Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Whats the battery life like? It says up to 10 hours but that's camera only and probably the lowest quality settings. I would be interested if it is somewhere around 6 hours with 1080p 30 FPS and some kind of pulsing light at the highest brightness.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I got mine today. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, other than to play around with it and set up the app.

Some early findings.

• It feels well made (solid feel)
  • Nice packaging
  • Accessories are included (universal go-pro style mount, USB charging cable, 16GB Micro USB Card with a SDCard adapter for your laptop).
  • It's fairly bulky - going to take up some space on your handlbars
  • It's VERY heavy. I guess if you consider it's a 400 lumen light AND a 1080p camera, it's understandable, but yea, it's heavy
  • The Android APP is still not released (no iPhone?, no joy!)....
  • One a scale of 1-10, the usability (user friendliness) is about a 2 (at least as a beginner). Much like the Shimano cam, if you had one of those, you have to memorize a bunch of beep and colored LED light sequences to understand what is going on. It will probably get better once I've used it a bit.
  • The app looks nice, but it's not terribly user friendly either. I had some trouble with the dialogs closing before I could get the device name and password entered, and apparently this can only be done on the first connection - I haven't found a way to rename it or set a password in the menus - still digging
  • The "Alarm" function only works when the unit is connected to the phone - presumably via Bluetooth.. I mean, yea, having an alarm is nice, but if I have to be within 30' of my bike, I don't see that being all that useful.

I hope to bike commute tomorrow morning and will try to give it a first run. I'll report how that goes. Hopefully I won't need to test the 'Incident Mode'.. at least not in a real accident....

Edit to add:
Here is a link to the instruction manual. It will give you some idea of the 'usability' stuff I was talking about.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshd...6Vgadk=&response-content-type=application/pdf

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I just spent a little time getting it mounted on the bars. I'll try to take a picture and post it tomorrow.

I tried mounting on the GoPro adapter underneath my K-Edge Garmin Mount (converted to ELEMNT). It was an extremely tight fit (withing .5mm of back edge rubbing against the stem faceplate). This position was a no go.. at least for evaluation purposes. With it mounted upside down, you can't see the Status LED (it's on the 'top' of the unit). Additionally, because the back edge was right up against the stem faceplate, I couldn't get to the power or WiFi buttons to activate the thing.

So, I moved my ELEMNT over to the left side, off center, and used their provided mount on the right side, with it mounted above the bars just off center to the right. It's ginormous! But at least in this position I can get to the button to turn it off and on, and see the status LED.

I'm not a weight weenie.. far from it, and I'm not terribly averse to having stuff on my bars (i've ridden with my iPhone5 mounted there, and the ELEMNT, and a light)... but dang this thing is like having a small suitcase on my handlebars. It is going to take some getting used to for sure.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I kickstarted it but decided not to use it, I gave it away.

Why?

Too heavy.

I'm waiting patiently for the next version to come out that'll be smaller/lighter. I understand about battery life and all but I also understand Moore's law.

I have nothing else bad to say about it, it's a great piece of kit and they've done well. It's just too big/heavy for this guy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unless it's 15 lbs the weight is a complete non-issue. A heavy front light will help balance out my rear rack and bag of clothes. ;)

I commute to/from work and it's basically my insurance policy. Especially since there was a guy on a bike that was hit and killed two days ago right on my route. :(

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Yup, I agree with you Neolithic. Weight won't be a factor in whether or not I use it. Especially on my daily commutes.

Of course this isn't going to prevent you from being killed. It's obviously useful to you or your estate as evidence in proving fault (hopefully it's not yours).

I used mine this morning for my commute in. I'm still processing video to see how the overlay stuff works, but I did have a chance to review some of the video clips.

Mounting is going to be an issue for me. Right now I have it mounted on top of my bar, using the provided mount, just to the right of my stem. I moved my ELEMNT mount to the left side of the bar, which is it pretty far offset to the left side. Not ideal. Anyway, even with the ELEMNT to the left side and the Fly12 on the right side, the ELEMNT is still in the field of view by a considerable amount. The only way this is going to be resolved is by mounting it inverted under the ELEMNT, which means the buttons will be difficult to access, and there could be some conflicts with cables, especially on bikes with mechanical shifting (I rode a Di2 bike this morning).

A quick look at the video and I while I wouldn't say it blew me away, it's more than adquate for it's intended purpose. It's probably not something a professional video producer would want to use, but it's pretty good and definitely would make good 'evidence' as discussed earlier.

Once I have a chance to play around with the app, and get a video set up with the overlays, I'll post about that, and perhaps a link (if it's not too embarrasing :p )

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
One more point about using bike video as evidence...

I was hit by a car last June, while riding on a MUT. It was definitely the drivers fault, although there were some confusing statements made by 'eyewitnesses' who stopped.

When I hired a lawyer... one of the most experienced and prolific bicycle lawyers in the area, recommended by the major bike clubs, etc... He asked me if I had a camera on the bike when the incident happened. I told him I didn't. His response was curious... he said... "Good.. it can sometimes just cause more problems than it solves". I didn't ask him about this, but I took it to mean that if what is on the video doesn't correlate exactly with my official statements given to him and the police (and at trial if that happens) then it can actually damage my credibility, and bring doubt where there previously wasn't any....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Finally! I've been using the Fly6 for a couple-a-few weeks, now and definitely want the same for the front. I also run with a Lezyne front light and occasionally my GoPro but GoPro just isn't up to the task for this purpose with it's incredibly limited battery life. Replacing both with just one unit specifically designed for the bike is a win. I'm going to pull the trigger on this but I'm waiting till the Android app is out and experienced.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've been playing with the video editing this afternoon, and have been having some trouble. I've attempted 4 or 5 times to edit a 5 minute video and add the strava overlay. Of my 5 attempts (each of which takes about 20-25 minutes), the app has crashed right at the end 3 times.... Once, the video finished, but the strava data was wrong (it wasn't updating as the ride progressed). The last try was a 3.5 minute video and had the same result (app crashed at the end - no video).

I gave up on the longer videos out of frustration decided to try a short 15 second segment. This worked, and I was able to publish the ride to youtube.

This is sans Tram Lines, but shows the Strava Overlay and the Map Overlay (the two things I'm most interested in).

You can see my ELEMNT hogging up the camera on the right side. I'm going to move the Fly12 back under the Element mount when I get home tonight. It's really the only mounting option that's going to work for me. I'll just have to deal with the difficulty reaching the buttons and not seeing the LED to know it's on.

Obviously my issue is on my end... at least judging by what I'm seeing on youtube there are a ton of other longer videos being published. I'm using an iPhone 5s, and there is plenty of storage space available for these longer videos (760MB or so per file), so I'm not sure why it's crashing...

Edit: Having looked at that video several times now, I'm confused about the colored bars on underneath the HR and Watts data fields. The HR is full red at 158, but goes to one bar of green at 156. I guess it must scaling for just that short segment, which is totally useless. My max HR is about 170. In this video I'm somewhere around Z3/Z4 transition I think.

I also noticed the audio is kind of strange. The Fly12 is mounted on Enve carbon bars wwith the provided aluminum mount. It's transmitting some deep thudding sounds when I go over even smallish bumps. It will be interesting to see how the audio is when I ride on gravel and such. Thankfully, you can't hear me wheezing and gasping for breath :p~

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I might suggest, contact Cycliq on their support site and open a ticket. I just had an anomaly with my new Fly6 stopping recording after a few segments. I went on their site and after searching the issue, opened a ticket explaining my problem. It was late evening here in PST time zone and fortunately that coincided with their Australian time zone work hours and they were back to me within an hour. By the time I went to bed, I had the fix and was able to try it the next day to confirm. Anyway, they have great tech support so don't be afraid to use it. I'd guess they're gearing up for it!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'll definitely engage them, but for now, I think I have a theory about what might be causing the crashes and Strava data weirdness.

I suspect that, based on the way the strava data is integrated into the video after the ride, that the video editor gets confused if the ride is paused along the way. I suspect it gets out of sync at that point.

I'm going to experiment with this and see if I can confirm.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I was able to get another video with overlays to save. This one was about 2 minutes long. However any video I try to save that is longer than 3 min, the app crashes as before the video is saved.

I searched their support site and found that at least one other person is having the same problem. The tech (Anthony) suggested they try a different Strava account (um.. no...), suggesting that some Strava accounts don't allow the data downloads. Well, if that was the case, the shorter videos wouldn't work. They also suggested to make sure the latest Strava app is installed on the device (I do, although I don't use the Strava app on the phone, I use the Elemnt to upload to Strava). Anyway, I fail to understand how the local Strava app has anything to do with the Cycliq app using Strava API's to pull data down from my linked account.

Anyway, I created a ticket. I'll be interested to see what they have to say.

After playing around with this on the iPhone 5S (which I despise greatly) for several hours this afternoon and this evening, I really hope they develop an actual desktop computer application (presumably Windows and Apple based) for processing this video. It's just too time consuming and tedious to do this on the small screen. The Strava integration process is proprietary, so the overlays can't be done with 3rd party software. You *have* to use the iPhone to do it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You have to give them credit for responsive tech support, that's for sure...

Here is the response I got from them a few minutes ago...

cycliq.com support said:
Thanks for reaching out.

We are working on a few bugs that may be affecting some users using certain model iPhone from saving clips over 90 seconds. We will release an update as soon as we are confident we have solved the issues some users are experiencing.

The Android smartphone app is currently in testing and we hope to release this very soon!

So at this point no Android app, and an iOS app that only functions on video clips shorter than 90 seconds (on some phones)...

Yes, lets do hope that gets fixed very soon.. cuz... ugh...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Here are the pictures I promised.

This shows the Fly 12 mounted underneath my Wahoo Elemnt using a gopro attachment on the bottom of a K-Edge XL Garmin Mount (with the ELEMNT insert).

I apologize for the poor quality and blurryness. Phone pics blah blah blah...

Hopefully they convey how tight the back of the Fly 12 is to the stem faceplate. The power and wifi buttons are back there, and fairly hard to get to, and pretty much impossible to see.

What it doesn't show is that the status LED is on the bottom of the unit, where it can't be seen unless you are doing a handstand. Some of the early test units had a ring LED around the back of the unit that was visible from any direction. I guess they opted to not use that.. bummer..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Migen, thanks for all the useful info.

Regarding the Fly12/Stem interface, do you own a GoPro by chance? If so, chances are you might have a mount extension in your pile of mount goodies. I'm thinking the shortest extension that is maybe 1" with 2 blades on one end, 3 on the other? Some will have a 90° orientation but there is one that is purely an extension. That might help drop your Fly12 just enough to get it away from the stem faceplate and make the buttons more accessible. You can buy the GoPro bits, too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts