Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a GREAT deal on a new set of wheels but they have Shimano 105hubs and I run Campy. The wheels are not real high end but decent. I want to replace the rear hub with a new 10spd Campy compatible hub. What should I buy? I want decent quality at a good price. No sense putting a Record hub on this set of wheels. Veloce a good choice? Other manufacturers hubs? What do you recommend? BTW, I don't want to use a conversion cassette as I've got a good Chorus cassette just laying around.

· soy un perdedor
839 Posts
American Classic

I'm KIDDING, couldn't resist.

I think excel has the Veloce rears for like $75. I've never heard anything bad about them. Campy hubs are a little pricey.

You might consider ebaying the wheels at a profit and starting from scratch.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why not just use a 105 10 speed cassette? Should work pretty fine. You won't save very much swapping hubs, over buying a new wheel.

· Registered
80 Posts
Centaur hubs are essentially record hubs with less bling. They're a really good deal IMHO.

I don't have any experience with Veloce rear hubs, but they're heavier and use cartridge bearings. That said, I have a Mirage font hub (1 step lower than veloce, same design) and it is way better that the 105 front hub I have.

· Registered
71 Posts
Sell the campy cassette on ebay. Buy a shiftmate and a shimano cassette and your shifting should be great. www.jtekengineering.com sells the shiftmate. Should be cheaper than a new hub and relaceing the wheel. Just another option. Maybe you could sell the wheels on ebay for more than you paid and use the extra cash to buy a better set of wheels with campy hubs.

· Registered
6,326 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
I got a GREAT deal on a new set of wheels but they have Shimano 105hubs and I run Campy. The wheels are not real high end but decent. I want to replace the rear hub with a new 10spd Campy compatible hub. What should I buy? I want decent quality at a good price. No sense putting a Record hub on this set of wheels. Veloce a good choice? Other manufacturers hubs? What do you recommend? BTW, I don't want to use a conversion cassette as I've got a good Chorus cassette just laying around.
I have both Veloce and Chorus hubs. The Veloce hubs run great and are very smooth. The main downside of Veloce is weight. The rear is a good 100g heavier then Centaur. I have seen Veloce rear hubs for as low as $65. Another option might be to find a lightly used Campy hub on ebay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.