Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chad didn't shake his hand or congratulate him after winning the 1000m. Shani said "it woulda been nice if Chad had shook his hand, or hugged him like a good teammate, like he did."

Chad's response was "he felt betrayed about Shani dropping out of the team pursuit, and that Shani didn't even talk to him about it. He felt they gave up a medal cause Shani didn't race."

Well, at least it's out there.

I see both points. Chad coulda taken the higher ground and congratulated Shani, but that's a little difficult when you feel 'betrayed.' Shani coulda been a better teammate and raced the pursuit, like he said he would, but that may have risked his chances at winning the 1000m.

Just proves the competition is fierce between these two.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
This is all a bunch of BS on Chad's part. Shani never intended to do the pursuit, never practiced it with the team, and everyone knows he wants nothing to do with it. So every time Chad says Shani dropped out of the pursuit, it's a bald faced lie.

Anyone who knows Shani's history knows that he felt burned by the team in 2002 and was not interested in doing team events--EVER. Not that I care all that much, but from what I've seen and read, Shani seems a hell of a lot classier than Chad.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Too bad the media kept shoving mics in their faces and stirring the pot. Would have been better to just see them skate. The drama off the ice was a waste of everyone's time and energy.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mohair_chair said:
This is all a bunch of BS on Chad's part. Shani never intended to do the pursuit, never practiced it with the team, and everyone knows he wants nothing to do with it. So every time Chad says Shani dropped out of the pursuit, it's a bald faced lie.

Anyone who knows Shani's history knows that he felt burned by the team in 2002 and was not interested in doing team events--EVER. Not that I care all that much, but from what I've seen and read, Shani seems a hell of a lot classier than Chad.
I'm under the impression they asked Shani a week before the event and he agreed, then backed out when he didn't perform well in the 500m. He didn't want to risk the real reason why he was there, to win the 1000m. Which he did.

He had the opportunity and chose not to let this die. NBC is certainly happy with their hype.

Shani certainly made his statement by beating Chad in the 1500m. Do your talkin' with your skates, and stop hurting your chances for endorsements. His mother should hire a publicist to reign him in and help repair his image. This is becoming an expensive perceived slight for Shani.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
This "thing" with Davis has been going on for years. Most everybody in the sport (past and present) has a "problem" with Davis and his mother.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Heard the same...

MR_GRUMPY said:
This "thing" with Davis has been going on for years. Most everybody in the sport (past and present) has a "problem" with Davis and his mother.
I've heard the same grumblings about this guy. He did say that he was going to skate the team pursuit, and then pulled out a couple of days before the race, and the other guys had to scramble. It's too bad, Shani probably could have had another gold medal to hang around his neck, and the 1000 was something like 3 or 4 days after that? Is he trying to say he can't skate the pursuit, and then not recover in time to skate the 1000? That's laughable really.

That being said, until the introduction of the team pursuit, I think speed skating has been more of an "individual" sport, even though these guys are on the US team. Everyone is out for themselves here, and to do the best that they can. It's just one skater versus the clock, well, except for in short track, but that's a different kettle of fish. Shani though does seem a little whiney and attention grabbing, especially after he said Hedrick didn't shake his hand or give him a hug after he won. Whoopee doo!! He doesn't like you, you don't like him, why in the world be nice to him after his win. Screw that. I do think Chad should have taken the high road in that press conference, and just said, something like, "Shani, congratulations on your 1000 win, and the silver in the 1500. You deserve it." And left it at that, he would have looked far classier in my opinion, well, he did anyway. My girlfriend turned to me after that little exchange and said something like, "Yeah, you're right, he is an arsehole."

