Everyone’s happy. If not, then they were on their own.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
MShaw said:
Now I ask you (going back to the 'how do I get good service at the LBS' thread) would YOU go outta yer way to help a dood that bought a pair of pedals LAST YEAR (or more?!) with unknown mileage and abuse on em that you don't know from Adam. Keep in mind, company policy is pretty much against giving him a new pair of pedals... OR would you do what I did and tell him that he's pretty much SOL?

What would I do? Well... let me tell you what my LBS just did for a friend:

Friend asked me recently for a recommendation for a good mechanic; he was getting an intermmitant clicking from his bottom bracket. I mention my guy, say I've had nothing but excellence from him, you should try him, blah blah blah... So my friend takes his bike to my guy.

(I should mention that my guy runs a tiny hole-in-the-wall shop, probably does more in repair/maintenance work than he does in sales. But still, he's got a storefront retail establishment so he qualifies as an LBS.)

The guy fixes my friend's bottom bracket with a one day turnaround. When my friend goes to pick up the bike, he happens to mention that he's also been having problems with the springs in his 10-year-old Campy clipless pedals. Mechanic looks them over, determines that something is worn beyond repair, suggests that my friend buys a new set of pedals...then realizes that he doesn't have any of this sort of pedal in stock.

Mechanic then goes over to HIS PERSONAL BIKE and takes HIS PERSONAL PEDALS off the bike, attaches them to my friend's bike, and says "Use these until I can locate a new set for you."

It's been about 5 weeks, my friend is still riding on borrowed pedals (the owner's personal pedals...I did mention that, didn't I?), apparently that model Campy pedal may no longer be available, so eventually something will have to change. But you know what's definitely changed already? My friend's allegience to his old LBS. You can bet he'll be going back to my guy for all his future purchase & wrenching needs.

So what was the question again?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
This is just more evidence that most bike shops are elitist and way too often are responsible for the customer vs. bike shop mentality that is so common within the cycling community.

First, there will ALWAYS be a certain % of customers that suck. This exists in all retail businesses. If you work in a bike shop, wake up and get a clue, your job is to deal with the asshats professionally and WITHOUT attitude even if the customer pukes attitude all over you. It seems many bike shop employees think they are exempt from the ins and outs of regular old retail.

Second, in this case, the guy would have gotten new pedals, or at least a refund on the old ones, at stores such as REI and Performance. While I understand LBS's can't or don't have the same return policies, bike shop employees need to understand where certain customer expectations come from. Out in the big box retail world, this guy would have been treated differently. Thus, it is a bike shop's employee's duty to understand this dynamic and smooth things over with customers. If the bike shop cannot offer a refund, then it should offer loaner pedals of some sort. The pro bike shop folks are always arguing that it is better to have a relationship with a good LBS than buy from the big box stores or internet. My question is, with a no loaner policy on pedals, what advantage does the LBS have to offer here? Indeed, perhaps the top reason, if not one of the main reasons, I buy at my LBS is because it will offer loaners when my bike or equipment goes bad. If the LBS can't offer something, than it should never expect people to shop there over the internet or big box shops.

In the case, the LBS may have lost a customer. All money is green whether it comes from an asshat or a nice dude.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Tschai said:
This is just more evidence that most bike shops are elitist and way too often are responsible for the customer vs. bike shop mentality that is so common within the cycling community.

First, there will ALWAYS be a certain % of customers that suck. This exists in all retail businesses. If you work in a bike shop, wake up and get a clue, your job is to deal with the asshats professionally and WITHOUT attitude even if the customer pukes attitude all over you. It seems many bike shop employees think they are exempt from the ins and outs of regular old retail.

Second, in this case, the guy would have gotten new pedals, or at least a refund on the old ones, at stores such as REI and Performance. While I understand LBS's can't or don't have the same return policies, bike shop employees need to understand where certain customer expectations come from. Out in the big box retail world, this guy would have been treated differently. Thus, it is a bike shop's employee's duty to understand this dynamic and smooth things over with customers. If the bike shop cannot offer a refund, then it should offer loaner pedals of some sort. The pro bike shop folks are always arguing that it is better to have a relationship with a good LBS than buy from the big box stores or internet. My question is, with a no loaner policy on pedals, what advantage does the LBS have to offer here? Indeed, perhaps the top reason, if not one of the main reasons, I buy at my LBS is because it will offer loaners when my bike or equipment goes bad. If the LBS can't offer something, than it should never expect people to shop there over the internet of big box shops.

In the case, the LBS may have lost a customer. All money is green whether it comes from an asshat or a nice dude.

so you're saying someone can be a total d!ck AND expect great service? AWESOME :thumbsup:

and if a shop refuses to bend over backwards for the d!ck they are "elitist?" what if said d!ck only bought one pair of pedals in one year, does d!ck's green money really matter that much to the shop? IIWM, not sure I would care that I lost d!ck as a customer or that I would want d!ck bringing in more d!cks to the shop if d!ck remained a customer

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Tschai said:
Agree...the guy had unrealistic expectations, but to say the customer should contact the manuf. directly is a copout to me. Good customer service would have been to ask him to bring them in so a wrench can inspect them. If they are defective the LBS could contact the manuf of the customer's behalf and see about a warranty replacement. They certiainly don't owe him new pedals in the meantime, but it'd be nice to loan him some pedals if they had some used ones laying around the shop. That's the kind of thing that'd keep me coming back to buy more stuff and why I'd voluntarily pay more money than I could get it for online. Seems that the only people who get this kind of service anymore are the ones getting "bro" deals from the shop anyway.

If I have to contact the manuf. myself I might as well have just bought online and saved a few $$.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
FatTireFred said:
so you're saying someone can be a total d!ck AND expect great service? AWESOME :thumbsup:

and if a shop refuses to bend over backwards for the d!ck they are "elitist?" what if said d!ck only bought one pair of pedals in one year, does d!ck's green money really matter that much to the shop? IIWM, not sure I would care that I lost d!ck as a customer or that I would want d!ck bringing in more d!cks to the shop if d!ck remained a customer

Everything you said here underscores my position...strongly underscores it!!! The attitide, the excuses and so on. Bike shop employees continuously attempt to justify why they are exempt from the world of retail.

Bottom line, if the shop can't offer loaners, why have shops at all. Having loaners is precisely one of the main reasons people should use shops over the internet and such.

Wake up man, it is called retail. If an LBS does not want customers like the pedal dude, that is their right, but is smacks of elitism in spades.

Also, in terms of the money issue, the idea in retail is to have overall good customer service. It is called a "big picture" approach. One dude doesn't make the business, but that dude knows dudes who know dudes and so on. You get the point, right? In retail employees must approach such things from a global perspective.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Tschai said:
Everything you said here underscores my position...strongly underscores it!!! The attitide, the excuses and so on. Bike shop employees continuously attempt to justify why they are exempt from the world of retail.

Bottom line, if the shop can't offer loaners, why have shops at all. Having loaners is precisely one of the main reasons people should use shops over the internet and such.

Wake up man, it is called retail. If an LBS does not want customers like the pedal dude, that is their right, but is smacks of elitism in spades.
The customer is not always right, but it's a good place to start from if you want to stay in business.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Reminds me of a phone call I got before at my shop...

I did exactly what MB1 said... I went to the back, brought out a used, workable, 9spd cassette to loan him.

I don't remember exactly what he said... and typically it takes quite a bit to aggravate me as I feel I'm one of the mellowest guys on the planet, but somehow the conversation ended with me saying "Actually, it looks like this one is bent. Probably why its in the parts bin. Sorry man! You'll just have to wait!"

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.