Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the difference in paying $3000 for a component set over a $300 component set; specifically in the shifters? Is it a material difference? I know they say that an Ultegra or Durace set shifts "crisper" and "quicker" than let’s say a Sora set but what is that difference attributed to? I have been looking over some blown up drawings of Campy equipment and assume that Shimano is built roughly the same way so the only thing that I can think of in a difference between a high end to a low end set is a materials difference (whether in the detent gear or in spring settings). Does anyone know exactly what the difference is? Thanks.

I have not researched much on RBR for this question so please excuse my ignorance if this was a topic of another tread.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
$2700
What's the difference between a $300 used car and a $3000 used car??
(they both are cars........right?)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
$3000?

jrb985 said:
So what is the difference in paying $3000 for a component set over a $300 component set; specifically in the shifters? Is it a material difference? I know they say that an Ultegra or Durace set shifts "crisper" and "quicker" than let’s say a Sora set but what is that difference attributed to? I have been looking over some blown up drawings of Campy equipment and assume that Shimano is built roughly the same way so the only thing that I can think of in a difference between a high end to a low end set is a materials difference (whether in the detent gear or in spring settings). Does anyone know exactly what the difference is?
What group are you looking at that costs $3K? But to answer the question, it's just like anything else: choice of materials, tolerances, design details, finish, ammortization of development costs, cache' - all of these things enter into the equation of what people are willing to pay. If you ride <1K miles per year, a low end group could easily last more than a decade, and will work "OK" for most. If you ride 10K miles per year, you might find that the improved durability, functionality, and performance of the higher end components are well worth the cost. No one can decide for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.