Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
hairy-legged roadie
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently snagged a Moser M76 frame, and am now in need of a wheelset.

Road conditions: Suburban/rural routes in MD including rolling hills.
Use: performance over comfort 70/30 if that makes sense (it'll be my training and potentially coolegiate racing bike)
Me: 6' 1" and 200 lbs in full riding gear.

I'm leaning toward shimano Ultegra ($/performance ratio) so I'd settle with a shimano freehub Ritchey WCS hubset (around 450g total), and I am torn over spoke count and rim selection. Why Ritchey WCS? PRICE and I don't mind sealed bearings.
I'm thinking for my weight I'd go with 28h rear and 24h front. A good idea?
Now for rims, I am a tad lost over the number of ones available and what I want them for. I was considering lighter rims sacrificing some comfort for quick-spinning rims. Any advice?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Choices

Well, if it were me, I would not go 28 on the rear at 200 lbs. Wheel weight is a VERY minor issue when the total package is pushing 220 lbs. 24 on the front would not be a problem, though if you ever broke a spoke the wheel would almost surely be unrideable. For the rear, you should be strongly considering an OC rim, like the Velocity Aerohead OC. This will really help with wheel strength and durability. Your choice on how to balance these issues.

·
hairy-legged roadie
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to sound ignorant

Kerry Irons said:
Well, if it were me, I would not go 28 on the rear at 200 lbs. Wheel weight is a VERY minor issue when the total package is pushing 220 lbs. 24 on the front would not be a problem, though if you ever broke a spoke the wheel would almost surely be unrideable. For the rear, you should be strongly considering an OC rim, like the Velocity Aerohead OC. This will really help with wheel strength and durability. Your choice on how to balance these issues.
But how do Off-center rims necessarily increase durability?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Necessity

SJBiker said:
But how do Off-center rims necessarily increase durability?
Only if the wheel is well built, as always. Building with OC rims gives you more even spoke tension and better bracing angles, and in the hands of a good builder, this will give a more durable wheel, all else equal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts