Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearest (and clearest) riding spot has been having pretty windy forecasts for the majority of this year, with winds starting from 20mi/h. Relocating it's really convenient so I just wondering, how does one approach such conditions and get a good ride out of it - perhaps benefit from it as well?

Right now the current wind speed in my area (South Hills near San Francisco) is 40+mi/h. Tried riding it;I wouldn't say it entirely sucked although it was just a lot of pounding. At the time I was seeing if I could keep moving with my 44T chainring and 12T cog combo. I know that the efficient way to handle such conditions would riding on an easier gear, but is there any pros to muscling it out as well?

I was debating to make this topic in the training section, but I figured it'd be nice to hear input from recreational riders or commuters who might be riding in such weather. I also never heard of training in the wind...

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
lolz you gotta be kidding.

that's a typical spring day in TX.

anyway, you ride the same as you'd normally ride, just slower in some places and faster in others. sometimes I'll pick a route that's more sheltered. sometimes I'll ride "out" into the wind so I get a tailwind coming back, others I'll do a cross-wind direction.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Regularly? I don't have wind like that here regularly. That said, I rode a century Sunday in high winds. 20-30mph sustained with gusts into the 50's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1 creaky

West Texas normal everyday breeze is between 5-25 mph. I usually have to set my route's up so that im into on the way out and with on the way back. Found myself drafting a recumbant in a race a few weeks ago because it was the only break in wind I could find. Just makes you that much faster when its not windy.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i live in deep south texas and all we have here is nothing but wind year round. it can be a pain in the ass especially when the winds decide to change direction, but what can you do? not ride at all? we usually ride into the wind to have a nice tailwind back like creakyness said.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yup. Out against and back with the tailwind.

More often than not though if it's super windy I'll just grab the mtb and duck into the trees.

·
Registered
755 Posts
It has been an extemely windy winter and spring on the front range of the rockies. I will just say this, I dont ride with aero wheels. I think the wind would have slammed me to the ground at this point if i did.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
30mph or so from the west is pretty much the afternoon rule here from May through about August, and I ride straight into it on the way home. Going in is a nice easy coast, about a 500 foot drop in nine miles, then three miles on the flat. The wind comes up around 1 p.m., and it's a slog going home. I hate it every day. Nothing you can go but gear down and grunt.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've known some people from SF and thier wind is nothing compared to the crap we have in Kansas. Tornado alley.

We've had wind pretty much none stop this year and it's worse than ever. 30mph constant straight winds in your face. Pretty much sucks all the joy out of riding.

Try racing in 35mph straight winds. You get off the back of the group and you'll never join them again.

As far as riding in wind you gotta use a lower gear higher cadance to keep yourself from getting bogged down in too high a gear. Use low profile rims to keep the wind from tossing your front wheel around, especially when decending.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I used to live in Burlinggame, right down the road from SF. To beat the winds I rode up in the Hills. I used to go with the wind south and then pop up into the Hills and suffer. Much nicer and better workout.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I try to start my ride going into the wind and hope that when I turn around to come home the wind doesn't change direction as well. Sadly the wind does that far too often...

Usually a high wind is useful for getting in hard intervals because it will almost simulate a hill. The high winds can also simulate motor pacing or drafting by pretty much pushing you along. Nothing better than cranking out the gears with a tail wind and looking down to see you just held 31mph for a mile because of the push.

I hate wind.. however I'm trying to learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
heathb said:
As far as riding in wind you gotta use a lower gear higher cadance to keep yourself from getting bogged down in too high a gear.
Yup, if you don't have any mountains around, and good strong headwind will do.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Riding in sustained winds is tiring and demoralizing, but doable. Gusty wind like we get here in the foothills can be downright dangerous and can blow you into the roadway if you aren't careful.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
In Florida will call it resitance training. We don't have hills so we like a good headwind. Now if you ask who rides as a Cat 3 hurricane approaches, yeah that would be me.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Creakyknees said:
lolz you gotta be kidding.

that's a typical spring day in TX.
Ain't it the truth!

This is wind data from last Sunday when 5 of us rode 54 miles in the afternoon.

1pm S 21 G 32

2pm S 26 G 39

3pm S 32 G 46

4pm S 32 G 45

5pm S 37 G 45

Forecast for tomorrow at 1:00pm is 35mph.

In the Texas panhandle, there is nowhere to hide.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts