Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the rumours flying around, I thought I'd start another one.

With the Schlecks forming their own team and Speciali(z)ed sponsoring Contador, the road is clear for Campy and the Schlecks to announce that due to dissatisfaction with the performance of Sram equipment the Schlecks have chosen to ride Campagnolo.

If I was their marketing guy I'd seek to announce it while chaingate is still fresh in the collective memory.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Get past chaingate. Maybe he should look for a sponsor that will allow him not to lose 42 seconds in a prolouge time trial. That is what cost him the race.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
someone who makes good TT bikes

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Campy? They still make that?

·
Registered
857 Posts
SRAM must have an excellent sponsorship program. If I were given the opportunity to use any 3 I cant say that SRAM would be top of the list.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Mark Kelly said:
With all the rumours flying around, I thought I'd start another one.

With the Schlecks forming their own team and Speciali(z)ed sponsoring Contador, the road is clear for Campy and the Schlecks to announce that due to dissatisfaction with the performance of Sram equipment the Schlecks have chosen to ride Campagnolo.

If I was their marketing guy I'd seek to announce it while chaingate is still fresh in the collective memory.
Even if SRAM caused the problem I doubt he would say so publicly the industry is too small and you run into the same people over and over. Also other companies would see that and while they might work with him cause hes a top riders that is not considered a good way to handle things.

Plus blaming the gear is pointless. Someone put that stuff on the bike and maintained it (Team Mechanic) and someone (Andy) decided to shift cross geared you can't just say the group is defective (considering the market share) and have any crediabilty.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
32and3cross said:
Even if SRAM caused the problem I doubt he would say so publicly the industry is too small and you run into the same people over and over. Also other companies would see that and while they might work with him cause hes a top riders that is not considered a good way to handle things.

Plus blaming the gear is pointless. Someone put that stuff on the bike and maintained it (Team Mechanic) and someone (Andy) decided to shift cross geared you can't just say the group is defective (considering the market share) and have and crediabilty.
I would agree. Crap happens, stuff breaks, etc. On the other hand, one would assume if you were making an attack on a mountain stage, you'd be in your small ring before making the move.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
"No, no, no, nobody's fault!"

spade2you said:
I would agree. Crap happens, stuff breaks, etc. On the other hand, one would assume if you were making an attack on a mountain stage, you'd be in your small ring before making the move.
+1 Agree - I don't think it was either equipment failure or user error - I tend to agree with SRAM on this one - just a bad combination of circumstances occurring at a really bad time - sheet happens!

I think Team Schleck will go with whoever offers the biggest bucks, as I don't really believe there is such a huge performance difference in the high-end stuff as many on this forum like to believe.

I'd be more interested in new or absent bike companies getting into sponsorships if they can afford to do so - I've seen enough Treks, Cannondales, Specialized and Cervelos on television to last me a lifetime.

BTW: Does Trek make a good TT bike?

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Ridley makes a good TT bike and they are Belgian, so close to Luxembourg

I'd like to see Andy on a Dean.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Campy Commentary

Coolhand said:
Campy? They still make that?
You're a funny man, Coolhand! :D

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
LostViking said:
+1 Agree - I don't think it was either equipment failure or user error - I tend to agree with SRAM on this one - just a bad combination of circumstances occurring at a really bad time - sheet happens!

I think Team Schleck will go with whoever offers the biggest bucks, as I don't really believe there is such a huge performance difference in the high-end stuff as many on this forum like to believe.

I'd be more interested in new or absent bike companies getting into sponsorships if they can afford to do so - I've seen enough Treks, Cannondales, Specialized and Cervelos on television to last me a lifetime.

BTW: Does Trek make a good TT bike?
Given the UCI weight restrictions and interest in removing certain aerodynamic advantages, I don't really think any companies/components can offer the pros a distinct advantage over another. Sure, I'd like to see the UCI drop the weight limit a tad (perhaps the average amount that most teams are having to add) and allow TT bikes more technological development.

I think almost every year you'll see some of the less known companies endorse a team for a couple years. Any more, you basically need to have a winning team for the endorsements to really matter, which is why a company like Bianchi will tend to go all out every couple of years or so. I could definitely see Campy trying to be a little more aggressive in 2011.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
32and3cross said:

Plus blaming the gear is pointless. Someone put that stuff on the bike and maintained it (Team Mechanic) and someone (Andy) decided to shift cross geared you can't just say the group is defective (considering the market share) and have any crediabilty.
I haven't seen or read much about chaingate, but this was my question: If Schleck got delayed by his own poor action, why is there a scandal?

I understand the honor in waiting for a competitor who crashed, even if you're not sure at the time who caused the crash, but a miss-shift is a competitve failure.

·
Honey Smack!
7,966 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
Ridley makes a good TT bike and they are Belgian, so close to Luxembourg

I'd like to see Andy on a Dean.
How long is Ridley tied in with Katusha?

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
254 Posts
Sram Rocks

carbonLORD said:
SRAM must have an excellent sponsorship program. If I were given the opportunity to use any 3 I cant say that SRAM would be top of the list.
I was running Dura Ace and switched to Sram Force. Now I'm running Sram on both road bikes and my cross bike. I was hesitant at first, but it's amazing stuff. The chain throw Andy had could have happened with any of the big 3. There's a reason that so many teams are running Sram......the quality. And the sponsorship helps as well.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts