Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Right after you decide that you’re pretty good at this cycling stuff.

I think it comes with the mental shift from riding a bike to going cycling.

:D

Carry on Cyclist!

EEC

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
This is a question which begs for ambiguity. There's no clear cut definitive answer. It's not like, "When will I no longer be a virgin?"...OR, "When will I take the test?"...All we know, is that, if you keep cycling, eventually you'll become a skilled cyclist. Until that instant, you'll just be an unskilled cyclist, but you'll still be a cyclist, as long as you're cycling. If you cycle to work upon occasion, most observers would consider you as a commuter. You won't be an experienced commuter, but you'll be a commuter nonetheless. In each instance, you'll just be considered as a beginner, until you reach a point in time, where it would just seem ridiculous to refer to you as a beginner anymore. It's also about self-perception. Do you consider yourself as a beginner? If you do, then you most certainly ARE a beginner!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think it has less to do with time or mileage and more to do with personal confidence and skill. I've been cycling for a year now (began again after a 15 year "break" last June). Since then I've really grown as a cyclist. I've put many miles behind me and have done things I didn't know I was capable of...but I still managed to get "spooked" from time to time, I still hit my limits. I'm still a beginner. I'm definitely more confident and growing quickly but I do not consider myself an experienced rider. I know there will come a day when I finally feel like I'm no longer a newb...I thinks that day is different for everyone.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
For me, the moment was when I replaced my first spoke and started paying attention to the trueness of my wheels. Miles stones are weird, in that I could repack a hub/headset/bb bearing years ago but only recently realized that I lack proficiency trying to unclip while standing up. It's gotta be a combination of things, like five out of nine of any of the following list sort of thing (to be determined by a total stranger on the internet, preferably in the lounge).

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a question which begs for ambiguity. There's no clear cut definitive answer. It's not like, "When will I no longer be a virgin?"...OR, "When will I take the test?"...All we know, is that, if you keep cycling, eventually you'll become a skilled cyclist. Until that instant, you'll just be an unskilled cyclist, but you'll still be a cyclist, as long as you're cycling. If you cycle to work upon occasion, most observers would consider you as a commuter. You won't be an experienced commuter, but you'll be a commuter nonetheless. In each instance, you'll just be considered as a beginner, until you reach a point in time, where it would just seem ridiculous to refer to you as a beginner anymore. It's also about self-perception. Do you consider yourself as a beginner? If you do, then you most certainly ARE a beginner!
I agree. I only bought my first road bike a few weeks ago and have done about 200 miles, but I'm certainly no beginner. I grew up riding bikes and bikes are an important part of my life. I think I felt like a beginner only during the first two rides because I wasn't used to the light weight and responsiveness of the bike. Now I push the bike as much as I would any other bike. It's very personal.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
For me, the moment was when I replaced my first spoke and started paying attention to the trueness of my wheels. Miles stones are weird, in that I could repack a hub/headset/bb bearing years ago but only recently realized that I lack proficiency trying to unclip while standing up. It's gotta be a combination of things...
This (IMO) touches on one facet of cycling that the OP's question (no offense, OP) doesn't address. That being, no longer a beginner at what facet or facets of cycling?? Understanding geometry/ sizing requirements? Fit? Good form/ smoothing the pedal stroke? Wrenching? The list goes on and on....

I've been into this for close to 30 years and learn something new on a regular basis. Besides actually riding, that's one of the things about cycling I love. There are NO experts in every facet. Just varying degrees of knowledge about one or more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.