Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new set of Record cups for a compact crank set. I bought them new from Ribble. I assumed the stuff is a thread locker but it was taking insane amounts of torque to turn the cups and they were only about 2/3 of the way threaded. They also made a gritty sound and I envisioned the threads of my shell being ground away.

I took them back off, cleaned as much of the stuff off as I could with mineral spirits and then used a little grease to put them back on.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
It's the life essence of Tullio, distilled down and then dried in exotic Italian pizza ovens (designed by Pininfarina in Cambiano, built by Fiat in a Turino ghetto).

Or at least that's what I imagine it is. There is a slight possibility I'm wrong.

I always lube the threads with antiseize, but keep the thread locker on there because it does seem to keep it from loosening.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Umm....did you remember to clean the threads of the BB shell first?

Also, years ago I noticed that Italian threaded components tended to have slightly sharper threads, and slightly larger major diameters. They always used to go in harder, unless you chase the receptive threads first with a tap.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
It is a lightweight thread locker. Sometimes it gets pre-applied pretty heavily.

The cups should mostly have threaded in by hand....was this a new frame or an old frame you previously used?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2010 Colnago EPS frame, new cups. The previous Super Record cups threaded in and out easily. Not my first bottom bracket rodeo by far, but my first with UT. I cleaned the threads before installation. All is well now but I was curious if this was the typical.

It was the gritty aspect that raised my concern. Maybe the guy in the factory was a little hungover that day.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts

It was the gritty aspect that raised my concern. Maybe the guy in the factory was a little hungover that day.
No, the 'gritty aspect' was simply from junk and corrosion on the BB shell threads. I didn't hear the magic word "tap" used, so I assume that you didn't chase the threads first? In that case, yeah, it's gonna be a b!tch to screw in (or out, for that matter of fact).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.