Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me a 1970s classic* rock song that is good?

*By "classic" you know what I mean - the kind that they play 3 times a day on the "classic rock" stations that nearly every town has, where the play list goes something like this:

Meatloaf - by the dashboard light
Seger - katmandu
Anything from REO
Ted Nugent - catscratch fever
etc.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
You ought to be able to find it here......

<TABLE width="87%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1970</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon And Garfunkel</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"American Woman" - The Guess Who</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Get Ready" - Rare Earth</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Band Of Gold" - Freda Payne</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - B.J. Thomas</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"ABC" - The Jackson 5</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Let It Be" - The Beatles</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"(They Long To Be) Close To You" - Carpenters</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Mama Told Me Not To Come" - Three Dog Night</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"War" - Edwin Starr</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE width="87%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1971</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Joy To The World" - Three Dog Night</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"It's Too Late" - Carole King</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"How Do You Mend A Broken Heart" - Bee Gees</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Indian Reservation" - The Raiders</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"One Bad Apple" - The Osmonds</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Go Away Little Girl" - Donny Osmond</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" - The Temptations</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Take Me Home, Country Roads" - John Denver</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Maggie May" - Rod Stewart</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Knock Three Times" - Dawn</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1972</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"American Pie" - Don McLean</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Alone Again (Naturally)" - Gilbert O'Sullivan</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Without You" - Nilsson</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Brand New Key" - Melanie</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"I Gotcha" - Joe Tex</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" - Wayne Newton</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Let's Stay Together" - Al Green</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"The First Time Ever I Saw You Face" - Roberta Flack</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Lean On Me" - Bill Withers</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1973</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree" - Dawn featuring Tony Orlando</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" - Jim Croce</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Crocodile Rock" - Elton John</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"My Love" - Paul McCartney & Wings</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Touch Me In The Morning" - Diana Ross</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Delta Dawn" - Helen Reddy</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Playground In My Mind" - Clint Holmes</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Killing Me Softly With His Song" - Roberta Flack</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Me And Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1974</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"The Way We Were" - Barbra Streisand</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Come And Get Your Love" - Redbone</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Seasons In The Sun" - Terry Jacks</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Show And Tell" - Al Wilson</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Love's Theme" - The Love Unlimited Orchestra</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"The Loco-motion" - Grand Funk</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Bennie And The Jets" - Elton John</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"You Make Me Feel Brand New" - The Stylistics</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Sunshine On My Shoulders" - John Denver</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"T.S.O.P. (The Sound Of Philadelphia)"" - MFSB featuring The Three Degrees</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1975</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Love Will Keep Us Together" - Captain & Tennille</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Rhinestone Cowboy" - Glen Campbell</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Fame" - David Bowie</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Shining Star" - Earth, Wind and Fire</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"My Eyes Adored You" - Frankie Valli</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Thank God I'm A Country Boy" - John Denver</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Philadelphia Freedom" - Elton John</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"One Of These Nights" - Eagles</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Pick Up The Pieces" - Average White Band</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"At Seventeen" - Janis Ian</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1976</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Disco Lady" - Johnnie Taylor</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Elton John and Kiki Dee</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Tonight's The Night" - Rod Stewart</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Kiss and Say Goodbye" - The Manhattans</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Silly Love Songs" - Paul McCartney and Wings</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"A Fifth Of Beethoven" - Walter Murphy</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Love Machine (Part 1)" - The Miracles</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" - Paul Simon</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)" - The Four Seasons</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1977</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"You Light Up My Life" - Debby Boone</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"I Just Want To Be Your Everything" - Andy Gibb</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Evergreen" - Barbra Streisand</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Undercover Angel" - Alan O'Day</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"I Like Dreamin'" - Kenny Nolan</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Dancing Queen" - Abba</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Torn Between Two Lovers" - Mary MacGregor</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Higher And Higher" - Rita Coolidge</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Best Of My Love" - The Emotions</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Southern Nights" - Glen Campbell</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1978</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Night Fever" - Bee Gees</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Shadow Dancing" - Andy Gibb</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Stayin' Alive" - Bee Gees</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Kiss You All Over" - Exile</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Three Times A Lady" - Commodores</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Boogie Oogie Oogie" - A Taste of Honey</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Baby Come Back" - Player</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Emotion" - Samantha Sang</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"You're The One That I Want" - John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Grease" - Frankie Valli</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="87%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">The Top 10 Singles of 1979</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"My Sharona" - The Knack</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Le Freak" - Chic</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Bad Girls" - Donna Summer</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"YMCA" - Village People</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Reunited" - Peaches and Herb</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Ring My Bell" - Anita Ward</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"I Will Survive" - Gloria Gaynor</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Too Much Heaven" - Bee Gees</TD></TR><TR><TD width="17%">
</TD><TD width="83%">"Hot Stuff" - Donna Summer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Wow, just about the only song that hit the top 10 in the entire decade that doesn't make me wretch is Fame by Bowie.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Lol....

mickey-mac said:
Wow, just about the only song that hit the top 10 in the entire decade that doesn't make me wretch is Fame by Bowie.
I liked At seventeen by Janis Ian & Let it be by The Beatles.

But you are right....top 10 lists are usually putrid.

Len

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
Stairway To Heaven

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
lousylegs said:
Can anyone tell me a 1970s classic* rock song that is good?

*By "classic" you know what I mean - the kind that they play 3 times a day on the "classic rock" stations that nearly every town has, where the play list goes something like this:

Meatloaf - by the dashboard light
Seger - katmandu
Anything from REO
Ted Nugent - catscratch fever
etc.
OK, to give a straight answer I'll go with Walk This Way by Aerosmith.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Did Steve Miller, Steely Dan, The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, Queen, AC/DC (especially in the 70s).... to name few.... suck?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
KenB said:
Did Steve Miller, Steely Dan, The Eagles, Thin Lizzy, Queen, AC/DC (especially in the 70s).... to name few.... suck?
actually, i love you. NONE of those sucked.

·
off the back
15,271 Posts
just a few off the top of my head:

Bob Seger-Night Moves
Springsteen-Born to Run, Badlands, Thunder Road
AC/DC-Highway to Hell, Back in Black
Free- Alright Now
Alice Cooper-No More Mr. Nice Guy
Van Halen-Dance the Night Away, Beautiful Girls
Van Morrison-Brown-eyed Girl, Tupelo Honey, Wavelength, Caravan
The Band-Up on Cripple Creek, The Weight
The Stones-Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Woman

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
KenB said:
Did Steve Miller (<b>YES</b>), Steely Dan (<b>NO</b>), The Eagles (<b>YES</b>), Thin Lizzy (<b>NO</b>), Queen (<b>NO</b>), AC/DC (<b>NO</b>) (especially in the 70s).... to name few.... suck?
I done answered.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Springsteen - Incident on 57th Street, Rosalita, New York City Serenade
Born to Run, Backstreets, Jungleland, Thunder Road

Bowie - Space Oddity, Alladin Sane, Moonage Daydream, Suffragette City, Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans. Fame

Elton John - Levon, Tiny Dancer, Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses, Tumbling Dice

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)

Billy Joel - Just the Way You Are

The Emotions - Best of My Love

Earth Wind and Fire - Reasons, September

The Bee Gees - How Deep is Your Love, Night Fever

A reminder: this was the decade of the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Boston, Journey and Peter Frampton and such.

Now you see the true face of IL SOGNO!!! Go ahead, flame me...I dare ya! Flame me! BWAHAHAHAhahahahahaha :D :D :D .............................................. .:eek:

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
il sogno said:
Springsteen - Incident on 57th Street, Rosalita, New York City Serenade
Born to Run, Backstreets, Jungleland, Thunder Road

Bowie - Space Oddity, Alladin Sane, Moonage Daydream, Suffragette City, Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans. Fame

Elton John - Levon, Tiny Dancer, Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses, Tumbling Dice

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)

Billy Joel - Just the Way You Are

The Emotions - Best of My Love

Earth Wind and Fire - Reasons, September

The Bee Gees - How Deep is Your Love, Night Fever

A reminder: this was the decade of the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Boston, Journey and Peter Frampton and such.

Now you see the true face of IL SOGNO!!! Go ahead, flame me...I dare ya! Flame me! BWAHAHAHAhahahahahaha :D :D :D .............................................. .:eek:

Yeah, its easy to harp on the 70's but if you look at any decade there is an abundance of crap. Pretty good list Sogno.....Every era has it's turds but there are a whole lotta gems in there as well

I would add some notable 70's music that did not suck.....

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant and Holidays in the Sun [ Classic in it's influence ]
Van Halen I- whole damn album...I spent countless hours riding pools to this
Pink Floyd - Animals....Dark Side got all the air time as did The Wall

Oh yeah and that outfit from England.....what were they called...Led Zeppelin I think

Listen to Gallows Pole really loud and tell me that song does not kick ass.....talk about a great body of work

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
svend said:
Pink Floyd - Animals....Dark Side got all the air time as did The Wall

Oh yeah and that outfit from England.....what were they called...Led Zepplin I think
Yep, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin two great bands from the seventies.
Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, The Wall.

Led Zep II, III, IV etc... Great albums.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I agree with most of the posts about the better music of the 70s, but then why do those radio stations continue to play only the crap (with maybe a good song every 10 or so)?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Boston's debut album.

When the guitar kicks off "Long Time" it still makes me smile.

·
off the back
15,271 Posts
lousylegs said:
well, I agree with most of the posts about the better music of the 70s, but then why do those radio stations continue to play only the crap (with maybe a good song every 10 or so)?
lowest common denominator.

i swear, last year the local classic rock station would play, each hour, one song from the Stones, Van Halen, The Who, Aerosmith and AC/DC. each and every hour. now consider that the average song is maybe 3-4 minutes, and they play maybe 40 minutes of music every hour, that leaves just 20 minutes/hour for other bands.

and maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but their playlist was strictly confined to maybe 6-8 songs by each of them. so it's the same damn stuff over and over again.

i don't mind music being restricted to formats on the radio. classic rock, alternative, whatever. what bugs me is hearing the same damn songs, day after day, week after week. and no matter the format, they all do it. please radio, can we do away with the restricted playlists? we've got 50 years of rock and roll history to choose from. why confine everything so narrowly?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bingo, we have a winner

rufus said:

i swear, last year the local classic rock station would play, each hour, one song from the Stones, Van Halen, The Who, Aerosmith and AC/DC. each and every hour. now consider that the average song is maybe 3-4 minutes, and they play maybe 40 minutes of music every hour, that leaves just 20 minutes/hour for other bands.

and maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but their playlist was strictly confined to maybe 6-8 songs by each of them. so it's the same damn stuff over and over again.

i don't mind music being restricted to formats on the radio. classic rock, alternative, whatever. what bugs me is hearing the same damn songs, day after day, week after week. and no matter the format, they all do it. please radio, can we do away with the restricted playlists?

That is exactly what I am talking about.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
rufus said:

i don't mind music being restricted to formats on the radio. classic rock, alternative, whatever. what bugs me is hearing the same damn songs, day after day, week after week. and no matter the format, they all do it. please radio, can we do away with the restricted playlists? we've got 50 years of rock and roll history to choose from. why confine everything so narrowly?
Stop listening to conventional radio. Internet radio is where it's at. Satellite is still owned by the big companies like Clear Channel that want to make you have to pay to get decent radio instead of listening to the wasteland that they have made out of FM radio today.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:
Yep, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin two great bands from the seventies.
Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, The Wall.

Led Zep II, III, IV etc... Great albums.
And yet the only songs you'll hear by those bands on most FM stations is:

PF--
1) Money
2) Another Brick in the Wall pt 2
3) Comfortably Numb

LZ--
1) Stairway...
2) Rock n Roll

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Also; Nazareth; Hair of the Dog