Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was riding rollers, no handed. Who cares you say? Well I do as it was my first time, and first time on rollers, period.

Rollers are a good time, and I'm glad I have a narrow hallway in which to learn.

I tried the eyes closed bit for a few times, and found myself leaning against the wall the third time. It is entertaining watching that front wheel wave around after you open your eyes.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't used rollers, they are worth it, and it will clean up your balance on a bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Timmons said:
So there I was riding rollers, no handed. Who cares you say? Well I do as it was my first time, and first time on rollers, period.

Rollers are a good time, and I'm glad I have a narrow hallway in which to learn.

I tried the eyes closed bit for a few times, and found myself leaning against the wall the third time. It is entertaining watching that front wheel wave around after you open your eyes.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't used rollers, they are worth it, and it will clean up your balance on a bike.
Congrats...I've been on the rollers for about 3 months now and I still can't do the no-handed thing. And the one time I came off was due to closing my eyes. Guess I'll stick to the "staring straight ahead keep your hands on the bars don't talk to anybody" method that's been working to date.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
used them for years, then stopped riding, then started riding again a few years ago.

finaly got a new set this winter, and it was like riding the proverbial bike, except i had never done the no-hands thing. well, i started doing it, and generally felt confident. my mistake. was riding out of the saddle and had brief lapse in concentration. wump! down i went. no big deal, just a bruise on my right @ss cheek :)

Orb said:
Congrats...I've been on the rollers for about 3 months now and I still can't do the no-handed thing. And the one time I came off was due to closing my eyes. Guess I'll stick to the "staring straight ahead keep your hands on the bars don't talk to anybody" method that's been working to date.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They sure do build confidence until you fall over. :) I got to no hands by just increasing difficulty, such as one hand each side, one hand on the wall, then on the opposite wall. The easiest way for me to get to a no handed position is by slowly taking my weight off of my hands until I'm down to one or two fingers and then just lift them. Fortunately for me, I have a very narrow hallway.

They do help your form, I have my first real ride post rollers, and I'm much smoother and more efficient.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Lights Out

I roll in my basement, and one night last winter my wife forgot I was down there and turned the lights off. It took about 10 seconds of me screaming to alert her to turn them back on. All the time I kept rolling, sweating bullets that I'd fall. Thankfully, I didn't.

In reference to falling, I've gone off the sides before, but that wasn't so bad. The worse fall I ever had was when I was just sitting there on my bike, not spinning, holding on to the pole I'd use for support. The front drum wasn't adjusted for the bike I was using (too far forward). Somehow I wasn't paying attention, the front wheel cocked 90 degrees and slammed to the floor behind the front drum, sending me and "the boys" crashing into the nicely pointed quill stem. Actually, the point of impact was about 1" above the boys, but they hurt nonetheless. The pain was unbelieveable.

That kept me off the rollers for a bit. Really shook my confidence. But I'm back on them now, and much more cautious when starting and stopping.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I was riding my rollers in a doorway last year, and lost focus, got a little squirrelly, and started to lose my balance. my arm instinctively shot off the handlebars and smacked the doorframe... Hard. It hurt so bad I thought I'd broken my arm. On the plus side, I stayed on the rollers!

otherwise, rollers rock.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I find no handed almost easier than "handed"- what about did me in was practicing standing. Rollers aren't so great for my 'taint- if you know what I mean. I never get numb on the road, but rollers are different- so I practiced standing on them briefly. Unfortunately, as my weight shifted I rode off the back of them. The chain ring gouged the drum and the tire burned a mark into the carpet. At least it was the greasy basement/bike carpet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice - for your 1st time you must pedal pretty smoothly to go no handed. I used to ride rollers a lot, then stopped for about 10 years [riding rollers] and I've just started up again. My 1st time back I was having problems standing up for more than a few seconds - no handed is (agree w/ filter) almost easier than 'handed.' Riding no handed and being able to stand up for a bit help the old 'taint' a lot for roller sessions. Also, a Killer Headwind is manditory for enough resistance for serious interval work - or else Dyno-Lite or the Dyno-Mite (I have the "Lite" ones and am able to spin the 53x15 w/o working too hard)

If you can do maximal intervals (w/ a Killer Headwind) on rollers, it does wonders for your pedaling vs. on a trainer.

I have no idea why anyone would buy a trainer vs. rollers excepting $$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts