Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to be one. i worked out quite a bit a couple years ago and got pretty firm, but not big. was doing low reps/high weights upper body and high reps/low weight maintenance on the legs, mids, lower back, and arse.

i'd like to get all bulky and like that. is it wrong, the assumption that you have to heavily supplement to get there? i have a gym membership, gym at work, and free weights at home.

hook me up yo!

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
Von?

Von? ;-)

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i'm looking to be one. i worked out quite a bit a couple years ago and got pretty firm, but not big. was doing low reps/high weights upper body and high reps/low weight maintenance on the legs, mids, lower back, and arse.

i'd like to get all bulky and like that. is it wrong, the assumption that you have to heavily supplement to get there? i have a gym membership, gym at work, and free weights at home.

hook me up yo!
I can hook you up with podiumbound.ca aka sprintnick for an agreed fee. Nick'll have you all ripped 'n $hit in no time, doing jump squats and what not.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mickey-mac said:
I can hook you up with podiumbound.ca aka sprintnick for an agreed fee. Nick'll have you all ripped 'n $hit in no time, doing jump squats and what not.
lissen, i've tried the jump squats up to 600 pounds and all'z i got was that fixed-gear feeling. didn't do anything for me.

maybe i should be doing jump-squat headstands with gigantic ankle weights?

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
lissen, i've tried the jump squats up to 600 pounds and all'z i got was that fixed-gear feeling. didn't do anything for me.

maybe i should be doing jump-squat headstands with gigantic ankle weights?
How's about jumpsquat kegstands with 12 packs strapped to your ankles?

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dr hoo said:
What do you mean by that?

More later, meeting now.
i mean i was lifting high weights to exhaustion upper body, 5-7 reps.

legs, 12-15 reps to near-exhaustion.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mickey-mac said:
How's about jumpsquat kegstands with 12 packs strapped to your ankles?
dude, what's the statute on kegs? i still have the one i put all these freaking deposits on, and it was like a month+ ago.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex-in-Evanston said:
http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm

Dozens of articles on structured powerlifting workouts. These are written for competitive lifters (not bodybuilders), but I found their approach worked for a simple fella like me.
how about posting what you gleaned from them? i'll read all that too, but i want your perspective, advice, and reflection.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
It's about 70% genetic, so blame your mom.

My brother and I are both pretty big guys, 6'7" and 6'4". We're old and slow now, but through high school and college (he played basketball at U of San Francisco and I wrestled at a JC before I went into the Army) and into our 40s, we both worked out pretty conscientiously. He could bench 400 lbs all day long, and that wasn't his big event. I could walk an old VW around like a wheelbarrow (I don't think that's cool anymore, but it was a decent party trick in 1966).
The point? Neither one of us ever was at all muscular. Fit, low body fat, pretty well cut, stronger than Babe the Blue Ox, but neither of us ever had any musculature you'd notice. We looked more like runners than power guys. I always wanted pecs that stood out from my scrawny chest, but I don't think I ever even got a visible hemisphere. They just sort of blended into my rib cage at their lower edge.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cory said:
My brother and I are both pretty big guys, 6'7" and 6'4". We're old and slow now, but through high school and college (he played basketball at U of San Francisco and I wrestled at a JC before I went into the Army) and into our 40s, we both worked out pretty conscientiously. He could bench 400 lbs all day long, and that wasn't his big event. I could walk an old VW around like a wheelbarrow (I don't think that's cool anymore, but it was a decent party trick in 1966).
The point? Neither one of us ever was at all muscular. Fit, low body fat, pretty well cut, stronger than Babe the Blue Ox, but neither of us ever had any musculature you'd notice. We looked more like runners than power guys. I always wanted pecs that stood out from my scrawny chest, but I don't think I ever even got a visible hemisphere. They just sort of blended into my rib cage at their lower edge.
i know it's your job, but you have really cool words, Cory.

thanks.

really cool how you make them work asunder and abplomb.

this is why i read your posts, mostly. othwerise, because i like your opinions.

coming to SD yes?

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
dude, what's the statute on kegs? i still have the one i put all these freaking deposits on, and it was like a month+ ago.
I'm going to have to research Tennessee law on that one. Of course, you'll receive your bill in SD.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Individual exercise stuff

I went there to learn about proper form for squats and romanian dead lifts - two things I heard were important for track cyclists. They had all the info.

I picked up some information about workout cycling, but it's mostly just common sense.

I was very surprised to learn how many 1 and 2 rep sets these big boys do. I tried some of that, and found that it sho does work. Maxing on the squat is shattering.

I found that a lot of these fellas stick to less than 5 exercies. That works for me.

I don't do lift religiously. It's mostly something to do in the wintertime, but it's nice to at least do it right, and gain some strength.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mickey-mac said:
I'm going to have to research Tennessee law on that one. Of course, you'll receive your bill in SD.
um, no. you and cooper are taking care of my billS in SD.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
um, no. you and cooper are taking care of my billS in SD.
go get a track back and practice for the 1k tt.

this guy looks like hes about to transform into the hulk

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

hook me up yo!
if ya wanna be hyuuge you're somewhat limited by genetics, but high weight low reps is the way to go to build strength. Eating LOTS of calories and sufficient protein is what gives you bulk. You're gonna have to be eating lots of tuna as I know you don't eat red meat. Bulk for a while and build muscle then cut to get definition. You're gonna gain weight in some areas like the gut as well if you're eating enough. Not gonna be really compatible with cycling though. Free weights all the way if you can. Of course steroids and HGH and the like will shortcut this considerably.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
haiku d'etat said:

hook me up yo!
so.........how much can ya bench........

1 - 20 of 51 Posts