Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal...a little late I know but I had about 5000.00 to spend and was looking at the 2007 S works SL leftovers for around 4500.00. Well none are around me in my size?!?! So I got to thinking, I could buy a 08 sl2 module for around 3000.00 at the LBS. That comes with seatpost and crankset already installed. I have Zipp 303's to slap on her! I can get a Dura Ace group 08 online for around 800.00 on ebay!! I can have a SL2 for what I wanted to pay for a SL last year! Am I missing something.....

·
Administrator
13,145 Posts
I went the SL2 module route as well (58cm Raw). Built it up with SRAM Red/Zipp 404's in race mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same conundrum. How do LBS's feel when you just buy frames and then parts off the net? Because it seems even at their price I should be able to get one built for around $5,600. Which is 1,100 more than the SL. But is it that much superior?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I build all my own..

and have saved a ton doing so.. My LBS charges about $100 to build up, and if I wasn't confident in what I was doing I'd go that route.. I've probably built up all my own bikes since 97 and have yet to have any issues I couldn't figure out.. Once you've got it built, you could always take it in to them for a "tune up"..

·
Registered
47 Posts
edesros168 said:
Did you guys do the build? Or pay a bike shop to build it up? Were you using all new parts or taking bars and wheels off previous bikes?
I'm using the parts off the bike, that is realy a TT bike but i've been using it as my road bike. And I will rebuild the TT bike with the stuff I took off of it.

·
Administrator
13,145 Posts
Unless you have a torque wrench and know how to use it, pay for a Specialized dealer build. Shimano 7900 might be scarce and pricey on Ebay for quite a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.