Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proof that justice is blind and in some cases plain stupid!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun28news

Hamilton to keep Olympic time-trial gold medal

The Court of Arbitration for sport (CAS) yesterday dismissed the appeal filed by Viatcheslav Ekimov and by the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC). Ekimov and the ROC had requested an annulment of the decision made by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2004 that US cyclist Tyler Hamilton would not be sanctioned after a non-conclusive result of an anti-doping blood test after the time-trial event at the 2004 Olympic Games.
"Tyler Hamilton can retain the gold medal he won at the time-trial event in Athens and the ranking of this race is definitively confirmed," the CAS said.
Hamilton is currently serving a two-year ban for testing positive for blood doping at the Vuelta in September 2004. The CAS upheld that ban in February, which came into effect one month after the initial doping test in the Olympics had led to suspicions Hamilton had used a blood transfusion to boost his endurance.
The International Olympic Committee had to abandon its investigation because Hamilton's backup specimen was mistakenly frozen, leaving too few red blood cells to analyse.
Athens runner-up Ekimov would get the gold medal if Hamilton was disqualified. Michael Rogers, who finished fourth in the race, the Australian Olympic Committee, and the International Cycling Union (UCI) participated in the procedure as interested parties. Rogers stood to get the bronze medal if the appeal was successful.
The CAS panel has dismissed Ekimov's appeal on the grounds that he and the ROC had no standing to file an appeal with CAS in accordance with the IOC anti-doping rules applicable at the time of the 2004 Olympic Games.
Hamilton has also been implicated as one of the 58 cyclists named in the Operacion Puerto scandal. Spanish newspaper El Pais alleged on Monday that the investigation's dossier indicates that Hamilton was placed on an extensive doping programme by Dr Eufemiano Fuentes, the former Kelme team doctor at the centre of the investigation.
Hamilton said on Monday that, "I was very upset to read the accusations against me and to see my name associated with the 'Operacion Puerto' investigation in Spain. I have not been treated by Dr Fuentes. I have not done what [is alleged].
"In addition, I have never been contacted by authorities in Spain regarding these allegations," he said.

We all know TH was blood doping in 2004, yet due to a cock up he gets to keep his ill gotten gains. I thought tricky Dickie was good but TH takes the biscuit!

And to cap it all he may be racing in the Autumn
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
If only the US Supreme Court were as "stupid" as CAS instead of inventing law and ignoring principles to get the result they want and damn the consequences. That stupidity by CAS will likely lead them to rule in favor of ASO on excluding Astana too. Will they suddenly be smart then?
 

· Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,158 Posts
ultimobici said:
And to cap it all he may be racing in the Autumn
[/FONT]
So, he paid his time, until they change the rules to a lifetime ban, nothing wrong with him coming back.......

David Millar
Johan Museeuw
Frank Vandenbroucke
Richard Virenque
etc
etc

just to cap it all
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
svend said:
So, he paid his time, until they change the rules to a lifetime ban, nothing wrong with him coming back.......

David Millar
Johan Museeuw
Frank Vandenbroucke
Richard Virenque
etc
etc

just to cap it all
It's the fact that inspite of all the evidence he still maintains his innocence. An innocent person doesn't chop and change their story over an over like TH did. If he was innocent I would not have expected to hear of "disappearing twins" and "chimeras". I would not have expected to hear of him declining to be re tested. I would not have expected to hear of warnings from the UCI in the months leading up to the Olympics and Vuelta etc etc.

So, with the evidence and his defence strategy, I am convinced he doped.

As far as the others are concerned, if I never hear of VDB I won't be disappointed, he is clearly a lost cause. Has Museeuw been convicted yet?
But Virenque is the worst kind of doper. One that lies and cries his way through life. He is a stain on cycling and an insult to our intelligence. "Ma Verite" was a shameless effort to twist the truth to his vision. He is the French TH in my book and stole all of his KOM jersies while at Festina. IMO the record is still held by Bahamontes & Van Impe.

I don't condone what Millar did. Nor it would seem does he. He admitted his guilt and took his ban on the chin. Admittedly he did appeal the length and the start date, as I would have. But he is back having served his ban in relative obscurity. Good luck to him, he has taken responsibility for his actions, and has vowed to ride clean and educate other up and coming riders too. He hasn't ridden in any competitions unlike TH either.

I have no sympathy for unrepentant dopers, not until they admit their guilt and take responsibility for their actions.
 

· NeoRetroGrouch
Joined
·
6,493 Posts
It's just so terribly inconvenient when organizations establish laws, rules and procedures and then follow them. Can't we just crucify those we "know" are guilty? We could call it the "Poundistic Rule of Law". - TF
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
What causes you to believe the other riders were innocent? Not that I don't place great weight on the importance of basing disciplinary measures on "convictions" based on admissible, acceptable evidence introduced against the athlete in accordance with established procedures. But Hamilton has no such "conviction" as to the Olympic TT, so the claim that the medal was stolen would appear to rest on the belief that the other riders were not doping. That's a hard case to make these days. Justice may be blind and may be stupid, but whether this is an example of it isn't all that clear to me.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Tyler

I think the whole Tyler mess is a sad one. Like him grinding down his teeth to win, he has clingled by his last thread to his innocence. And his innocence was only really based on the perception of a stellar personality, one based on integrity. If not for that, he would have been just another rider getting caught, much like Heras. Too bad he did not come clean at the time, because he keeps on getting nailed for the same offense. I would imagine why more riders don't just fess up at the times they are caught is partly due to them knowing that most if not almost all of the guys around them are doping as well. In thier minds they are only doing what you have to do to keep up, and in one respect they are. I don't feel bad for Tyler being caught, but I feel bad for his judgement to not come clean about it, he has destroyed his character two times over.

All one needs to do, especially an American is to look at Pete Rose. He has disgraced himself over and over and over, and hel even when he finally admits his wrongdoing. If he did it early on, like Tyler, then time would look more favorably upon him. What a pud!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
harlond said:
What causes you to believe the other riders were innocent? Not that I don't place great weight on the importance of basing disciplinary measures on "convictions" based on admissible, acceptable evidence introduced against the athlete in accordance with established procedures. But Hamilton has no such "conviction" as to the Olympic TT, so the claim that the medal was stolen would appear to rest on the belief that the other riders were not doping. That's a hard case to make these days. Justice may be blind and may be stupid, but whether this is an example of it isn't all that clear to me.
His first sample was originally -ve then +ve, but when they went to test the B sample it had been frozen making it useless. Then he is +ve at the Vuelta and it emerges that the UCI were warning him in the spring about his blood.

That in itself is suspect, but when you look at how he defended himself it sounds alarm bells.

The fact that no one else came up +ve is not an indication that he was alone but that he was the only one who was caught. Luckily for him he got of on a technicality as a result of a cock up in storage.

Just because you get aquitted doesn't mean you didn't do the crime.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goose127 said:
I think the whole Tyler mess is a sad one. Like him grinding down his teeth to win, he has clingled by his last thread to his innocence. And his innocence was only really based on the perception of a stellar personality, one based on integrity. If not for that, he would have been just another rider getting caught, much like Heras. Too bad he did not come clean at the time, because he keeps on getting nailed for the same offense. I would imagine why more riders don't just fess up at the times they are caught is partly due to them knowing that most if not almost all of the guys around them are doping as well. In thier minds they are only doing what you have to do to keep up, and in one respect they are. I don't feel bad for Tyler being caught, but I feel bad for his judgement to not come clean about it, he has destroyed his character two times over.

All one needs to do, especially an American is to look at Pete Rose. He has disgraced himself over and over and over, and hel even when he finally admits his wrongdoing. If he did it early on, like Tyler, then time would look more favorably upon him. What a pud!
Well put!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top