Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that Iraq once had WMD's and means to deliver them. Saddam used chemical weapons. He used missiles, etc. There is overwhelming proof that he had them and used them according to the UN and others.

The UN also says that he has failed to account for everything he had.

On the same page so far?

So, assuming for a moment we don't find them, then what happened to them?

1. He used them all up.

2. He never had (as much) what we believed he had.

3. He destroyed them all.

4. He hid them well inside Iraq.

5. He smuggled them out of Iraq.

Anyone care to guess? Shouldn't the answer be one or a combination of the above? Does anyone trust Saddam when he said he didn't have any, despite his resisting inspections?

Me, I don't know. I suspect they are hidden or smuggled out.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Gotta clarify, or specify, nuclear, biological or chemical?

Nuclear - never had them, Israel destroyed the source of the material but that apparently isn't the hard part (according to his "bomb maker") building a triggering device and then getting it small enough to put in a missle is the real challenge. The scientists were dragging their feet and only had one the size of a VW bug that was never tested at some point in the past.

Chemical (I think) are the ones that degrade rapidly, probably gone because no new production.

Biological, I would guess shipped to Syria if there was any decent amount.

The real question (if we're at all serious about this being about WMD in Iraq) is do we have all the Iraqi scientists who worked on this stuff in custody. I heard someone of TV saying that the knowledge of these guys alone justified the invasion. Putting them out of work and not accounting for them doesn't make me feel safer.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hard to find

bill105 said:
of syria and some limited amount still in iraq. trucks at suspected sites all over iraq were filmed loading and leaving and driving toward the syrian border. they havent been found. components of a nuklar nature were dug up in 2003. its still too early to know exactly.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36463
I think Iraq is slightly larger than the state of California, and had about the same population. If someone wanted to hide a truckload or two of something here, it would absolutely impossible to find, probably forever -- that is, unless you got to someone who knows where it is. Don't know why that would not be true there, too, or even more so, given that Saddam had 100% control of nearly the entire country.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree, a combination

Furthermore, some are likely still there, right out in the open. A passenger plane in my opinion is one.

I suppose if you don't agree, then what one and then two passenger planes did to our neighbors, families, friends, etc. doesn't count as mass. It does to me. Nobody will ever convince me that a passenger plane is not a weapon of mass destruction.

·
Banned
301 Posts
It's interesting, this

obsessive repetition in your posts. I bet we get to read this seventy or eighty more times, vebatim, before you move on to a new obsessive-repetetive statement.

Do you wash your hands a lot?

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
I doubt the answer will ever be clear

I don't think option #1 is the reason for the lack of WMD. I also believe that the quantities were established during inspections performed after Desert Storm, so that eliminates #2. If #3 were to be the case, Saddam made a grave error in not reporting the fact to UN inspectors. It really doesn't seem like a likely scenario. That leaves us with #4 and #5, which I suspect and would think that reasonably thinking people would surmise also.

AS I stated before, the desert is full of mysteries. The disappearance of WMDs is just another in a long list. One day we may find them buried with King Tut's treasures :D

DougSloan said:
We know that Iraq once had WMD's and means to deliver them. Saddam used chemical weapons. He used missiles, etc. There is overwhelming proof that he had them and used them according to the UN and others.

The UN also says that he has failed to account for everything he had.

On the same page so far?

So, assuming for a moment we don't find them, then what happened to them?

1. He used them all up.

2. He never had (as much) what we believed he had.

3. He destroyed them all.

4. He hid them well inside Iraq.

5. He smuggled them out of Iraq.

Anyone care to guess? Shouldn't the answer be one or a combination of the above? Does anyone trust Saddam when he said he didn't have any, despite his resisting inspections?

Me, I don't know. I suspect they are hidden or smuggled out.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
syria is a snake

their funding of terror with hezbolla and hamas has been documented. hezbolla even had an office in damascus until pressure was put on assad to close it. all that meant was they moved to one without a sign on it.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Can't you post anything but ....

RANCOR? You sound like the one that is obsessed here.

BottomBracketShell said:
obsessive repetition in your posts. I bet we get to read this seventy or eighty more times, vebatim, before you move on to a new obsessive-repetetive statement.

Do you wash your hands a lot?

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
I think they were mostly destroyed and/or Saddam never had as much as we thought. I understand that a lot of the chemical weapons degrade rather rapidly and it wouldn't make sense to stockpile them with no real use anyway. The last case of chemical weapons being used by Iraq was I believe in 1986 so that's a long time to go without using them. Why didn't he use them in the first gulf war? Why didn't he launch chemical or biological WMDs via those SCUD missiles into Israel when he was trying to cause WWIII? If he was ever mad enough there was a fantastic time to go for it.

There is Gulf War Syndrome but I don't know of any real evidence that this was caused by weaponized biological agents or the like.

If Saddam did destroy them, maybe he thought it wasn't worth it in the face of the UN embargos, inspections and no-fly zones. Perhaps he was intimidated by the sanctions imposed by the world community? Maybe Bill Clinton & Co. deserves some credit for disarming Saddam Hussein.

If the weapons existed prior to hostilities and were transferred to other hands to avoid detection, then the Iraq war may go down in history as a major security blunder that scattered these horrendous weapons to god knows whom.

The proof will be in the pudding as to whether GWB's war ends up aiding world peace and the cause of democracy or winds up seriously eroding the cause of freedom and justice in the long run. Nobody knows at this point and we won't for years.

I think most of these questions do have answers tho it's just going to take a lot of time to get them. Obviously the old assumptions based on our previous intel are probably all wrong or nearly so.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kurds?

Sintesi said:
I think they were mostly destroyed and/or Saddam never had as much as we thought. I understand that a lot of the chemical weapons degrade rather rapidly and it wouldn't make sense to stockpile them with no real use anyway. The last case of chemical weapons being used by Iraq was I believe in 1986 so that's a long time to go without using them. Why didn't he use them in the first gulf war? Why didn't he launch chemical or biological WMDs via those SCUD missiles into Israel when he was trying to cause WWIII? If he was ever mad enough there was a fantastic time to go for it.

There is Gulf War Syndrome but I don't know of any real evidence that this was caused by weaponized biological agents or the like.

If Saddam did destroy them, maybe he thought it wasn't worth it in the face of the UN embargos, inspections and no-fly zones. Perhaps he was intimidated by the sanctions imposed by the world community? Maybe Bill Clinton & Co. deserves some credit for disarming Saddam Hussein.

If the weapons existed prior to hostilities and were transferred to other hands to avoid detection, then the Iraq war may go down in history as a major security blunder that scattered these horrendous weapons to god knows whom.

The proof will be in the pudding as to whether GWB's war ends up aiding world peace and the cause of democracy or winds up seriously eroding the cause of freedom and justice in the long run. Nobody knows at this point and we won't for years.

I think most of these questions do have answers tho it's just going to take a lot of time to get them. Obviously the old assumptions based on our previous intel are probably all wrong or nearly so.
Didn't he use chemical weapons on the Kurds after GWI?

·
Banned
301 Posts
Live Steam: I think we established in several posts

yesterday that 'no one will ever convince [Boytoy] that a passenger plane isn't a weapon of mass destruction,' in exactly those words. Given his well-established bent for mindless repetition, I just wanted to move the conversation along. Especially since in the real world where normal humans live and word salad is not normal conversation, WMD has a specific meaning.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
Google says 1988 for the khurds and Iran as well. I remembered '86. But I'm pretty sure it his last use of it was in the 80's.

The UN inspectors did destroy chemical weapons in 92-94 and Saddam says he took care of the rest in 95. Or something like that.

So maybe he did have the full amounts and simply got rid of them.

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
East Rutherford?? Either that or over at Steam's place.

Chem: spent on the Kurds and the rest leaking into Earth from a pit somewhere.
Bio: Won't have them until his connections finish up their Harvard degree programs.(over-hyped weaponry, I understand it's extremely difficult to effectively employ in a WMD fashion)
Nuc: Never had um never will. They couldn't distill gin w/o our knowledge.

Trust SH? Hell yeah. Everyword he says.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Why would I have them?

You may be right about one thing though, they could be in New Jersey ;)

128 said:
Chem: spent on the Kurds and the rest leaking into Earth from a pit somewhere.
Bio: Won't have them until his connections finish up their Harvard degree programs.(over-hyped weaponry, I understand it's extremely difficult to effectively employ in a WMD fashion)
Nuc: Never had um never will. They couldn't distill gin w/o our knowledge.

Trust SH? Hell yeah. Everyword he says.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
#1 Yes, #2 Yes, #3 ?

Mr. H's ego is so huge, he could never admit that he got rid of his nasties.

Lets see, who said "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will start to believe it." ?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
more on syria

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=37098

A Syrian exile who has supplied detailed information on Syrian government activities has become the victim of a suspicious break-in and theft.

The apartment belonging to Nizar Nayuf, a dissident journalist who claimed Iraq's hidden weapons of mass destruction are stored in Syria, was broken into on Jan. 30. He lives in the northwestern Paris suburb of Malakoff.

Thieves stole three CDs that Nayuf said contained information on France's relations with Saddam Hussein's Iraq, specifically involving money transfers between the two countries.

The daytime break-in occurred while Nayuf was attending a meeting at the French Interior Ministry, fueling speculation that French security agents were behind the theft.

After returning to his flat, Nayuf found the doorknob broken off and several drawers emptied. Some things had been moved but only the CDs were missing, Nayuf told police.

Nayuf was freed from a Syrian prison in 2001 after nine years in detention.

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Just getting back at you

for taunting me with that evil dancing "Ooey face" thing. Never thought I'd long for the simpler days of :0). Ah well, that's progress.

·
Banned
14,685 Posts
Bill Clinton ?

:cool: I just had to respond

MR_GRUMPY said:
Mr. H's ego is so huge, he could never admit that he got rid of his nasties.

Lets see, who said "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will start to believe it." ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Steam - it's funny, but he's not the only

one obsessed with me. Modestly speaking, it's quite a regular occurance. I'm very accustomed to it.

Line formed years ago, it's astoundingly long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts