Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
TWD
Joined
·
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ricco? AC?

I wouldn't be surprised to see AC hang out for a day or two and let Simoni or Ricco take the lead. It was interesting a couple of days ago to see AC not have the legs to win that uphill sprint. Will be cool to watch even if it is on rai.it with intermittent stalls
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I'm going with Savoldelli who takes advantage of a situation while the other contenders keep an eye on DiLuca. Paolo holds the pink for one day then Ricco takes it over after Sunday's stage. Contador tries to stay with Ricco on Sunday but is unable to keep him within range to take over the lead. The top 3 on GC after Sunday are Ricco, Contador, DiLuca.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Suzie Green said:
I'm going with Savoldelli who takes advantage of a situation while the other contenders keep an eye on DiLuca. Paolo holds the pink for one day then Ricco takes it over after Sunday's stage. Contador tries to stay with Ricco on Sunday but is unable to keep him within range to take over the lead. The top 3 on GC after Sunday are Ricco, Contador, DiLuca.
Sounds good, Suzie... except I'm not sure Pauolo can hold on to that jersey today. I don't know that much about him, but he seemed to be having trouble on those smaller climbs last week. With the two huge climbs today, I imagine he'll crack and lose the jersey. Of course you may know more about him than I do. :)

Regards, Patti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Patti said:
Sounds good, Suzie... except I'm not sure Pauolo can hold on to that jersey today. I don't know that much about him, but he seemed to be having trouble on those smaller climbs last week. With the two huge climbs today, I imagine he'll crack and lose the jersey. Of course you may know more about him than I do. :)

Regards, Patti
Heh! Thanks for the vote of confidence Patti, but it was more of a wild guess on my part. I was just thinking perhaps a 2nd tier rider would be in a break that might take the pressure off the team leaders. As I watch right now, it looks like Van de Velde is in good shape. But can he climb well enough? Crossing fingers...Rujano and Sella are in the break too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
And the pink jersey wearer is.....

Gabriele Bosisio

General classification after stage 14

1 Gabriele Bosisio (Ita) LPR Brakes
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 0.05
3 Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) Lampre 0.28
4 Riccardo Riccò (Ita) Saunier Duval - Scott
5 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes


Now the question now is, who will be in pink after TOMRROW'S stage???

Here's the profile...



Wow!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Patti said:
Gabriele Bosisio

Now the question now is, who will be in pink after TOMRROW'S stage???

Conti should be in the pink jersey Sunday night, but I think he's going to keep losing time to Ricco and DiLuca as the mountain stages continue as he is clearly not in form. It was interesting to see that there really was no dominant, extra-terrestrial climber from the GC group today. Menchov was the only one from the GC hopefuls who somewhat stood out, barely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
With the unheralded guys and squads like Astana, LPR, and Rabo at the top of the Pampeago today for some reason I kept hearing Marilyn Manson singing "we're all stars in the dope show..."

Contador is most likely in Pink after Sunday simply because he's got a lead over the other favorites already so he could lose time and still be at the top. I really expected Gibo to do more today but it seemed most were holding back today for fear of what Sunday will bring and rode the stage a la Armstrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
I really expected Gibo to do more today but it seemed most were holding back today for fear of what Sunday will bring and rode the stage a la Armstrong.
Me too, the era of having a team of domestiques with 49.99% HCT and/or pumped full of extra read blood cells are over. Teams no longer have the firepower to control whole mountain stages, certainly not for multiple days.

I think the time gaps were, and still are small enough, that they were conservative today plus there was a bit between the big mountains. It doesn't help that Ricco seems to be sick and he has been one of the main animators. I can't imagine they're going to be content to ride together tomorrow. They now know Contador/Kloden are not superior so I think they will be attacked early tomorrow in hopes of getting big time. Plus guys like Savoldelli and Simoni who can descend well will not have to worry about riding on the flats much if at all between climbs if they get away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Simoni actually looked pretty strong and I think he could have busted it and gone with Menchov on that last climb. Somehow I think he was purposely holding back, what with Sunday's stage being even tougher. Should be some more sorting out. I still think Savoldelli is going to try something, just to take the heat off DiLuca, even though Danilo got kinda tailed off a bit today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Suzie Green said:
Simoni actually looked pretty strong . . . . Somehow I think he was purposely holding back.
Simoni doesn't hold anything back -- he will stick the knife in if he has the legs. He would have followed Menchov if he could. Simoni does tend to recover better than other climbers as the mountain stages wear on, so he should be getting a little stronger in the stages to come. Simoni need minutes, not seconds, to secure a podium spot because he doesn't want to rely on an all-flat ITT on the final stage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Simoni doesn't hold anything back -- he will stick the knife in if he has the legs. He would have followed Menchov if he could. Simoni does tend to recover better than other climbers as the mountain stages wear on, so he should be getting a little stronger in the stages to come. Simoni need minutes, not seconds, to secure a podium spot because he doesn't want to rely on an all-flat ITT on the final stage.
How about the uphill TT...can he stay in touch with Contador you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Suzie Green said:
How about the uphill TT...can he stay in touch with Contador you think?
The answer is no way. Contador is the class of the field. Even though he is going at 85-90%, he still has enough talent to have the lead in hand by Monday night. That uphill TT is where we will see some serious time gaps and Contador should ride away with that stage.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top