Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...my rear hub went flooey.

Mavic 571/2 basically locked up into FG mode.

Took it apart and what did I find? One of the little bolts that holds the pawl to the hub body had broken! WTF HowTF did THAT happen?

Luckily, I was 1/4mi from work and could ride it in without coasting.

So I took the hub apart yesterday. Looks like the ramps on the FH body are sorta buggered up. They appear to be not too bad so I'll prolly just reuse it.

Both sets of roller bearings inboard are dry and semi-rusty! Eeek! Gonna hafta remember to take this hub apart more often!! I built this wheel several years ago. I didn't know about the roller bearings inside, so never took it apart.

The brass peice that comprises the pawl is buggered up 'cause of the head of the bolt/body of the bolt getting jammed into it and then sheared off. Replacement time!

SO, any of y'all know whether the older Mavic FHs are compatible with the newer hubs? Parts gonna be an issue? I'm off to the LBS tomorrow... Thank doG for extra wheelsets!

M

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Start the clock, to see how long it takes to get parts. (if possible)

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Start the clock, to see how long it takes to get parts. (if possible)
Not as long as you think! I've got another rear hub in storage in Phx. All it'll take is a call to my buddy that lives nearby...

OH!!! you meant from Mavic!! That's another story!

M

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even BETTER news! I looked thru my bin o' parts this AM and what did I find? The extra 571/2 hubset!

Sweet!

I'm headed out to the LBS now to see what parts are available, and how long it'll take to get em.

I'll post info when I get some.

M

·
Registered
171 Posts
Happened to me this morning.....

JRA, down-shifted for a hill, and then clank, clank, clank, tinkle, crunch, etc. You get the idea. Stopped to look, saw nothing unusual. But, the wheel kinda flopped back & forth at the rim. I was only about 1.5 miles from home, so decided to "limp" home (wouldn't have done that but this is a warranty fix). As long as I just kept pedalling easily, it was sort of OK.

Took the wheel to the local Trek LBS, and yep, the inside bearing on the ride side had totally self-destructed. Kinda messy in there.

The bike is a 2006, six-month-old 5.2 Madone Triple with Ultegra drivetrain but Bontrager Race Lite wheels. Supposedly Trek will ship a complete new Bontrager wheel, but the wait is unknown. Thank God for spare wheels.

BTW- Bontrager wheels are only waranteed for 1 year, according to the LBS.

Sheesh!

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just hopped down the strip mall to my LBS and between the two of us, got the offending bolt's remnants outta the hub.

Its skeery watching someone drill on yer 'no longer produced unobtanium' hub lemme tell ya! The only reason I didn't freak is that I happen to have another one at home.

Now all I gotta do is file out the goobered up piece, find another bolt, install everything, and get back to riding those wheels!

M

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gutpile said:
the cause is from JRA. you got to hammer the hades out of them hubs sets or they freeze up on ya.
well h3ll! why didn't I think of that?!

Only problem is... at the moment, I'm allergic to hammering! Makes my legs hurt, makes me break out in a sweat, makes me breathe hard, etc. Oooof ! MUCH mo bettah to JRA!

Almost as bad as hills!

LOL

edit: the replacement parts are on the way from Mavic as we speak! WOOT!

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.