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
magnolialover said:
It's too bad, Shani probably could have had another gold medal to hang around his neck, and the 1000 was something like 3 or 4 days after that? Is he trying to say he can't skate the pursuit, and then not recover in time to skate the 1000? That's laughable really.
I think the 1000 was 2 days after. Also, consider that he would have had to skate in 3 heats to medal in the pursuit, and that could have affected him in his best event, his best chance for gold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think he's a little *****...

a pouty, whiny little *****. C'mon, you win the gold medal, show some enthusiasm and don't act like a pissed off little douche on national tv. Totally pathetic. Sure, go ahead and fight whatever battles you need to, but no need to act out on national tv like an over-emotional junior high school girl.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
magnolialover said:
He did say that he was going to skate the team pursuit, and then pulled out a couple of days before the race, and the other guys had to scramble. It's too bad, Shani probably could have had another gold medal to hang around his neck

<snip>

he [Hedrick] would have looked far classier in my opinion, well, he did anyway. My girlfriend turned to me after that little exchange and said something like, "Yeah, you're right, he is an arsehole."
Davis stated that after 2002 where he was a member of the team but not given an opportunity to skate that he wouldn't take a place from another competitor. That sentiment plus wanting to be fresh for the 1,000, his premier event, were the two reasons he didn't skate in the team pursuit.

Hedrick is the arse. He went into the games spouting "5 golds." He fueled the story that Davis isn't a team player. And did you notice the post race congratulations after the 1,500? Hedrick came up and awkwardly clasped Fabris and said something like "good race." Davis came up and looked genuinely happy for the guy. I mean, and underdog takes gold in the Olympics in his home country? After the race all Hedrick could say is that he raced more than the other guys (not more than Fabris, BTW) and was tired and the Davis rivarly messed him up. The dude is throwing out excuses left and right.

The fact is that Fabris skated an absolutely fantastic final lap to scorch the field and Hedrick can't accept that he got beat by the faster skater. Who's the arse?

Edit: Hedrick couldn't even look Fabris in the eyes after 1,500.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gripped said:
Davis stated that after 2002 where he was a member of the team but not given an opportunity to skate that he wouldn't take a place from another competitor. That sentiment plus wanting to be fresh for the 1,000, his premier event, were the two reasons he didn't skate in the team pursuit.

Hedrick is the arse. He went into the games spouting "5 golds." He fueled the story that Davis isn't a team player. And did you notice the post race congratulations after the 1,500? Hedrick came up and awkwardly clasped Fabris and said something like "good race." Davis came up and looked genuinely happy for the guy. I mean, and underdog takes gold in the Olympics in his home country? After the race all Hedrick could say is that he raced more than the other guys (not more than Fabris, BTW) and was tired and the Davis rivarly messed him up. The dude is throwing out excuses left and right.

The fact is that Fabris skated an absolutely fantastic final lap to scorch the field and Hedrick can't accept that he got beat by the faster skater. Who's the arse?

Edit: Hedrick couldn't even look Fabris in the eyes after 1,500.
They're both a$$es for different reasons. But the more I think about it, the more Davis comes up smelling bad.

Davis' displayed a lack of character by dropping out of the pursuit at the last minute. It's the catalist for the rift. He's pretty much an outsider. He doesn't train with the team. They haven't gotten to know him, to like him, or understand him.

You can hardly call Chad an a$$ for wanting to win 5 gold medals? If that sounds arrogant, well, that's competition. People have dreams and goals. He wanted to match Eric Heiden's record. He felt betrayed because Davis dropped out of the race at the last minute. (I've gotten pissed at people who bail at the last minute for a concert. Far less at stake there.) $25K goes to a US Olympian who wins a gold medal.

Chad was an a$$ for not understanding Davis' desire to win the 1000m. Of course, it helps if Davis coulda gone up to Chad and said "Hey, sorry I can't race the pursuit. I didn't perform to my expectations in the 500m and don't want to risk doing the same in the 1000m by racing the pursuit."

Regardless, Chad coulda taken the high road, but I doubt if I would have either.

Davis is an a$$ for bringing the rift up again when it was almost a dead issue.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well lets see

Chad is doing all those races and when he didn't medal in the 1000 and his bronze in the 1500 he said "it's because I'm doing all those races"

Wouldn't that kinda confirm Davis' point about saving himself for the race he really had a shot in?

from what I heard Davis never agreed to the pursuit but I could be acting on bad intel.but I don't think he dropped out at the last minute.

my post race opinion was the same. Chad looked totally insincere to Fabris while Davis looked up at the timer and gave that "well I gave it my best" look and was quite congratulatory to Fabris.
Chad was a total d!ckhead to Shani in regards to the 1000 victory. "I'm happy for Cheeks"
I think Chad is just uber competitive but he comes off as an arse. He had high hopes (and probably high endorsement ambitions) but his attitude is gonna kill his marketability.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
atpjunkie said:
He (Hedricks) had high hopes (and probably high endorsement ambitions) but his attitude is gonna kill his marketability.
I don't think Hedricks' marketing capacity is going to be harmed by any of this. He was making more than $150k per annum back when he was an inline skater and his "drive" isn't any less apparent now.

Plus, the media has done a great job of casting this as all Davis' fault -- not that Davis has done anything to make this harder for them.

And to spyderman, I'm kind of surprised you are buying the media line on this ...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
$150k

is pocket change to the Wheaties Box I'm sure he ws shooting for. Sports Marketing $s are huge and neither of these 2 are gonna cash in big time as both have proven to be not too marketable because of their attitudes. If Chad would have kept his yap shut after the Granny story he'd still be looking at some big dollars. I'm thinking Joey "I donated my winnings" Cheeks is gonna be the big $ winner of the US Skaters. the 21 year old combine winner looks great as well. maybe the Tomatoe. Where's the great story here that Madison Ave is gonna jump on? anyone care to add any?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Shani didn't get congrats for winning from someone he crapped on?

Hey Shani S T F U and go away. I have found myself rooting against some American athletes this time because they are spoiled, self-involved p-ricks.

Michelle Kwan shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Bode Miller (shakes head)

Shani Davis, you'll be little more than a trivia question in 6 months.

Look at Shawn White. The guy is a millionaire several times over, wins gold and his completely happy and gracious. Or look at the x-country skier from Kenya. He finished DFL in his race and was grinning like an idiot!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I'm thinking Joey "I donated my winnings" Cheeks is gonna be the big $ winner of the US Skaters.
I meant to mention Cheeks. Great story -- donates the $25,000 for gold plus the $15,000 for silver and gets matching donations for the Right to Play charity. He used his spotlight to pony up over a quarter mil (including corporate matches) to a charity. Bravo.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
we are talking about

spyderman said:
Chad didn't shake his hand or congratulate him after winning the 1000m. Shani said "it woulda been nice if Chad had shook his hand, or hugged him like a good teammate, like he did."

Chad's response was "he felt betrayed about Shani dropping out of the team pursuit, and that Shani didn't even talk to him about it. He felt they gave up a medal cause Shani didn't race."

Well, at least it's out there.

I see both points. Chad coulda taken the higher ground and congratulated Shani, but that's a little difficult when you feel 'betrayed.' Shani coulda been a better teammate and raced the pursuit, like he said he would, but that may have risked his chances at winning the 1000m.

Just proves the competition is fierce between these two.

two GROWN MEN, right? they're both children with egos. They race for the USA TEAM!! not themselves!! not this week! makes me sick athletes at some of the highest calibur at the olympics just don't seem to get that. turn it off, go for a ride.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I don't think many athletes

still race for America or whatever country they are from. it's allabout 'me' and nationality is less and less each year. Nice story about ****skaya though,can't help but pull for her given all she's faced.

I'd bravo Cheeks but (being the cynic I am) could all be a ploy to endear himself to America for huge marketing $'s. His agent could be saying "2 birds with one stone son"
" You donate to a good cause of 40K" "gonna earn ya millions from Madison Ave. Consider it a P-R investment. Spend a dime tomake a dollar."
I hope not, but I work in marketing and advertising so nothing suprises me.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
didn't even see that

but it's my bet that she'd be the 'best time' of all the ice princesses. I think she's a 'go-er' nudge,nudge,wink, wink and did you see her bootie?If I was single I'd definitely hit it as it would surely hit back.
atp likes the 'dirty girls'

does anyone have any PreOlympic Pix of Chad. I think he had his teeth done just for the games to help sell that smile.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
atpjunkie said:
does anyone have any PreOlympic Pix of Chad. I think he had his teeth done just for the games to help sell that smile.
Here is one from around 1999. I met him a couple of times at inline events. He totally dominated the sport.

As for the Shani/Chad debate, they are both acting like ego-maniacs....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts