Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of car peeps in teh loonje.

Let's just say a Fishr is thinking about a new(er) car...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! My 13 year-old, 240K mile, never had a major repair, gets nearly 30 mpg even now, Honda might get jealous. Here is what I am thinking:

1) Reliable -- see Honda stats above.
2) Good gas mileage
3) Sporty/sports car -- fun to drive
3-A) Two door is cool, but it needs a back seat because sometimes I have teh missus and teh Little Fish
4) Front wheel or four wheel drive
5) Preferably coming off a lease to beat depreciation and get a better car
6) Less than $25K

I love the Infiniti G37, but they JUST started making AWD this year. I'd have to wait another two years for it to come off a lease. The Nissan 350Z is sweet, but RWD. I like the idea of a hybrid, but at 240K miles, I would have replaced 3 batteries at between 3 and 8 grand apiece, depending on what you read.

So, the bottom line: Does Teh Fishr Car exist? What sayeth Teh Loonje?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
AWD is an expensive option. It's kind of the gift that keeps on giving, in terms of maintenance costs. Civic Si sounds like the place to start.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Off lease WRX? AWD, goes like stink. Known to have decent reliability. Mileage is not great though. The new ones look a lot better than the old ones (I have a 2004 TS wagon).

Hmm, you want reliability - so just about anything German is out. If you want a fun car (with marginal back seats), test drive a mini. It's a freakin go-kart on wheels. You could get a new one for under 25k, I think. Add a roof rack for the bikes and you're all set.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Fish. You don't need awd around here anymore. What, we have 2 inches of snow a yr these days? I love my Subies and plan to drive them till they fall apart but if I was looking at new(er) car, I wouldn't get awd. Mazda 3 is a good choice. Civic is nice, but you can probably get a better deal on teh Mazda.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
78K+ on my Mazda 3, and nothing other than scheduled maintenance so far. Not nearly as good in snow as the RAV 4 it replaced, but with a set of Blizzaks it's quite reasonable.

And it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Take a look at a Nissan Altima

2 door. Has alot of the same tech as an Infiniti, sporty with a back seat, not many of them around=unique, mpg might be 24ish.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I've seen a few around. Great looking cars and if they drive anything like the sedans, they'd be great to drive. Also the Honda Accord 2 door is nice-looking as well.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
My bro-in-law's dad, who lives in France, has a Megane. Really nice car, but if you've ever owned a Renault, you'd run away screaming "nooooooooooooooo!!"(Yes, I've owned 3. I have no idea why.)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Not to hijack the thread or anything

But for some reason lately I have this sort of want for an american made truck or SUV. Why i have no idea, maybe because they are in such disfavor by alot of people. Chevys and GMCs come to mind, the loaded out ones with chromy lookin' grills.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'll bet you can get a "deal". Only US manufacturer that I might consider is Ford, and they seem to at least not be drowning at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.