Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Bzzzt, thanks for playing but you demonstrated that you don't know much about pro grand tour racing.

This might be interesting - how would you change the rules if you were put in charge of them?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Isn’t the yellow jersey specifically for riders who are a jack-of-all-trades in cycling? Riders who kill themselves for individual stage wins ride a different race.

If he had won stages, no doubt he’d be the hot topic in the Doping forum.

If you want to be pissed about something, OP, be pissed about DeGendt getting robbed from winning the prize for most combative overall.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Yea...Froome was going to win the GC before the race even started. His fiercest competition was his own team riding off the roads, and his bikes giving out under him.

Sounds more like UK Postal when put that way golly gee.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm not going to recant the whole race but actually Bardet, Uran, Martin and Aru also sat on Team Sky's wheels. These guys had two very good chances to put Froome out of the race, but, they wouldn't "pull the trigger". Why blame Sky for this.

There is always going to be a "richest" team and a "poorest" team at the TdF.

·
Registered
20,826 Posts
This loser didn't win a single stage
Wasn't the best at any discipline (sprinting, climbing, TT, etc...)
So you really really really don't understand how it works, which is quite simple.

The winner of the Tour de France (all 21 stages), is the person with the lowest overall time.
Simple huh?

Winning an individual stage in the TdF is as relevant as winning an individual lap in a Crit race.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not going to recant the whole race but actually Bardet, Uran, Martin and Aru also sat on Team Sky's wheels. These guys had two very good chances to put Froome out of the race, but, they wouldn't "pull the trigger". Why blame Sky for this.

There is always going to be a "richest" team and a "poorest" team at the TdF.
Good point.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Are any of the competition crying about Froome's strategy and performance?

No. They are all acknowledging they got beat like an old rug.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
One of the riders with an actual realist shot at winning due to the route layout had a season ending injury on stage one. This is despite the fact he is 37 years old. His absence also lead to his team completely falling apart and basically disappearing for the entire race.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
One of the riders with an actual realist shot at winning due to the route layout had a season ending injury on stage one. This is despite the fact he is 37 years old. His absence also lead to his team completely falling apart and basically disappearing for the entire race.
Is there a prize if we can guess who you refer to in less than three attempts?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Yea...he had no team to speak of,and stood zero chance of winning GC

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yea...he had no team to speak of,and stood zero chance of winning GC
That team fell apart when he got hurt. On paper it was a fairly strong team. Most of the mountain stages this year were very good for him. This is not the first time that team has fallen apart and disappeared without him to lead them. They did the same for a year and a half when he was given his doping ban.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't blame Froome, he did what was needed to win, his team was the strongest, they have the most money. If the ASO wants the TDF to keep eyeballs on it, it needs to significantly change the race to reflect the current state of cycling competition and sporting events. If they want the race to more dynamic in the post "everyone dopes" era, they need to reward risk. Not as in danger, as in, reward attacks and death or glory breakaways. I'm tired of the GC guys riding the climbs together, eyeballing each other while the commentators try to make every little test sound like an attack that will break the race apart. And, then they all come back together.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
He could have burnt more to win a stage or two and have less in reserve for the next stage. Do you think that's a good strategy?
That is what TUEs are for, am I right?

·
Banned
748 Posts
He could have burnt more to win a stage or two and have less in reserve for the next stage. Do you think that's a good strategy?
Let me see if I get this straight,, someone with so little passion gets to suck the wheels off his team for 19 stages, have the freshest legs and actually rides well on one stage (20[SUP]th[/SUP]) and he gets to ride into Paris as the winner? Not a great story line!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.