Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I should go on another Forum page to ask, but it seems like it matters some here on pro racing..

Just curious as to the brand and the model shifters and deraileur that allowed him to 'de-chain' unintentionally and lose the most important race in the world with a jammed up chain. What was he doing to make a chain fall off on a climb anyhow?. Has there been any rap about that anywhere?

With full factory support and professional mechanics likely working the bikes over after every day and the most skillful professional riders in the world doing the shifting in the biggest race all year, the guy still manages to cause his equipment to malfunction?

Seems like us mortals might want to find out what brand he was riding and maybe choose to use a different brand that won't do that at a crucial time, like Andy Schleck's did....You can't argue with the fact that his equipment choice caused him problems...and possibly cost him a whole season of work and theTDF ..

I am all for equipment that's the best possible stuff, newest, latest, most expensive, biggest advertising budget..... but it has to work as flawlessly as possible all the time and work day in/day out, problem free. I know some of the Pros were choosing to ride older Shimano components in some of the Spring Classics...for reason?. Wonder if that reason was they had chains coming off?

I bet AS will be using a chain keeper from now on..Bad luck, but perhaps somewhat caused by his equipment also...What?

·
Registered
212 Posts
SRAM Red.

Same gruppo that helped AC win the TDF.

Newsflash: 99.9% of the time you can attribute things like this to operator error.

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
Schleck's fault, not the gruppo. He powershifted as he hit a bump and dropped his own chain.

He and Conatador have the same bikes and the same component group.

Again Andy's fault, but he wouldn't have won the tour anyhow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
He was riding scram. Liggett or Sherwen talked about it this morning and said it was because Andy shifted several gears at once putting the chain at an extreme angle from the front gears.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason1500 said:
He was riding scram. Liggett or Sherwen talked about it this morning and said it was because Andy shifted several gears at once putting the chain at an extreme angle from the front gears.
Never ridden Sram. Maybe that feature, the ability to shift a bunch of gears all at once, is not such a great feature..People always seem to 'diss' some of the older stuff that you must tap the lever for each gear changed...Maybe not so lame after all..

I know, all kinds of folks will now say..."It ain't Sram...any stuff can be missused...cause your chain to toss off" and they will be right, I guess. But when it happens at that level with the kinds of professional maintainence they must put into that gear...perhaps Sram needs to revise those features to make that outcome less likely..

.For a dorky club racer and self-mechanic who's probably gonna be on less well maintained gear than Saxo or Astana or RS...maybe I will wait a few more years to try the Sram...now. Not the best advertising for that brand...

My Shimano 9sp hardly ever has problems and it is OLD...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
avalnch33 said:
Schleck's fault, not the gruppo. He powershifted as he hit a bump and dropped his own chain.

He and Conatador have the same bikes and the same component group.

Again Andy's fault, but he wouldn't have won the tour anyhow.
The only time I dropped a chain was when my FD was way out of adjustment. A modern road group on a relatively non-bumpy road (ie not racing cross or cobbles) should not drop a chain no matter how hamfisted you shift it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Not the best advertising for that brand...
Considering their stuff was on the bikes for the top two finishers of the TDF, I would say they did pretty well advertising-wise.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Not the best advertising for that brand...
Results speak for themselves.
Scoreboard:
2009 TdF all 3 podiums on SRAM
2010 TdF 2/3 podiums on SRAM

There really slipping...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I think the problem is that stuff USUALLY works TOO well. 99% of the time it will let you shift under load without busting or dropping a chain, so you get sloppy.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I'm not sure discounting the entire brand based upon one particular high profile incident is necessarily fair.

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
i have a red gruppo on my bike, and I love it way better than my DA 7800. It shifts faster and is extremely reliable. I think the starter of this post is just trolling. sorry to say, but you can go up 3 gears at a time on shimano and sram, so your theory on modern technology and dumping gears resulting in crappy shifting isn't reality. it was andy's fault because he was cross chained and put his chain-line at an awkward angle during an acceleration. When he went to shift and put more into his attack, he had a lot of torque on the chain, and tried to shift it under extreme load(powershift). This resulted in his chain not wanting to shift, and chains do not shift well under load, compound that with the bump that made his rear end bounce caused the chain to drop between the small chainring and the frame. It happens, even to the best set up bikes in the world that are worked on by the best mechanics. For those that say they have never dumped a chain unless their frond der wasn't adjusted properly, aren't riding enough.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Maybe I should go on another Forum page to ask, but it seems like it matters some here on pro racing..

Just curious as to the brand and the model shifters and deraileur that allowed him to 'de-chain' unintentionally and lose the most important race in the world with a jammed up chain. What was he doing to make a chain fall off on a climb anyhow?. Has there been any rap about that anywhere?

With full factory support and professional mechanics likely working the bikes over after every day and the most skillful professional riders in the world doing the shifting in the biggest race all year, the guy still manages to cause his equipment to malfunction?

Seems like us mortals might want to find out what brand he was riding and maybe choose to use a different brand that won't do that at a crucial time, like Andy Schleck's did....You can't argue with the fact that his equipment choice caused him problems...and possibly cost him a whole season of work and theTDF ..

I am all for equipment that's the best possible stuff, newest, latest, most expensive, biggest advertising budget..... but it has to work as flawlessly as possible all the time and work day in/day out, problem free. I know some of the Pros were choosing to ride older Shimano components in some of the Spring Classics...for reason?. Wonder if that reason was they had chains coming off?

I bet AS will be using a chain keeper from now on..Bad luck, but perhaps somewhat caused by his equipment also...What?
According to the Sram Rep, AS' bike had the chain watcher on it.
He stated that AS should not been on 38/12 when he attacked.
Two things that surprised me.

A) Yes, I agree that AS should not been on 38/12 but should've that caused a kind of chaotic incident we saw?

B) What the hell was AS doing attacking with 38/12 gear selection?

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
avalnch33 said:
i have a red gruppo on my bike, and I love it way better than my DA 7800. It shifts faster and is extremely reliable. I think the starter of this post is just trolling. sorry to say, but you can go up 3 gears at a time on shimano and sram, so your theory on modern technology and dumping gears resulting in crappy shifting isn't reality. it was andy's fault because he was cross chained and put his chain-line at an awkward angle during an acceleration. When he went to shift and put more into his attack, he had a lot of torque on the chain, and tried to shift it under extreme load(powershift). This resulted in his chain not wanting to shift, and chains do not shift well under load, compound that with the bump that made his rear end bounce caused the chain to drop between the small chainring and the frame. It happens, even to the best set up bikes in the world that are worked on by the best mechanics. For those that say they have never dumped a chain unless their frond der wasn't adjusted properly, aren't riding enough.
Sram, Campy and Shimano.....To each his own.
I will say that I've been using Shimano (mostly DA) since 80's, and other companys has provided me with little or no compelling reasons for me to switch.
Another word, it ain't broke, and I'm not changing it unless it's given to me for free.
I try not to cross chain, but sometimes inadvertently I end with 53/23 or 39/23, yet never experienced what AS has.

·
mattpnewell
86 Posts
cpark said:
Sram, Campy and Shimano.....To each his own.
I will say that I've been using Shimano (mostly DA) since 80's, and other companys has provided me with little or no compelling reasons for me to switch.
Another word, it ain't broke, and I'm not changing it unless it's given to me for free.
I try not to cross chain, but sometimes inadvertently I end with 53/23 or 39/23, yet never experienced what AS has.
then apparently you are the best bike rider of your generation and have no mechanical's due to your own fault or your mechanic. come on if you spent 88 hours in 23 days on your bike you would have a mechanical of some sort.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
avalnch33 said:
then apparently you are the best bike rider of your generation and have no mechanical's due to your own fault or your mechanic. come on if you spent 88 hours in 23 days on your bike you would have a mechanical of some sort.
Of course I am since I don't cross chain right before attacking.:D :D :D
I probably have as many miles as Alberto or Andy......

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
Never ridden Sram......maybe I will wait a few more years to try the Sram...now. Not the best advertising for that brand...

My Shimano 9sp hardly ever has problems and it is OLD...
Sram must be doing something right. they got the top 2 spots in the TdF this year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
CoLiKe20 said:
Sram must be doing something right. they got the top 2 spots in the TdF this year.

Yeah, SRAM cost the guy who finished second 1st place in the Tour. Companies like Specialized, Trek, and SRAM find the absolute best riders in the world and pay them and their teams to use the product so they can then claim that their products are the best. One has to wonder if Schleck would have actually won the Tour had he used either Shimano or Campagnolo. I hope his new team bails on SRAM.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts